Floor lightings confusions

TheCanadianJeeper

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2019
Just unplug the driver side floor light to replace it with KC cyclone but as you can see in the picture there’s 3 wires, does somebody knows which one is the positive and negative and what do I do with the third one? Thanks

92FFA820-6B46-4DAD-ADFA-5D77C6C4F8C3.jpeg

A1BABC7F-BDDB-4C72-8396-6D4940906E53.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
TheCanadianJeeper

TheCanadianJeeper

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2019
Thanks man, but this looks like rocket science to me , will try to understand it tonight., thanks again for the info

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Do you have a test light or multimeter?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Well, I don’t think you will NEED one for this, but it can be used to prove the schematic. Looks like black/violet is ground, or negative, and the other two go to two different bulbs in the footwell. Not sure really what the difference is in a “courtesy lamp” and “ambient lighting”. I ASSUME that the ambient lighting is the dimmable lights that come on with the door closed and headlights on, and the courtesy lamp is the brighter one that comes on when the door is opened (if that is a real thing).

Edit: in case you couldn’t see it in the drawing, the courtesy lamp is the yellow and ambient is the green/white. These are both positives, I’m sure it’s a bad idea to tie them together.

OP
OP
TheCanadianJeeper

TheCanadianJeeper

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2019
Ok, so if I wire my new led from black to black/violet and red to green/white and forget about the yellow one, I should be ok?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Well, that depends. What do you want this new light to do?

Can you post a close up of the bulb that you seem to be holding in that picture? I’m assuming it’s a dual filament bulb, with one on a dimmer and another not.

OP
OP
TheCanadianJeeper

TheCanadianJeeper

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2019
I don’t mind losing the courtesy light. I can just cut it , shrink it and forget about it

58CBF037-EE5B-4FCA-9AC6-D81B950AB6BC.jpeg

FDE8199E-6A6E-45E7-8DB2-459CC3D9A5D2.jpeg

BC9D8077-7FF4-4489-ADA0-BA8EBF0AAC7D.jpeg

F10B42A5-7005-4DB2-88C1-930A55CE58D3.jpeg

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I would just go ahead and cut that whole factory light right off, wire black to black and red to white/green. If I’m reading it right, that wire has a higher amp rating too.

OP
OP
TheCanadianJeeper

TheCanadianJeeper

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2019
Thanks for all your efforts, will go ahead today and keep you posted on the results, finger crossed.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Well, I don’t think you will NEED one for this, but it can be used to prove the schematic. Looks like black/violet is ground, or negative, and the other two go to two different bulbs in the footwell. Not sure really what the difference is in a “courtesy lamp” and “ambient lighting”. I ASSUME that the ambient lighting is the dimmable lights that come on with the door closed and headlights on, and the courtesy lamp is the brighter one that comes on when the door is opened (if that is a real thing).

Edit: in case you couldn’t see it in the drawing, the courtesy lamp is the yellow and ambient is the green/white. These are both positives, I’m sure it’s a bad idea to tie them together.
To give OP some confidence, I agree with this assessment. Just depends on which light system you want to work

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Snipe:
Thanks guys, did it and no sparks .
@TheCanadianJeeper

Ok, looks like you just cut all three wires leading to the factory foot well light....

....Then you got the 12v power for your KC light, by using the green/white wire and your ground is the black wire. You did not use the yellow wire.

Now... exactly, how does your foot well lighting work?

Do you have ambient lighting?

Do you have courtesy lighting?

Does your KC light just go on when you open the door and off when you close the door and no dimmer adjustment with the switch?

Is the stock switch doing anything now?

I just want to make it clearer so if others go to do this they know exactly.. I think the green/white wire is probably the stock Courtesy light 12v but, I'm not sure. I would like to know for sure... probably others would be interested also.

So, if you could please say what you are seeing.. Thanks!

Sponsored