floor carpet removal + interior rhino spray lining

MeddlingFloyd

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU. Sting Grey.
I went with Line-x. I absolutely love it. I mountaineer/climb/backpack and have a black lab. Clean up is a breeze - hose it off and good to go. Note I keep the MOPAR mats installed on entire floor.

I honestly feel the Line-X has aided in insulating and noise reduction. I have 35 inch M/Ts and I barely hear them on highway.

I have traveled hundreds of miles with Bimini top only, got caught in rain and have had no issues with drying/smell/water retention etc..

10/10 will Line-X every Jeep myself ot family own here in out. Between the savings on time, my time/energy, and carpet upkeep, $1200 has been worth every dollar.
Do you have any issues with heat and/or fumes with your liner? Also, what did you do in the cargo area with the storage compartment lid?

I currently removed all carpet except for the rear wheel wells and cargo area. I like the floor mats over the bare floors - but the cargo area and wheel wells are throwing me for a loop so I am thinking of lining everything. I am hesitating a bit because I have been told by other folks (who haven't installed liner) that I should not install because of the fumes that come up when it gets hot. I am assuming this issue wouldn't pop up so much when I have my bikini top on in summer - but more in the winter when I put my hard top on.
Sponsored

BernMason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting-gray w/ Turbocharged 2.0 L DOHC I4
Occupation
PM
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any issues with heat and/or fumes with your liner? Also, what did you do in the cargo area with the storage compartment lid?

I currently removed all carpet except for the rear wheel wells and cargo area. I like the floor mats over the bare floors - but the cargo area and wheel wells are throwing me for a loop so I am thinking of lining everything. I am hesitating a bit because I have been told by other folks (who haven't installed liner) that I should not install because of the fumes that come up when it gets hot. I am assuming this issue wouldn't pop up so much when I have my bikini top on in summer - but more in the winter when I put my hard top on.
Hey, (updated)

I have had no experience with any type of noxious fumes resulting from the installation of Line-X. In summer, I normally run bikini or sun shades; in winter I have not noticed it. I am not sure I fully understand, the issue others described is that when the Line-X gets hot, it releases fumes? Not sure I buy that, what about when it is cooking on the bed of trucks all day? The rear floor vents (the ones that went under carpet) have been taken out, so if the issue means that more heat will be in the front 2 seats, yes that may be the case. If you are that unsettled, maybe try and contact a Line-X rep? From my standpoint, the product was designed to take extremes, my room temp heat/defrost/etc. are nowhere near the design thresholds for the product. My heat does not go north of 100 degrees even in alpine.

Mentioned above -
Left cargo lid covered. Have MOPAR Mats over it. It stays in place that way. I will post photos. The reason I did this is because I did not want to install a piano hinge.

Hope that helps you our a bit.

Last edited:

MeddlingFloyd

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU. Sting Grey.
Hey, (updated)

I have had no experience with any type of noxious fumes resulting from the installation of Line-X. In summer, I normally run bikini or sun shades; in winter I have not noticed it. I am not sure I fully understand, the issue others described is that when the Line-X gets hot, it releases fumes? Not sure I buy that, what about when it is cooking on the bed of trucks all day? The rear floor vents (the ones that went under carpet) have been taken out, so if the issue means that more heat will be in the front 2 seats, yes that may be the case. If you are that unsettled, maybe try and contact a Line-X rep? From my standpoint, the product was designed to take extremes, my room temp heat/defrost/etc. are nowhere near the design thresholds for the product. My heat does not go north of 100 degrees even in alpine.

Mentioned above -
Left cargo lid covered. Have MOPAR Mats over it. It stays in place that way. I will post photos. The reason I did this is because I did not want to install a piano hinge.

Hope that helps you our a bit.
Thank you for the reply - it does help. The fumes I’ve been warned about are not so much not obnoxious fumes from the motor, but ones that emit from the bedliner chemical makeup and, over time, could be harmful. This wouldn’t be a problem in a truck bed, or even in a Jeep with the top off, but I could believe some of it in a Jeep with hardtop on (which I do from Thanksgiving to March). Looking at Line-X, their VOC is zero which, I believe, means fumes are a nonissue so I will contact a rep as suggested.

Question: how did you handle the wiring on the rear wheel wells with the bedliner? The wiring is wrapped, but looks like it can be easily snagged/damaged. (Pictures of your install here would be appreciated).

I did just buy a cubby/storage cover from Tuffy Products that I installed today. Jury is still out on if I keep it or not. In my current “all carpets out” option, it is not my favorite because of the lip it makes. If I spray liner in, I think it will do solid (which is why I am sharing here - see pictures).

FAFEAE7A-A906-43AD-B521-99E79BACE2A0.jpeg

55F26214-B11D-4F8A-B77B-6562F2B689D5.jpeg

BernMason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
PM
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the reply - it does help. The fumes I’ve been warned about are not so much not obnoxious fumes from the motor, but ones that emit from the bedliner chemical makeup and, over time, could be harmful. This wouldn’t be a problem in a truck bed, or even in a Jeep with the top off, but I could believe some of it in a Jeep with hardtop on (which I do from Thanksgiving to March). Looking at Line-X, their VOC is zero which, I believe, means fumes are a nonissue so I will contact a rep as suggested.

Question: how did you handle the wiring on the rear wheel wells with the bedliner? The wiring is wrapped, but looks like it can be easily snagged/damaged. (Pictures of your install here would be appreciated).

I did just buy a cubby/storage cover from Tuffy Products that I installed today. Jury is still out on if I keep it or not. In my current “all carpets out” option, it is not my favorite because of the lip it makes. If I spray liner in, I think it will do solid (which is why I am sharing here - see pictures).

FAFEAE7A-A906-43AD-B521-99E79BACE2A0.jpeg

55F26214-B11D-4F8A-B77B-6562F2B689D5.jpeg
Love the tub cover; will be looking into it. Good to now about VOC zero. One thing I failed to mention was for about a week after install there was some minor annoyance with smell; think like walking into freshly painted room. No lightheadedness or any other symptoms. I installed on summer and, as previously mentioned, rarely have hardtop on.

I am still not sure how to link threads, but the install pics are in an above post. The wires were wrapped and left above Line-x in front 2 seats. In fact, the installer left a strip under the front and passenger seats un-Line-xed where the wrapped wires sit. I scoured the internet for other solutions, but did not find any. NOTE: I saw a JK install thread that removed the center console and thus had enough slack to 'lift' wires high enough to allow full coverage under seats. I do believe the install used Raptor or Lizard skin (?), not Line-X. The process was *involved* and required removal of 4x4 shifter and automatic shifter.

BernMason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
PM
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL floor carpet removal + interior rhino spray lining 55F26214-B11D-4F8A-B77B-6562F2B689D5

Jeep Wrangler JL floor carpet removal + interior rhino spray lining 55F26214-B11D-4F8A-B77B-6562F2B689D5
40537.jpeg

40536.jpeg

Sponsored

Saldaddy00

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited 2.0L
I’m looking for front and rear carpet (JLU) if anyone wants their’s gone. PM, thanks. Very nice pics and discussion.

Joaquim

First Name
Joaquim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Autist
I guess i'll be the first. After 8 miles on the jeep and 3 rock chips!!!! I decided to rhino line the inside and jams. The carpet was designed to come out. It has snap out pieces. All carpet came out in about 10 minutes. My game plan is after it is rhino lined put the carpet back in for the time being. You can raise the snaps (they screw in) to off set the rhino thinness. Here is what the inside looks like with the carpet removed. I think the sound deadening looks better than my JK. If you zoom in you can see the snaps.

Jeep Wrangler JL floor carpet removal + interior rhino spray lining 40536

popped in to see how it was going. they are putting it back together. here are a couple of pictures

Couple more pics. They are still putting it together. They had a full day of prep and taping!!!

How much did this cost for everything? Couldn’t find anyone mentioning the price for all of it

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
The OP hasn't been seen in here for 4 years. I can tell you though that it was probably pretty expensive. Just the prep time alone.
I think he posted it was around $800 but I bet it's a good bit more than that now. Labor rates have gone up.

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
I did this in my old YJ. Wasn't too bad of a DIY project; I think the most time consuming part was removing the seats. Everything else was straight forward....clean the surface, rough it up, clean it again w/ solvent, brush on the liner (can't remember which one i used....probably Herculiner). other than a place where it came loose due to rust, it held up great for 20 years or so!

Last edited:

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Old thread I know, but I'm getting bored waiting for @Armorlite to release their JL Cargo Area to complete the JLU kit.

My concern with just doing straight Rhino liner (or similar) is the sound deadening, which is one reason I'm attracted to Armorlite. I roll with my hard top and a Sunrider most of the time, so it's already pretty loud in my JLU. I don't mind it, but I also am not excited about increasing the loudness.

Has anyone installed additional sound deadening prior to installing the Rhino/Line-X? I hate the carpet.
Sponsored