Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
I love my 3.6L 2018 Sahara. Still more, I'm an infrequent driver. I work from home, especially since Covid I shop a lot from home, and most of trips are short and infrequent.

To restate, I'm the kind of driver who could use his 4xe mostly on electric only. Sure, I'd run the engine by choice now and then to move its parts.

I bought my 2018 at Koons at 5% below invoice. I wonder how much money it would cost me to upgrade. I'd be willing to charge my 4xe when electric rates are cheapest during the day, but I don't own solar panels.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If you hardly drive, in my opinion it matters less. Your fuel expense would be a very small part of your overall budget. Youā€™re better off keeping what you have vs taking on more debt.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Thereā€™s a lot of factors but 99 times out of 100 it makes more financial sense to keep what you got.

If youā€™re just looking for an excuse to upgrade then Iā€™m sure you can make the numbers work out so that you arenā€™t taking a huge hit. Just remember that while this is a great time to sell your 2018, itā€™s also a tough time to be buying.

Either way, it canā€™t hurt to get some quotes from Vroom, carvana or that other site to see where you stand.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Being in Cali, and the Bay Area, I think you have additional tax incentives besides the $7,500 federal.

Have you checked your current trade in value? Vroom takes about 5 minutes to get an offer.

With trade in values where they are, you may have less of a net out of pocket then you think.

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2022 Rubicon XR Hydro Blue
I sold my JT Rubicon and just ordered a new Rubicon 4xE. So Iā€™m gonna say go for it.

But, logically if you drive that little anyways it doesnā€™t make financial sense. YOLO right?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

1) Your first stop should be Carvana, Vroom, and Carmax to see what your 2018 is worth.

2) Next stop is your bank to see what you owe.

3) Last stop is the online builder and/or order guides to see what the 4xe would run you.

Once you have those three numbers, it's easy math.

Is 3 <= 1-2?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Being in Cali, and the Bay Area, I think you have additional tax incentives besides the $7,500 federal.

Have you checked your current trade in value? Vroom takes about 5 minutes to get an offer.

With trade in values where they are, you may have less of a net out of pocket then you think.
I just sold my Tesla to Vroom. Easy process.

Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Iā€™m in the same boat. Trading my 2020 jlur for a jlur 4xe. Factoring in the tax credit,it will run about $1500 for me to upgrade. Carvana is offering about $200 over what i paid for my jeep brand new 18 months ago. Taking the opp to add a few options I regretted not getting the first time around as well.

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2022 Rubicon XR Hydro Blue
Also. I sold my JT to Vroom. I had bought it used, sold it some months later for around 1500 more than I paid for it, even including taxes. Check them out.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I was in the exact same situation as you a couple months ago. Sold my 2018 JLU Sahara 3.6L with 25K miles to Vroom for about $50 more than I paid for it 36-months earlier (just days before my 36-month factory warranty expired). Walked away with about $8,300 in my pocket between sale price and what I owed (Put zero down in 2018). Bought a 2021 Rubicon 4xe.

Benefits:
  • $8,300 net from 2018 sale + $7,500 tax credit = $15,800 extra in my bank acct
  • Reset my factory warranty just prior to expiration
  • Fresh consumables like tires, brakes, wipers, etc.
  • Lower fuel/electricity cost than in my 3.6L for most driving except long trips
  • Hated the 6-speed manual in that 2018. Clutch had a microscopic friction zone. Revs would ā€˜hangā€™ when under full acceleration. Absolutely loving the 8-speed automatic.
  • Added some of the features I wished I had ordered on the 2018
  • Purchase price, and monthly payment are higher, but thatā€™s easier to swallow with all of the above benefits
What I love about the 4xe in comparison to the Sahara 3.6L:
  • Added torque and HP. Slight lag from a dead stop, but rolling pulls are strong.
  • The steering is relatively tight with very little play/wander. HUGE difference.
  • Noise/Vibration/Harshness significantly less in 4xe
  • When driving in all electric, itā€™s like ā€˜stealth modeā€™. Very cool.
I say, go for it!

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
I was in the exact same situation as you a couple months ago. Sold my 2018 JLU Sahara 3.6L with 25K miles to Vroom for about $50 more than I paid for it 36-months earlier (just days before my 36-month factory warranty expired). Walked away with about $8,300 in my pocket between sale price and what I owed (Put zero down in 2018). Bought a 2021 Rubicon 4xe.

Benefits:
  • $8,300 net from 2018 sale + $7,500 tax credit = $15,800 extra in my bank acct
  • Reset my factory warranty just prior to expiration
  • Fresh tires, brakes, wipers, etc.
  • Lower fuel/electricity cost than in my 3.6L for most driving except long trips
  • Added some of the features I wished I had ordered on the 2018
  • Monthly payment is higher, but thatā€™s easier to swallow with the above benefits
What I love about the 4xe in comparison to the Sahara 3.6L:
  • Added torque and HP. Slight lag from a dead stop, but rolling pulls are strong.
  • The steering is relatively tight with very little play/wander. HUGE difference.
  • Noise/Vibration/Harshness significantly less in 4xe
  • When driving in all electric, itā€™s like ā€˜stealth modeā€™. Very cool.
I say, go for it!
i put my order in today with Travis at Tri city keep. Long 8-10 weeks ahead, then I need to move my arb bumper over.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
You'd be surprised at one of my key stumbling blocks for not making this change:

...a roof rack

I use the one on my 3.6L, which is cowl based: as any rack potentially holding significant weight, IMHO, should be. The rack transports kids to college, etc.

The people at Stellantis, in their infinite wisdom, decided to put the charging port on the driver's side cowl.

So I'm faced with working with a welder to design my own driver's side attachment, or somehow repositioning the charging port.

The placement of this port, IMHO, has to be one the stupidest design decisions Stellantis made.

I get that they want to keep the port away from gasoline fumes, but the could have oriented this port on the passenger's side of the vehicle, or at least not in a place so commonly used to attach racks.
Sponsored