Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I've not extensively shopped racks. But this one doesn't seem to have any interference with the charging port, and claims a capacity of 300lbs.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/redrock4x4-jeep-wrangler-full-length-roof-rack-j130926-jl.html
Thanks for this. I should apologize. I didn't fully communicate my needs; which I guess are more particular, but not, I think, overbearing.

I like, with my dual top option, to run a soft top and still have a rack. Best I know that only comes with rack mounts that aren't roof based. : - )

Still more, my current rack allows me to remove unused sections so, for example, I can run the Bestop Sunrider.

Of course gutter mounting and section removal is a design that need not be mutual exclusive. Arguably racks could have both.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Have you reached out to the manufacturer of your current rack? A lot of them are already working on 4xe mods for a bunch of their products, so maybe they are too? 🤞

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Have you reached out to the manufacturer of your current rack? A lot of them are already working on 4xe mods for a bunch of their products, so maybe they are too? 🤞
  • My rack is homemade. Designing for the 4xe driver's side cowl will be very difficult for me.
  • My rack, IMHO, is by design, the best of the LOD and Gobi rack features I like.
  • I made it myself because it was cheaper and I felt that each manufacturer's offering lacked things I wanted that the other had. For example, lifting your rack in the air to have to take the hard top down (Gobi) isn't my thing, and drilling the vehicle, even in invisible places (LOD) wasn't my thing---precisely for the reasons of trade in that compose this thread.
  • I'd gladly though switch to either brand for a 4xe, ideally the LOD one.
  • I've reached out to both vendors a while back. I heard Gobi has some modification in the works for the 4xe but don't know more, and I haven't heard from LOD--which isn't to say they aren't or won't make such modifications, particularly if demand is there.

@lodoffroad

Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Oh! Didn't realize it was home made. That's impressive! Best of luck. Wish I had more to offer, but I'll be rooting for you!

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
I love my 3.6L 2018 Sahara. Still more, I'm an infrequent driver. I work from home, especially since Covid I shop a lot from home, and most of trips are short and infrequent.

To restate, I'm the kind of driver who could use his 4xe mostly on electric only. Sure, I'd run the engine by choice now and then to move its parts.

Thoughts? Thanks.
You are in the right area of the country for EV friendly ambient temperatures and tax credits so that is a Yuge plus.

I would say join the 4xe forum and bone up on the common gripes of the hybrid platform, specifically the FORM mode where EV is not available for long periods of time. The goal is to get the expectations aligned between what you expect and what the 4xe actually delivers. Most 4xe owners are very happy with the 4xe when everything works as expected, but not very satsified with the FORM and lack of EV availability. That is something a new owner has to understand and learn how to manage it.

I myself looked into the 4xe extensively and ended up with a "no go" for this reason:

I don't commute to work and thus my driving needs are less than 20 miles a day. My expecation is for the 4Xe to run in EV every day but that EV mode suddenly will come to an end when the 4xe software decides to run in FORM mode. That mode of operation could take weeks for a user like me to complete due to my short trips not accruing enough run time "up to temps" in order to complete the FORM cycle and restore EV mode only.

I think owners that are able to run the 4xe for more than 15 miles a day AND are willing to operate in hybrid mode will be a happy group as they get to avoid the FORM mode by running the ICE engine on most cycles. Those (like me) that expect to operate in EV mode every day because we drive a few miles a day on short trips will become frustrated with FORM and the amount of time it takes to get out of FORM and back to EV. Given my needs I opted to keep my BMW i3 for my EV short trip needs.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
You are in the right area of the country for EV friendly ambient temperatures and tax credits so that is a Yuge plus.

I would say join the 4xe forum and bone up on the common gripes of the hybrid platform, specifically the FORM mode where EV is not available for long periods of time. The goal is to get the expectations aligned between what you expect and what the 4xe actually delivers. Most 4xe owners are very happy with the 4xe when everything works as expected, but not very satsified with the FORM and lack of EV availability. That is something a new owner has to understand and learn how to manage it.

I myself looked into the 4xe extensively and ended up with a "no go" for this reason:

I don't commute to work and thus my driving needs are less than 20 miles a day. My expecation is for the 4Xe to run in EV every day but that EV mode suddenly will come to an end when the 4xe software decides to run in FORM mode. That mode of operation could take weeks for a user like me to complete due to my short trips not accruing enough run time "up to temps" in order to complete the FORM cycle and restore EV mode only.

I think owners that are able to run the 4xe for more than 15 miles a day AND are willing to operate in hybrid mode will be a happy group as they get to avoid the FORM mode by running the ICE engine on most cycles. Those (like me) that expect to operate in EV mode every day because we drive a few miles a day on short trips will become frustrated with FORM and the amount of time it takes to get out of FORM and back to EV. Given my needs I opted to keep my BMW i3 for my EV short trip needs.
I assume OP made up his mind a long time ago, but make sure you pop a Xanax before looking at that forum. It's like if you stripped any other forum of all the fun, and only allowed people to post to whine.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I love my 3.6L 2018 Sahara. Still more, I'm an infrequent driver. I work from home, especially since Covid I shop a lot from home, and most of trips are short and infrequent.

To restate, I'm the kind of driver who could use his 4xe mostly on electric only. Sure, I'd run the engine by choice now and then to move its parts.

I bought my 2018 at Koons at 5% below invoice. I wonder how much money it would cost me to upgrade. I'd be willing to charge my 4xe when electric rates are cheapest during the day, but I don't own solar panels.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Since the government subsidizes the 4xe it might make sense! Find out how much you can get for your Sahara to do the math!

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I'd be all for hybrid vehicles if they would make one big change, remove every battery save for the starter. Let the engine turn the generator which produces the electricity to run the electric motors directly. Wala, little mini train locomotives.

Batteries suck. They're very inefficient, take way more time to charge for even small distances driven, they create large hardships on our aging power grids and not to mention the burden of us tax-payers to provide the subsidies to convince people to buy these pos's in the first place.

No wonder the 4xe forum is a place for complainers on steroids.

Let's work the problem that may ultimately lead to solutions better than what we currently have (not worse), rather than some undeliverable promise. It seems we're driving off a cliff in our headlong blind acceptance of a technology that is nowhere near ready for prime time.

Let's continue to research and experiment but don't count me in as a lab rat in wanting to go through any of that pain. Especially every several years when those batteries require expensive replacement.

My advice, lease (never purchase) any EV or PHEV sink hole. Save the planet by not burning even more coal behind the scenes during those longer than sin recharge cycles.

Just sharing my thoughts and cynicism. Hopefully a flame war does not ensue.

Jay

Sponsored

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
I assume OP made up his mind a long time ago, but make sure you pop a Xanax before looking at that forum. It's like if you stripped any other forum of all the fun, and only allowed people to post to whine.
Truth. I feel like starting a poll and asking if the first time those owners drove a jeep was the day they picked their Jeep. Most have no idea what they bought and/or buying.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Truth. I feel like starting a poll and asking if the first time those owners drove a jeep was the day they picked their Jeep. Most have no idea what they bought and/or buying.
If you do it just right, you can lease a Sahara for like $300, so probably pulled some people away from civics or entry Germans.

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I'm sure the 4xe is very nice, but I don't drive much either since covid, and my 3.6 just makes me very happy. If you are having issues, I would definitely do the upgrade, but... If not, man the 3.6 is solid, and not that fuel in-efficient, and since I don't drive much, the efficientcy makes less of a diff, and a tank of gas lasts a LONG time. Just my humble opinion. I'm sure since you posted this question you are thinking of going for it, so go for it, report back, and make me sad that I have the 3.6 ;) I doubt that will ever happen. :)
Sponsored