Flat Towing with 4xe... Going to be an issue for most/many

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Quick back story bought a 2017 Fleetwood Class A Bounder 33C in 2018, then purchased a 2018 Sahara JL. The Bounder which was the ford V10 and F21 Chassis (which 99% of Gas Class A's use) was rated for 5000lbs towing. You should know that is only a paper rating as that will change as you load gear onto the RV 90% of the time that 5000lb is reduced based on your gear load. Anyway after 1 set of new brakes (burned them up over the 1st mountain pass) on the RV and only getting 4.9mpg towing the wrangler we sold the Class A and bought a Ram 3500 and 40' Montana 5th Wheel. Loved it getting 10+ mpg, problem was 40' 5er was too long for most RV parks and we love to off road when camping requiring us to drive the Jeep separately. I should mention my 2018 JL Sahara was 4950 lbs.

Fast forward 2021, Sold the Montana and Ram 3500 (nice little $18K Covid 19 Profit) Bought a 4xe and currently shopping for a Diesel Pusher (with the Biden Gas cost increase gas RV is 100% out of the question) besides the 4xe is simply too heavy for 90% of gas Motorhomes to tow. I should also mention here in the PNW we cross steep mountain passes most outings.

Took the 4xe to the scales yesterday and it weighed in at 5900lbs (5600 without passengers). I should mention I have 35's Aluminum bumper with a winch, steps and a Diabolical Slipstream enclosure and a few other lightweight mods. Also this weight was with the soft top.

We are actively shopping for a 35'-38' newer Diesel Pusher (DP) and discovering that most of those are on the freightliner chassis many the Allison Transmission and only rated for 5000lbs towing. I thought how can that be the 340hp and 360hp Diesels and the freightliner chassis is more than capable of towing well over 5000lbs. After further investigation the limiting factor is the Allison Transmissions are the issue. I should mention that most 40' plus DP's have the 8k-lbs and 10k-lbs ratings and no problem but the under 40' DP's not so much.

Simply put that extra 800lbs of battery and electric motors is a game changer. You can maybe squeak buy with NO mods or upgrades to your 4xe but you will still be stressing or near the limits the Tow vehicle powertrain. Long Story short there is a very short list of Motor homes diesel or gas under 38' that can tow a 4xe (maybe 30% of DP and less than 10% of Gassers.

With that said I can remove the spare -90lbs, I have a set of Bestop 2-piece Fabric doors -150lbs (replace hard doors), tow with less than 1/2 tank fuel -90lbs, Store slipstream. removable parts in RV -40lbs. that puts me down to 5270lbs plus tow bar weight.

bottom line if you want to be legal with most sub 40' Motorhomes it will be tough with a 4xe. Weight your RV and TOAD as many states are cracking down of over weight TOADS especially if in an accident.

Jeep Wrangler JL Flat Towing with 4xe... Going to be an issue for most/many IMG_3142
Sponsored

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
realm fs450, 2019 and newer new aire Many shorter super c's if not set on a pusher.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
realm fs450, 2019 and newer new aire Many shorter super c's if not set on a pusher.
Looked at Super C you just lose too much living area with the Cab over and we do not need the bunk. Besides nothing like Driving the Class A with the big front windshield

jpqst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Many of the gas F53 chassis class As have 7-8k lb tow capacity

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Many of the gas F53 chassis class As have 7-8k lb tow capacity

That is 100% False, that is marketing, for example on some Forest River that have 8000lbs listed that is the Hitch rating not the vehicle. For example all (99%) of gas class A uses the F53 why is it 100% of Fleetwood, 100% of Tiffin, 100% of Holiday Rambler have a 5000lb rating yet Forest river on the same chassis puts out the 8000lb again because that is the hitch rating, what is more ironic is many of those Forest river Class A only have the 19" wheels and not the 22.5" that the above mentioned use which in theory wuold be better for towing. Forest river for example does not weight any less. This is nothing more that some lower end RV's trying to game the marketing system. Try and find a dealer that will support you can tow a 8000lb TOAD on a F53.

I bought my first Wrangler JL to tow behind my 2017 35' Fleetwood Bounder V10 F53, what a Joke that was. Averaged 4.8 mpg burned up the brakes on the RV crossing the 1st significant mountain pass. Ended up going to the scales to that RV with 1/4 water, empty black and grey. 1/2 tank (40gal) fuel myself and wife we were over the GCVW by 900lbs, my JL weighed in at 4900lbs.

Point is you will be hard pressed to make 5000lbs and even then you will likely exceed the GCVW once you have gear on board.

We sold the Class A Gas and currently shopping Diesel Pushers many/most have the same issue (38' and under) except the problem for those is most have the Allison 2500 Trans which is the limiting factor, the Chassis and 340hp and 360hp Diesels will pull just fine but the Transmission cannot handle more than 5K.

besides with what is happening with Fuel cost who would be foolish enough to tow a 4xe with a gasser at 5mpg or less. I took my 4xe to the scale two weeks ago and with a few mods and 35's I was 5900lbs.
Sponsored