rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I want to flat tow my jeep But not sure what Towbar and brake system to use, What are you alll using
Any info would help as i am new to this and need to buy something soon,

thanks
Sponsored

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
What type of motorhome do you have; gas or diesel. If its diesel with air suspension and brakes I strongly recommend the SMI Air Force One from Demco. It's a fully proportional braking system and all that it requires for hookup is to plug an airline quick-connect and attach the break-away safety cable.

I personally would not want to be bothered by one of the units that sit on the floor in front of the driver's seat and have to be put in and taken out each time.

As for tow bars, we have a Blue Ox Aventa now but I may go with a Roadmaster when this one wears out. A tow bar is typically rated for about 70,000 miles. Our Blue Ox is at about 55,000 miles now and I spend about $35 per year on its annual maintenance which Blue Ox does at most major RV rallies or you can do it yourself for about half that amount.

willwhig

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I have my 2018 JLUSportS equipped with Roadmaster face plate, Roadmaster Night Hawk tow bar and Invisibrake . Towing behind a 40' diesel pusher. I have only towed about 60 miles so far, but will tow over 400 miles over this coming weekend.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Suggestion for you. On our 2012 Rubicon, I had Tomken in Buena Vista, Colorado attach Blue Ox hard points in place of the recovery ring mounts on one of their standard build bumpers. No base plate needed. Maybe you could find someone in your neck of the woods to do the same. We're also thinking of taking them our JL Rubicon OEM steel bumper and see if there is a way to do a similar mod. I've got to pull the bumper to install the winch this week. I'll keep you posted.

In the JK I used an old Brake Buddy that had been through a couple of other toads. It was big and bulky, but it worked. Then, we stole a once used RVi Brake system at a garage sale for $300. Sold the Brake Buddy on CL for $200! The RVi is light and easy to install. Works great. Can't or won't afford the permanently installed brake systems.

OrangeWave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I think I'm closing in on the setup for my new JLUR. The Jeep had the steel bumper group on it already so it looks like the Demco base plate is the only one that fits. I don't want to replace the bumper with an aftermarket unit at this point. Since it's a Demco plate I'm looking at a Demco towbar rather than buy another make plus adapters. Specifically I think the Demco Dominator.

For braking I was looking at the invisibrake but the install looked a little more complicated than I wanted to tackle so I'm looking at the RVi3 instead. It seems pretty straightforward to install and use. My biggest concern is that you seem to need to mount all this extra stuff like their little control center box and the tablet in the RV and I'd rather not have a bunch of other random things mounted all over the RV.

On top of that I guess I need to CoolTech wiring harness and am looking at the deluxe kit that will also charge the battery while towing (I'm worried about the RVi draining the battery and stopping to work). I assume I also need something like the CoolTech powerport kit so the 12V stays hot to power the RVi?

Am I overlooking anything? Any feedback on these products or better alternatives you recommend? Thanks.

Sponsored

New2Jeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS; 2018 HD Heritage Classic Softail; 2012 Victory Vegas 8-Ball; 2003 Monaco Windsor
My plan is to use the RockHard full width aluminium Patriot bumper with tow loops and D-ring mounts added, CoolTech LLC deluxe wiring harness, and M & G Engineering supplemental brake system. I'll have a winch added at the same time, just not sure which winch to go with (also looking for a wench for the passenger seat!). It's going to be expensive, but should be worth it.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
My plan is to use the RockHard full width aluminium Patriot bumper with tow loops and D-ring mounts added, CoolTech LLC deluxe wiring harness, and M & G Engineering supplemental brake system. I'll have a winch added at the same time, just not sure which winch to go with (also looking for a wench for the passenger seat!). It's going to be expensive, but should be worth it.
I have installed a RockHard full-width aluminum bumper with RockHard's optional tow bar connection points for our existing Blue Ox. For braking we are moving our SMI Air Force One system from our previous tow car. While the new front bumper was being installed I also threw on a SmittyBilt winch. Our electrical connector for the Cooltec Wiring Harness is mounted into the face of the bumper to the right of the fairlead, between it and the D-ring attachment point. To the right of the fairlead I inset our Air Force Once air line quick connect and the emergency break-away box. All the connections are high up for easy connection and nothing is hanging out front to get caught approaching a steep embankment.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
WOW. That is a lot of stuff to tow a vehicle. I never thought it would be this complicated.

k4lk

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon RECON edition
For my 2020 Rubicon: Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar, Roadmaster Tow Defender, Roadmaster baseplate, RVIbrake3 with RVI wireless breakaway adapter, RVI towed vehicle charger and 10 tire patrol sensors (6 on coach, 4 on Jeep). Towing behind Thor Aria diesel pusher.

Sponsored

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
2019 JLR, Roadmaster sterling tow bar, second one, replaced first one after 100k miles towing.
Rockhard aluminum bumper with brackets built in and warn winch. Can't remember brake system name but is permently installed. Towed behind 45' DP

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Readybrute elite, rock hard 4x4 patriot aluminum bumper, + LOD frame tie in brackets.

for anyone using the bumper for towing i would HIGHLY recommend you install the LOD frame tie in brackets. If not, undertand that you are towing using very week attachments to the frame. You are putting all of the towing forces on thin metal that was intended for the bumper only. The tie in brackets basically are a truss for the front bumper to the actual frame, not just the bumper tabs.

LSteger

First Name
Lourens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Readybrute elite, rock hard 4x4 patriot aluminum bumper, + LOD frame tie in brackets.

for anyone using the bumper for towing i would HIGHLY recommend you install the LOD frame tie in brackets. If not, undertand that you are towing using very week attachments to the frame. You are putting all of the towing forces on thin metal that was intended for the bumper only. The tie in brackets basically are a truss for the front bumper to the actual frame, not just the bumper tabs.
Hello Matt, et all....
Great tip. I was told by the RockHard tech support person that Jeep added the reinforcement bracket to the JL model. Do you know if that is a correct understanding?
Thanks

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Hello Matt, et all....
Great tip. I was told by the RockHard tech support person that Jeep added the reinforcement bracket to the JL model. Do you know if that is a correct understanding?
Thanks
I did not see it.

it is possible that the frame material & bumper plate have thicker material than before, but to me it is not worth the risk.

the LOD brackets are cheap, and do not add anymore work to the bumper install.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Rockhard aluminum Patriot, blue ox bar, RVI3 brake, Towmate wireless rechargeable light bar with suction mount on rear window..
Sponsored