Sponsored

Flat towing behind an rv.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
Got any finished pictures of the Demco base plate installed? I assume you bought adapters to make it work with the Roadmaster tow bar? So many options...
I was planning on finishing it up on Saturday. I'll post some picks when I'm done. and yes adaptors. I will post pics of that too
Sponsored

Luco

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 GMC 2500 HD, 2010 Seneca Motorhome on Chevrolet C5500
8E6B6E86-30FA-4605-9833-88BF20022FAF.jpeg
Do you have the steel bumper group? It looks like only the Demco base plate works with the factory steel bumper. I'm currently trying to figure out what to buy to flat tow mine.
I have the Rock Hard front bumper with tow tabs. I think Blue Ox has a tow plate for the JL. I saw one recently but can’t remember if it had the steel bumper. CoolTech make a very good wire harness that is an easy install.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I went with the same setup as Luco. Couldn't be happier. Only I went with HF magnetic lights because the Jeep lights are blocked by bicycles. BTW, the RockHard bumper was recently deer tested and came through perfectly. Deer not so good.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crap.... I guess it will be another week. My stock set up was with a plastic bumper... I bought the steel skid plate mount bracket (see pic) but my frame doesn't have the nutserts in the frame for the bracket. Now I have to figure out how to get my hands on those and install them first. I going to be real good at taking bumpers off if anyone needs a hand... haha

IMG_1677.jpg

Sponsored

OrangeWave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Well hurry up, I just ordered my Demco base plate :). I decided to go with the Dominator tow bar, RVi3 brake system, and the CoolTech deluxe wiring setup.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well hurry up, I just ordered my Demco base plate :). I decided to go with the Dominator tow bar, RVi3 brake system, and the CoolTech deluxe wiring setup.
Yeah, so You can't buy the "rivet certs" from the dealer. I will order those today online. I bought the RVi3 too.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, got the nut certs today (rivet certs). I ordered M10x1.50. they fit perfect. I used one of the original bolts and screwed it all the way in to the nut cert and tapped it with a hammer. I included a picture of 2 nut certs, one that is collapsed and one that is not for those that don't know how they work. Easy install up until the supplied skid plate from Demco. If you lay it on the ground in front of you with the part with the cut outs that attach to the bumper towards you and up. Both outer mount points were not even close to lining up with the holes. I had to take it back off and persuade it with a large rubber mallet. They both needed to go "in" and the lip needed to be flattened out. It is possible this happed during shipping, but both were exactly the same, of). You can slide the bumper on a bit to mark where you need to cut. I had to cut the bumper twice as the directions didn't really say.. I attached the wrong pic, the cut with my hand behind it is too short. The reference is, the skin is aluminum, on the inside of the bumper there is a steal support. I cut about an 1/8 into the steal support. (You will understand when you do it)

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
8E6B6E86-30FA-4605-9833-88BF20022FAF.jpeg

I have the Rock Hard front bumper with tow tabs. I think Blue Ox has a tow plate for the JL. I saw one recently but can’t remember if it had the steel bumper. CoolTech make a very good wire harness that is an easy install.
Going RH myself. Looks good

Sponsored

lagunajim

Really quick and easy question. Can you flat tow a Jl 2 Door, manual, sport behind an rv? And is their a "flat tow mode" like my 2016 f150? Any info about flat towing one of these would be appreciated.
I towed a 2011 JK 2-door Rubicon behind my motorhome for 4 years - I lived full-time in the motorhome and visited all of the lower 48, many states more than once.

As another poster said, Jeeps are well known as one of the most ideal "4 down" tows out there.. Auto or standard. Flat-towing can be a bit rough on a vehicle, but for a Jeep it's nothin! Mine was a standard. Per the manual, I put the transfer case in neutral and the parking brake off (duh).

Used a Blue Ox tow bar and matching baseplate. Also put in a premium braking system from USGear - easy install, worked great, and is a permanent under-the-hood solution.

I am certain the JL tows just the same - my new JL will be here next month or so! Have fun :)

swbimny

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jl sport
Blue ox has a base plate for the JL with any bumper, it works great. Installed myself at 70 and went on nicely.
I'm configuring my JL now. Can you tell me what wiring harness you used for lights. I'm having a hard time finding one. Thanks