Sponsored

Flat Towing a Diesel JLU - real world experience?

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
I have been searching and reading, but I can't find a "real world" review/experience about towing (as being towed by a motorhome) a JLU Diesel . With it NOT having vacuum assist, but instead having hydraulic assist, it become more difficult to find options.

Most manufactures say not to use their braking system.
Air force1 is a viable system, but not sure if I really want to tie to the RV air brakes, since we may downgrade in the future and not have the RV air brakes to use.
I am wanting/needing info on what supplemental braking system will TRUELY work.

Setting up my new JLURD as our toad/driver/toy, and need to tie-down what braking system I want to go with. On the now-gone TJ, I used the Ready Brake cable system with a blue ox AutoStop tow bar. I am still using the tow bar, with a new base plate. Contemplating a different braking setup, but info is sparse.

Any information will be appreciated.

If there is an existing thread for this, please post the link.

Thanks
Sponsored

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
I do. With brute ready system and Maximus tow loops. What’s your question.

OP
OP
RubiBlueJLU

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
From your response, I gather it works fine. I just really want to be sure it can overcome the “non assisted” braking.

Here it is....
I have the older style autostop setup. The cable pulls straight into the bar. No arm sticking up like the newer models. Not sure how much pull length it really has.
I went out the other night to see about the jeep brakes. Pushed the pedal down several times and got all the “assist” out of the system. Of course, the pedal went way lower than normal.
When I went to start the jeep the next time, I really had to push hard to get it to accept the brake so it would start.

I guess my question would be:
To make it work correctly, would I need to leave slack in the cable (at the front bumper) to accommodate the shorter pedal travel?
Also, do I need to “bleed out” the assist before travel?

Thanks!

OP
OP
RubiBlueJLU

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
To follow up....
Do I need to “bleed” the assist out if the brakes before I tow, to get the slack out of the cable?

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
To follow up....
Do I need to “bleed” the assist out if the brakes before I tow, to get the slack out of the cable?
I have not done any bleeding of the brakes. I adjusted cable slack per instruction. I think it says sag should be around 4" in the middle of the cable. I tweaked it back and forth based on how much Jeep breaking I was noticing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiBlueJLU

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
I have not done any bleeding of the brakes. I adjusted cable slack per instruction. I think it says sag should be around 4" in the middle of the cable. I tweaked it back and forth based on how much Jeep breaking I was noticing.
Thanks for the input. Just trying to make sure I get braking. Heavier Jeep.
On the TJ, there were times I swear I didn’t get any assist at all. Probably in the adjustment. Lots of miles. I had a toad brake light on the rv dash, so I knew when the brakes were activated on the jeep.

OP
OP
RubiBlueJLU

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
So, I went with my original Blue Ox Ready Brute setup, built into the tow bar. Drilled the holes in the floorboard and ran the cables. Made an angle base to hold the cable end up front. Went with RockJock base plate, that bolted right up to my aftermarket steel front bumper.
Curt wire harness, plugged into tail light harness.
Also purchased a Tow Car Shield ($460)for the front of the jeep, that covers the entire front and windshield ($60,000 investment protection).

Did an initial 100 mile trip today. Had to get the manual out to get it set to tow. Everything worked as planned. Jeep was nice and clean when we arrived. (towed behind a 42' diesel pusher)

292FAD1D-68C5-43DE-A469-234376C051C3.jpeg

4A6FB438-DA0B-48E9-857A-AA656B6EA35C.jpeg

BAKNBLK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT diesel
I tow a 6800+ lbs JK using a Blackhawk all terrain 2 10k with a RVI3, I don't even know its back there.
Jeep Wrangler JL Flat Towing a Diesel JLU - real world experience? 20200711_102819 - Copy 2

kdearmin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
switching from a 2016 jeep to a 2020 jeep diesel can you tell me if the brake buddy will work? the dealers around here are not very helpful other than to say "you might have a steering and or brake issue"

OP
OP
RubiBlueJLU

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
Sorry for the delay in posting.
I have NO experience with the brake buddy system. From what I have read, it should work. You will need a charging line from the rv to the jeep, as the brake buddy uses toad power to run. You do not want a dead battery on arrival.
The biggest issue with supplemental braking seems to be that the diesel does NOT use the typical vacuum system for assist. Any braking system that needs to pump air into the toad braking assist system, such as RoadMaster and Invisibrake, are not usable on the Diesel Jeep. I contacted Invisibrake directly and they told me in no uncertain term that their system was NOT compatible with the diesel Jeep.

Hope this helps.
Again, sorry for the delay.

Last edited:

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
The brake buddy will work. I used it on a diesel grand cherokee. There is also a brakemaster system that will work with the diesel. Roadmaster brakemaster will work with the diesel. It is an air ram that uses the rv's air brakes to activate. It there for is proportional. It is also easy to pop in and out.
Sponsored