Flat Towing a Diesel JLU - real world experience?

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
I have been searching and reading, but I can't find a "real world" review/experience about towing (as being towed by a motorhome) a JLU Diesel . With it NOT having vacuum assist, but instead having hydraulic assist, it become more difficult to find options.

Most manufactures say not to use their braking system.
Air force1 is a viable system, but not sure if I really want to tie to the RV air brakes, since we may downgrade in the future and not have the RV air brakes to use.
I am wanting/needing info on what supplemental braking system will TRUELY work.

Setting up my new JLURD as our toad/driver/toy, and need to tie-down what braking system I want to go with. On the now-gone TJ, I used the Ready Brake cable system with a blue ox AutoStop tow bar. I am still using the tow bar, with a new base plate. Contemplating a different braking setup, but info is sparse.

Any information will be appreciated.

If there is an existing thread for this, please post the link.

Thanks

Advertisement

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
I do. With brute ready system and Maximus tow loops. What’s your question.

OP
RubiBlueJLU

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
From your response, I gather it works fine. I just really want to be sure it can overcome the “non assisted” braking.

Here it is....
I have the older style autostop setup. The cable pulls straight into the bar. No arm sticking up like the newer models. Not sure how much pull length it really has.
I went out the other night to see about the jeep brakes. Pushed the pedal down several times and got all the “assist” out of the system. Of course, the pedal went way lower than normal.
When I went to start the jeep the next time, I really had to push hard to get it to accept the brake so it would start.

I guess my question would be:
To make it work correctly, would I need to leave slack in the cable (at the front bumper) to accommodate the shorter pedal travel?
Also, do I need to “bleed out” the assist before travel?

Thanks!

OP
RubiBlueJLU

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
To follow up....
Do I need to “bleed” the assist out if the brakes before I tow, to get the slack out of the cable?

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
To follow up....
Do I need to “bleed” the assist out if the brakes before I tow, to get the slack out of the cable?
I have not done any bleeding of the brakes. I adjusted cable slack per instruction. I think it says sag should be around 4" in the middle of the cable. I tweaked it back and forth based on how much Jeep breaking I was noticing.

OP
RubiBlueJLU

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
I have not done any bleeding of the brakes. I adjusted cable slack per instruction. I think it says sag should be around 4" in the middle of the cable. I tweaked it back and forth based on how much Jeep breaking I was noticing.
Thanks for the input. Just trying to make sure I get braking. Heavier Jeep.
On the TJ, there were times I swear I didn’t get any assist at all. Probably in the adjustment. Lots of miles. I had a toad brake light on the rv dash, so I knew when the brakes were activated on the jeep.

Advertisement

D&C Designs

Advertisement