Flat Towing 2021 Jeep Wrangler

Ferg

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara
I have recently purchased a 2021 Jeep Wrangler and have it setup for flat towing with an RV. Have actually towed it approx. 90 miles with no issues, but want to make sure the front steering wheels are unlocked. I understand the procedure for setting transmission and transfer case for towing, but do not see anywhere in owners manual about making sure front steering wheels remain unlocked. Any answers/advice appreciated.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just go. It'll follow you. I towed mine 2000 miles for it's inaugural voyage. If you did your homework and got a good towbar mount, towbar and safety cables, it'll pull like it isnt there.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I'm confused....When flat towing Wrangler is OFF so why would there ever be a dead battery?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

After flat towing a few times across the country, I ended up going with an aluminum trailer. It is piece of mind for me to know that if the Jeep breaks anything off road, I can tow it home and fix it there. In addition, I can easily tow different vehicles without having to set them up for the bars and brake buddy.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ferg

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara
@roaniecowpony
@Ferg

IF, I were Toading a JL or JT.... I would, when flat towing, use a fused N1-N2 bypass jumper and have the Aux battery, negative cable disconnected. Upon arrival at destination I would remove the fuse and re-attach the Aux neg. cable..

Depending on how many days to your destination, how you have the Toad set-up.... well, doing as I suggest may save you some real headaches.... from being left in a no start situation.

DO as I suggest.... when you get to your destination... you will be 100% sure, you have an Aux battery that is not depleted... that will act as a backup battery if needed..... just in case your Main battery became depleted as you were traveling...

A bypass jumper will cost you say $9.00 to make up... no cost to disconnect the Aux negative cable.... doing this could save you lots and lots of $ in the long run... and from having issues on your trip...
Thanks for all your commits, good advice.

OP
OP

Ferg

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara
After flat towing a few times across the country, I ended up going with an aluminum trailer. It is piece of mind for me to know that if the Jeep breaks anything off road, I can tow it home and fix it there. In addition, I can easily tow different vehicles without having to set them up for the bars and brake buddy.
I will see how it goes, thanks

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
View attachment 425386

@Twojayhawks

You are kidding I think...... ??

I mean, reality is.... no JL or JT, is ever actually "off"... unless you disconnect battery power coming from both batteries, then it would be OFF.

There are also a whole scad of scenarios that you could toss in that would see you with two dead batteries, when you arrived at you destination with your JL/JT, Toad.
Nah not kidding. Got my JL all set up to flat tow & leaving for the beach in two weeks. I'm not new to flat towing I've been pulling cars behind my motorhome for over 20 years. Most cars/suv's I have towed needed a charge line, fuse pulled, or a batt disconnect. They also needed to be left with key in an aux position so it was obvious there was power draw. I just figured since the instructions call for the Wrangler to be towed in the off position a dead battery couldn't happen. Mine has the 2.0L & no etorque so I just have the starting battery.

Last edited:

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
If you don't have a battery powered aux brake then there is no difference between shutting it off and letting it sit in the garage. I don't see it going dead towing it mine hasn't.

Sponsored

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
If you don't have a battery powered aux brake then there is no difference between shutting it off and letting it sit in the garage. I don't see it going dead towing it mine hasn't.
No powered auxiliary brake I use the Ready Brake. I chose the JL specifically for ease of towing its really gonna piss me off if I get a dead battery with the key off

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
@Twojayhawks

You probably would not have issues when your trips are just to the beach... short runs here and there... Yes, battery related issues in regard to the JL could be an issue if you do cross country trips, etc..

Reality is your JL can have issues... battery related issues in general and it is prudent to learn about your JL. Again, the JL is a whole different animal..
@JDub11

A JL/JT can and will.... just sitting, in your garage for 2 weeks or so, have it's battery(s) depleted and leave you faced with a no start situation..

IF your idea of flat towing it is a 2 day round trip to the beach, then indeed probably no dead battery(s)..

When I flat tow, sometimes it's may many days .... weeks before I reach my final destination and unhook / use the Toad..

Please take no offense... but I can always tell when a guy has a 2020 or 2021 JL/JT.... often they are oblivious to just how much parasitic draw the JL/JT has... how the JL/JT is very prone to battery related issues/prone to battery depletion an more. Did you read in the manual where it states to disconnect the batteries if the JL/JT is to sit for... I think it is 14 days... or was it 17.... 8-) Wonder why..

Yea our use is quite different than yours. You tow for two weeks without unhooking & my whole trip is two weeks. But for the record I'm in KC so the beach (gulf) is 1000 miles one way where we are going. I'll tow for two 500 mile days without unhooking or starting. I carry a jump box & a batt charger & I'm expecting to not need them with the JL. If my JL is ever sitting for 14 days it's likely I'm in the obits! :)

swbimny

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jl sport
@Twojayhawks

You probably would not have issues when your trips are just to the beach... short runs here and there... Yes, battery related issues in regard to the JL could be an issue if you do cross country trips, etc..

Reality is your JL can have issues... battery related issues in general and it is prudent to learn about your JL. Again, the JL is a whole different animal..
I've been flat towing our JL for two years. Trips up to 1500 miles and never had a battery issue. The owners manual provides the information needed to flat tow

swbimny

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jl sport
@swbimny

Well, kinda laughable what you say.... WHY... because JL/JLU/JT's are prone to battery related issues whether you flat tow them or not.

Undoubtedl, you just have been luck it seems with your JLU and may be a tad naive in regard to the dual battery system on the vehicle..

Anyway, it is not that the vehicle is not a decent vehicle to flat tow... to use as a Toad, (if set up properly) but rather, the fify dual battery system on the vehicle.
Don't understand why you think it's "Laughable" what I say. But each to their own. Whether or not JL's etc. are prone to battery issues has nothing to do with flat tow. Like I said, the manual gives specific instructions on flat towing. I take their word for it, not yours. Don't know why you get so hostile about it
Sponsored