Flat tow with LOD signature series Bumper

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I really like the looks OEM steel bumper. And I think it looks good with a winch installation. But I don’t like the standard tow base plate options. I don’t care for the look, and if I ever go off road I’d worry about hitting the tow bar attachment points.

I like the looks of the LOD signature series bumper, and they sell a BlueOx adapter to tow with. Is anyone using this bumper for towing? Can you post pics of your setup? Where do you attach your safety cables? Is anyone using additional strapping from the frame to the bumper in case the bumper breaks loose? I know when I put my tow plate on my CRV it came with additional safety cables to keep the plate from separating from the frame.
Sponsored

vsayler

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
I have a 2019 Rubicon on order and have ordered the steel bumper but am also concerned about this. I will follow this with interest.
Van

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Trying to make the same decision for my 19'. I really like the look of the "Destroyer" series, but some people say the LoD's, or bumpers from Rock Hard, should not be used for flat towing. Don't know who to believe.

vsayler

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
I called Blue Ox today (Chad Luber) and he indicated that they make adapters for after market front bumpers (to attach their tow bars) and if the manufacturers say its okay to tow with them then it is. LOD has adapters listed for their Signature Mid Width front bumper.

Chad is currently waiting to get his hands on a 2019 Wrangler with Adaptive Cruise Control to make sure that their base plate doesn't interfere with the sensors. I told him I thought the sensors were in the windshield, not on the front bumper, but I don't have mine yet so can't fully confirm that.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Trying to make the same decision for my 19'. I really like the look of the "Destroyer" series, but some people say the LoD's, or bumpers from Rock Hard, should not be used for flat towing. Don't know who to believe.
My Rockhard 4x4 aluminum Patriot is awesome and stout. On my 2019 Unlimited Sport S. Also accommodated a Warn Vr10s winch.
I want to stay as light as possible and this gets it done. Also installed the Cool Tech harness and cb antenna and Brake Buddy Stealth supplemental braking system.
All has bee solid.

20181227_155155.jpg

20190110_122252.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jondrew

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Looks nice. Couple of questions:

Does the bumper come with the winch plate, or do you still have to buy that separately for Warn or whatever?

It looks like your safety cables tie to the bumper too instead of the frame somewhere. So if you have a bumper failure and it breaks off, that’s all keeping your car attached in an emergency?

Being as aluminum is more ductile than steel, any apprehension that this bumper would distort over time more than a steel bumper? I know RH makes steel bumpers too.

MinorInsanity

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Mojito Rubicon