Flat Tow, trouble getting transmission D and R to lock in after

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
This was the 3rd time we flat towed the Jeep (2020 JLU 2.0 etorque, auto trans) behind our motorhome. I follow the owner manual instructions to a T. Today, after putting it back in 2low (following instructions), the transmission would not stay " locked into" R or D". Put the transmission in D for example, it would move maybe a foot before you would hear a bit of a clunk and the D on the shifter would flash, and the Jeep would be like the transfer case was in neutral. I tried shifting back and forth to P, R, N and D maybe 15 times and it did the same thing. I also went through the procedure to put the transfer case back in N and then back to 2H a couple of times. Finally I got it to stay in D (so far, only drove it around the parking lot a few times). But, I am now a little uncomfortable with the situation.

Has anyone else experienced this? Thoughts? TIA
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Is it going into autopark?

OP
OP
Archie PJ

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My first thought also, are you doing this with the door open?
Autopark?? What the?? :facepalm: Yep, I think I did have the door open since I was just unhooking and getting the transfer case back in 2H. Guess I will have to look into that Autopark thing. In my defense, the owner manual instructions say nothing about "Shut the door." :LOL: Thank you!!

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
Autopark?? What the?? :facepalm: Yep, I think I did have the door open since I was just unhooking and getting the transfer case back in 2H. Guess I will have to look into that Autopark thing. In my defense, the owner manual instructions say nothing about "Shut the door." :LOL: Thank you!!
Just another one of those things to go on the "things I learned the hard way list"

Sponsored

OP
OP
Archie PJ

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just another one of those things to go on the "things I learned the hard way list"
Absolutely. Between the motorhome and the Jeep, I get an education every day!! Cheers!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Archie PJ

Yes, Auto Park...

I would suggest, when you are preparing your TOAD (your JL) for flat towing that you have the seat belt fastened behind you while you are setting up and getting in and out of the JL during your set-up for flat tow routine.

ALSO, I would strongly suggest that you always leave the driver's side seat belt fastened while you are flat towing, while actively going down the road with the JL/toad hooked up.

Having driver's belt hooked hooked up will prevent you from screwing up, inadvertently, lets say.

Other option is to use a seat belt clip during Toad set-up and when actively flat towing the JL, toad.

Jeep Wrangler JL Flat Tow, trouble getting transmission D and R to lock in after sb-cli

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Archie PJ

Forgot to mention.. and to clarify a bit about the seat belt and driver's door open thing..

... YES, you can have the driver's door open when backing up, setting up the JL for flat towing... You just need to keep driver's seat belt fastened at all times or to use a seat belt on drivers side, at all times when doing so or Auto Park will slam the JL into Park.

G.D.S. 4x4

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
Ditto Rhinebeck, Just latch the drivers seatbelt before ya start. That's what I do!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I use a short " seat belt extender " and leave it plugged in all the time. No annoying chimes, or behaviours, it makes the seatbelt easier to plug in as well. Amazon has it

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use a short " seat belt extender " and leave it plugged in all the time. No annoying chimes, or behaviours, it makes the seatbelt easier to plug in as well. Amazon has it
Yup a quality seat belt extender will do prevent Auto Park, from ever kicking in. Plug in the extender, use daily and fruck, Auto Park.............. JUST BE CAREFUL.... to get a well made, quality seat belt extender and not some flimsy crapola that may break away if you were ever to get into a crash....
Sponsored