Flat-Tow Overnight Vehicle Security - Motels

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm about to take a trip with my Jeep in tow behind my truck. I have a locking hitchpin for the truck-towbar attach. I don't have any locking devices to keep someone from disconnecting the towbar from the jeep. I searched a bit for some kind of locking pin for the attachment between the towbar and jeep. My attach pins are 1" diameter. Anyone have suggestions? I'm about to just give up and get in the jeep and put the transfer case in gear when overnight parking. Your thoughts?
Sponsored

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Does the pin take a spring clip that could be replaced by a padlock or locking pin?

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Some time ago I used an audio only baby monitor to keep tabs on the Jeep when parked at a hotel. Depending on Wi-Fi availability, you could use Blink. Turn up the sensitivity.

For the Jeep, pull the fuel pump fuse.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
I have the Maximus-3 mounts for my Blue Ox towbar, and they use a 7/8" pin that just has pull pins. I found some 7/8 hitch pins (common farm supply item) that I drilled out the pull pin holes on so that I use Master padlocks to keep the honest people honest...

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have the Maximus-3 mounts for my Blue Ox towbar, and they use a 7/8" pin that just has pull pins. I found some 7/8 hitch pins (common farm supply item) that I drilled out the pull pin holes on so that I use Master padlocks to keep the honest people honest...
My setup uses 1" pins, but I get the idea.

Still, after having viewed a YouTube vid on a guy that defeats a locking hitch pin in 2 seconds, I'm going to at least put the xfer case in gear. Maybe even disconnect and stow the towbar and park it in a slot or just leave it in line and disconnect the towbar.

If you're wondering why all the concern, I had a friend loose his trailer and UTV at the parking lot at the Cabelas hotel in Vegas during an overnight there.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Do you have insurance on it? If so, why worry, they build new jeeps every minute or so. What would you do if you just drove the Jeep to the motel?

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Do you have insurance on it? If so, why worry, they build new jeeps every minute or so. What would you do if you just drove the Jeep to the motel?
I just didn't want it to be easier to steal than if I drove it up and parked it. Having a major theft blows the trip, vacation time, and countless hours, days, weeks dealing with getting back to square one. It's still gonna cost to replace it, probably thousands. They usually pay out low book and no compensation for mods.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
My setup uses 1" pins, but I get the idea.

Still, after having viewed a YouTube vid on a guy that defeats a locking hitch pin in 2 seconds, I'm going to at least put the xfer case in gear. Maybe even disconnect and stow the towbar and park it in a slot or just leave it in line and disconnect the towbar.
I watched that video - a sales pitch for the one lock that took quite a bit more work to break. At the risk of jinxing myself, I looked at the hitch on my coach and there's no way one could get a pipe to slip over the lock I use - and I don't use any of those in the video. But if I'm worried, A) I move along and don't stay in places where I have to worry, B) I can always put the Jeep Transfer case back in gear and then lock it all up, making it no easier to steal than anything else, and C) as another poster notes - at some point you have to stop worrying because - you have insurance to cover a total loss.
Sponsored