Flat-tow my 6-speed manual Wrangler - best braking system

Stooge1946

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler S 2-door
I just bought a 2008 JK. Want to flat-tow behind my Class C motor home. Looking for simple install and reliability. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Jeep Wrangler JL Flat-tow my 6-speed manual Wrangler - best braking system 18F22A58-00C6-4432-83E2-AF7490F9332F
Sponsored

ghorsepower

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport
I have a 22 JL I just setup for flat towing behind my class C. I went with the Invisibrake. Install was not too horrible. I mostly followed the etrailers video and improved on the wire routing on my own etc... I thought about some of the systems where you have to put it in everytime and take it out. They are simpler but the in and out every time you want to tow seemed like a pain. So i went for a permanent system.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Braking-Systems/Roadmaster/RM-8700.html

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I have an older version of the RVibrake system. It is one you have to take in and out, but I wanted that as we have multiple vehicles we flat tow. It works fine. I set it to the lowest position as it does zero to help stop my 40,000 pound RV. The only reason I have it is because it is the law and in the absolute rare case that the Jeep broke off, it would stop it from continuing down the road. The chance of a Toad breaking two attachment points and the chains is pretty rare. Make sure you get a TPMS for the tires on the Toad that you can see from inside your rig.

I don't get how the junkyard trains can continue down the highway on their way to Mexico with two shitty rigs attached back to back with a couple of bolts or chains wrapped around the bumper without getting pulled over.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I didn't have the patience to install mine so I had an RV shop put in an Air Force One system. Worked very well in my 4xe which I had them pull before I traded it in for the V6 gasser. New baseplate and reused AF1 going in this week. Decided on a Demco baseplate since it is one of the only ones compatible with a winch in the bumper. Doesn't use the frame that the winch plate is using.

Sponsored

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
I'm using the Rvi ll brake system on ours. I've used the same unit on 4 different Jeeps now and it works great. Easy to store and set up. I put a 12v lighter socket under the drivers seat that it plugs into for power and have the break away wire under there too.
Jeep Wrangler JL Flat-tow my 6-speed manual Wrangler - best braking system 20220530_092128

Jeep Wrangler JL Flat-tow my 6-speed manual Wrangler - best braking system 1670932291276

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
A bother RVI brake user. Very satisfied. Also use a Towmate light bar-mounts on rear window of Jeep-sensor plugs into 7 pin connector on motorhome-gives you brake, running, sequential turn and hazard lights all with Zero mods to your Jeep’s wiring harness. Highly recommend.

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
I tow my 2020 JL behind my class C motor home. I have to keep checking the rear camera to make sure it’s still there. I use a NSA Readybrute Elite II tow bar/braking system. Tied to a Rockjock tow plate it’s the simplest system you can find. Takes me 2 minutes to hook up and half that to unhook. I’ve been up and down the east coast from Maine to Florida a couple times and it’s been flawless.
Sponsored