First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
I've learned a lot on this forum and have used a lot of that knowledge to get mine the way I want it (LED upgrade, Halos, Jscan, Flat tow harness install etc.)
I am now turning to the members here to see if anybody has a work around for this because the dealer doesn't have a clue and Jeep/Mopar Care can't help anybody past "talk to your dealer"

Factory Tow package installed.
Towed Vehicle Harness 82215382AB installed
I use a cargo tray with a large diamond plate toolbox to haul firewood and propane tanks (that blocks the JL tail lights)
I tow this behind my Motorhome.
The towing package works the lights perfectly on it's own
The 82215382AB harness works the tail lights on the JL perfectly
While hooked up to the motorhome, I have NO tail lights, stop or turn through the receiver hitch towing plug to my toolbox (equipped with LED markers, tail lights and an LED truck tail gate strip)

I know the harness uses relays to drop off any "feedback" that could harm the JL electronics and I'm sure the power to the tow package module has the power cut via those relays.

Anybody experience this?
Anybody have schematics of both harnesses to determine if I can supply power to the tow package module using the 12v from the motor home via the 82215382AB harness?
Will this cause any electronics issues?

Thank You for any help I can get, I would hate to burn down my JLU with 98 miles on it.
Sponsored

IdahoSting

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
I've learned a lot on this forum and have used a lot of that knowledge to get mine the way I want it (LED upgrade, Halos, Jscan, Flat tow harness install etc.)
I am now turning to the members here to see if anybody has a work around for this because the dealer doesn't have a clue and Jeep/Mopar Care can't help anybody past "talk to your dealer"

Factory Tow package installed.
Towed Vehicle Harness 82215382AB installed
I use a cargo tray with a large diamond plate toolbox to haul firewood and propane tanks (that blocks the JL tail lights)
I tow this behind my Motorhome.
The towing package works the lights perfectly on it's own
The 82215382AB harness works the tail lights on the JL perfectly
While hooked up to the motorhome, I have NO tail lights, stop or turn through the receiver hitch towing plug to my toolbox (equipped with LED markers, tail lights and an LED truck tail gate strip)

I know the harness uses relays to drop off any "feedback" that could harm the JL electronics and I'm sure the power to the tow package module has the power cut via those relays.

Anybody experience this?
Anybody have schematics of both harnesses to determine if I can supply power to the tow package module using the 12v from the motor home via the 82215382AB harness?
Will this cause any electronics issues?

Thank You for any help I can get, I would hate to burn down my JLU with 98 miles on it.

IdahoSting

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
MaxD, I can tell you this. I just purchased the mopar harness and had my dealer install it last Tuesday. I have been back to the dealer four times as it won't light up when plugged into my brand new Winnebago. For that matter it won't light up when plugged into my truck or another motorhome at the dealership. The problem though, is it did light up on my neighbors motorhome and I saw it work plugged into another vehicle at the dealership. I have spent hours trying to figure it out myself and just dropped the Wrangler off yesterday and talked to the tech today. I told them I want a new harness and I don't want the vehicle back until they have fully tested it. My suspect is a broken wire in the harness as it worked part of the time and not others. The ground is good and we have power to the fuses, but nothing to the tail lights. We have factor LED taillights. I am pretty pissed off about the whole deal as I have lost time from work as well as paid a premium price for something that has not worked up to this point. It is suppose to be done again tomorrow, so I can update you.

IdahoSting

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
I should add, as it sounds like the same issue you are having that we have power back to the tail lights when on power from the Jeep, but as soon as we plug into the motorhome, the pin on the tail light connector has nothing!

Sponsored

OP
OP
MaxD

MaxD

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
@dcrna1
Thank you for your response. The Mopar 82215382AB harness does the same thing as the Cooltech but in a different manner.
Mopar uses power from the coach to activate relays that disconnect the tail lights from the Jeep electrical system without having to use a toggle switch that I'm sure I would forget to set correctly.

@IdahoSting
I installed my harness and everything worked as it was supposed to BUT, From my motorhome, I used a 7 pin to a 6 pin connector coiled tether (heavy duty receptacle bolted to the JL baseplate) I quickly found that the Mopar 7 pin cable to the Motorhome DOES NOT follow any standard color codes.
It was easy to figure out the 12v+ and 12v - (larger gauge) the rest was all done by trial and error.

I would insist that the dealer looks VERY carefully at the connector at the front bumper to the tether for the coach. These pins are installed by the techs and if not snapped in perfectly, it could be the root cause!

NOW, for anybody else looking for answers to the issue I am experiencing is this...
I purchased a CURT 56407 aftermarket trailer wiring harness and
a CURT 56229 connector wiring harness for the Mopar 7 pin receptacle
I installed the 56407 with ONE BIG exception. I pinned out the Mopar wiring harness 82215382AB to locate the 12v+ and 12v- from the motorhome to power the module for the 56407.
I then wired the (trailer lighting) 4 wires into the 56229 (tested continuity on Mopar 7 pin to the 4 pin receptacle)

When I tow a trailer behind the JL, I will hook up the factory 7 pin connector
When towing the JL behind my motorhome, I hook up MY (4 pin) 7 pin connector and all is well.

When hooked up to the Motor Home, I now have Jeep tail lights working 100%
And ALL of the lights/markers I have on my Cargo tray toolbox!!!!!

I CANNOT believe in this day and age that my dealer has NO clue (nor did they even try), was trying to send me to an RV dealer and have them figure it out?? these are JEEP/MOPAR systems not playing well together.
I couldn't even convince them to send me schematics for both systems - Nothing
Mopar and Jeep care can't help anybody past registering your trial Sirius XM

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I can confirm that the Mopar harness does not conform to standard trailer wiring. You have to figure out which wire from the motorhome does which light and then wire the female plug on the jeep to match. I went with a coiled cord and cut the Mopar supplied connector off at the jeep bumper and added a standard six pin connector. Mopar harness is probably Chinese Standard Trailer Wiring.
Sponsored