Flat Tow Advice Needed

jperkins66

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So my wife and I are ready to setup for flat-tow. Previously had an F250 w/ 5th wheel and we “upgraded” both the truck and the camper to a 2019 class A gas Winnebago. I also now have a 2019 JLUR spec’d out and I have a Smittybilt XRX Gen 2 front bumper with the Smitty H2O 10k winch.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have already driven the RV from Iowa to Tennessee to Arkansas and to Disney. I’m comfortable enough tin my driving skills but these connections are a lot different than what I’m accustomed to.

Hopefully looking for a recommendation of a couple high quality options. Safety is important and if extra dollars can protect me and mine, let me know. Thanks guys!
Sponsored

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Can't help with the SmittyBilt bumper - I use Blue Ox tow bars for anything I flat tow, and am going to have the Maximus brackets and Blue Ox adapters they make, installed when my JL Rubi is delivered. But from years of towing various vehicles behind Class A diesels, a couple points...
BE SURE to follow closely the mfr procedure for flat towing (including not shifting back into Park when Xfer case is in Neutral, with engine running, as is the case in most FCA products), and get a supplemental braking device as many states require (even if your state doesn't require one) - I have had to make a panic stop or two and that braking device saved my toad from jack knifing or simply running into the back of the coach. Sure, the braking capability in many DPs is enough to stop the toad in a normal stop, but it's those panic stops due to some idiot in front of you stopping for no apparent reason where you'll want those extra tires on the ground braking too.