Sponsored

Flat Front Bumper for NYC Parking

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I’m about to order a 2 door Rubicon, but I have one issue. The front bumper is so deep. It adds to the length of the Jeep unnecessary. I live in Manhattan where a matter of a few inches can mean all the difference when street parking.

Any ideas for a flat/shallow bumper (ideally one that will preserve the fog lights)?

Jeep Wrangler JL Flat Front Bumper for NYC Parking 1640059508613
Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

The frame rails actually extend past the grille and that’s why the bumper comes out so far. There’s really not much you can shave off unless you chop the frame.

Although, any aftermarket bumper that doesn’t have built in shackle mounts might save you about 1-2 inches if you don’t mount bolt on shackle mounts either. It will essentially be a piece of sheet metal bolted to the end of the frame. I wouldn’t be surprised if the difference is less than an inch, though.

If every inch is really that important, I recommend a spare tire delete and throwing it in the back when you need it.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
See where those red tow hooks are? They are bolted to the frame. That's how far out it extends. However most aftermarket steel bumpers bolt flat to the frame. So if you find one without much protrusions, you may be able to gain an extra inch or so. But that's all without major frame work.

OP
OP

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The frame rails actually extend past the grille and that’s why the bumper comes out so far. There’s really not much you can shave off unless you chop the frame.

Although, any aftermarket bumper that doesn’t have built in shackle mounts might save you about 1-2 inches if you don’t mount bolt on shackle mounts either. It will essentially be a piece of sheet metal bolted to the end of the frame. I wouldn’t be surprised if the difference is less than an inch, though.

If every inch is really that important, I recommend a spare tire delete and throwing it in the back when you need it.
Thanks. Good information. I may think about taking off the spare tire like you said. Could be a good option.

OP
OP

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
See where those red tow hooks are? They are bolted to the frame. That's how far out it extends. However most aftermarket steel bumpers bolt flat to the frame. So if you find one without much protrusions, you may be able to gain an extra inch or so. But that's all without major frame work.
Thanks. Ha, I guess the bumper idea isn’t as good as I thought. Appreciate the info.

Sponsored

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
If you get the OEM steel bumper group option, you can remove the end caps. So, your bumper will end right where your fog lights are. That's what I have and it definitely makes parking in tight NYC spots a breeze.

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
You’re getting a 2 door, it’s already shorter than most vehicles on the road. My bumper and winch one got me 1” at most.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Removing the end caps would be a huge help when parallel parking.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
If you lift it enough, the bumper will just fit over the trunk of the car in front of you :)

You'll want to look for a bumper with the frame mount right at the face, you'll see four holes at the frame on those. Most winch bumpers will be deeper than that unless it's a top mount and the winch sticks off the front.

Not a recommendation, but something like the Evo Quarter Pounder is probably the best you can get without cutting the frame horns off.

OP
OP

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If you get the OEM steel bumper group option, you can remove the end caps. So, your bumper will end right where your fog lights are. That's what I have and it definitely makes parking in tight NYC spots a breeze.
Thanks. Hadn’t thought of that.

Sponsored

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Thanks. Hadn’t thought of that.
NP. Honestly, removing the end caps or having an aftermarket stubby bumper is more important than having a flatter bumper cause it means you can get closer to the car in front of you when cutting the wheel to park. You don't have the end caps catching the other car's bumper.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
+1 for the spare delete and moving the spare to the interior. I'd be worried somebody would steal it.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
4wd is useful for adding a few inches to the parking space.

OP
OP

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
+1 for the spare delete and moving the spare to the interior. I'd be worried somebody would steal it.
I have the same concern. I had been thinking of an aftermarket solution where you have some sort of alternative bolts that were locked or harder to remove. But removing the tire definitely solves the problem.
Sponsored