Sponsored

Flashing rear locker light... bad hall effect sensor? Jeep won't warranty, part not available for puchase!

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I'm surprised that the sensor internals aren't fully potted.
Sponsored

OP
OP
fixbroke

fixbroke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Did you happen to notice a part number on the hall effect IC?
There's a number printed on the side that says "FCA 10031393" but apparently that doesn't resolve in the FCA part numbering system.

The IC itself has a number on it (I can't recall exactly what it is and it's currently with my EE friend), but it has no hits on a Google search.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Me too! I'm debating whether or not I should fill the housing with silicone when I get it back.
Definitely not silicone, since it doesn't stand up to gear oil very well, but something along those lines. Epoxy?
Sorry, I can't remember if it was in this thread, but Z Automotive (Tazer), has a work-around for the faulty sensors. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was something they recently launched. You might want to contact them, if that's something you want to pursue.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
There's a number printed on the side that says "FCA 10031393" but apparently that doesn't resolve in the FCA part numbering system.

The IC itself has a number on it (I can't recall exactly what it is and it's currently with my EE friend), but it has no hits on a Google search.
Here's a site which might help with the search
https://www.findchips.com/

Sponsored

OP
OP
fixbroke

fixbroke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Is this what the new Z-Locker OEM addresses?

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z-locker-oem/
The locker sensor in Wrangler JL and Gladiator Rubicons have started to become problematic. When they fail, it usually starts out as a blinking locker lamp on the dash, which then ends up in a “service axle locker” message. Once the locker system is in this fault state, the lockers will no longer engage.

The repair would normally be to replace the sensor, but the part is not available separately. The next best thing would be to replace the locker assembly, but that’s not available either. The current solution is to replace the entire axle assembly, but due to the commonality of this problem they are on national back-order.
Interesting! It sounds like this problem is more widespread than I thought, if Z Automotive has engineered a "fix". Hopefully that means Jeep will be forced into providing a better solution than their current whole-axle replacement fix. Even better, I hope that by packing the connector full of dielectric grease we can avoid having the sensor fail at all.

Aside: I've gotten some information from TE Connectivity (the manufacturer of the sensor) that each sensor is specifically factory-calibrated to each individual axle, which may be why they're not available for purchase outside of an axle assembly. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but that info comes from TE so there must be some truth in it. If that's the case, then the prospect of Jeep eventually releasing a replacement part aren't very good since they wouldn't be able to calibrate it to the actual axles under our vehicles.

I'm guessing the Z Automotive part works by using the locker activation signal to generate a corresponding "locked" or "unlocked" signal to send back to the Jeep, so you would be losing the actual feedback about whether or not your lockers are in fact locked. Regardless, $180 per axle is waaaaay too much for something like that, but if it gets the lockers back in service without bypassing the Jeep computer entirely then it might be worth it for some people.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Didn't @wibornz go thru this too?

Is this what the new Z-Locker OEM addresses?

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z-locker-oem/
I bought a whole new rear Dana 44 axle to get the senor. I pulled the sensor from the new axle and put it into my current axle. It solved the problem.

BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE!!!

After switching the sensor, I left on a 5734 mile Jeep wheeling trip. On my way from Moab to the Rubicon trail, my locker like started flashing again. This new sensor last about 2,000 miles and now has diff fluid inside of it and is junk.
On my way home I ordered the Zautomotive OEM locker fix and it should be here any day. I will report back how well it works. I am still going round and round with Jeep. Jeep will address this issue with me as I will not quit bothering them over it. I had Jeep/Chrysler an elevated customer rep call me while I was driving in Wyoming on my way home I have not heard back from them. It has been a couple days, So on Monday, I start calling them again. They will get tired of me. Dana Aftermarket has pleaded with me to stop calling. Lol the life of a retired guy that has time to bother them.

OP
OP
fixbroke

fixbroke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I bought a whole new rear Dana 44 axle to get the senor. I pulled the sensor from the new axle and put it into my current axle. It solved the problem.

BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE!!!

After switching the sensor, I left on a 5734 mile Jeep wheeling trip. On my way from Moab to the Rubicon trail, my locker like started flashing again. This new sensor last about 2,000 miles and now has diff fluid inside of it and is junk.
On my way home I ordered the Zautomotive OEM locker fix and it should be here any day. I will report back how well it works. I am still going round and round with Jeep. Jeep will address this issue with me as I will not quit bothering them over it. I had Jeep/Chrysler an elevated customer rep call me while I was driving in Wyoming on my way home I have not heard back from them. It has been a couple days, So on Monday, I start calling them again. They will get tired of me. Dana Aftermarket has pleaded with me to stop calling. Lol the life of a retired guy that has time to bother them.
Damn. There's a lot to unpack there. Sorry you have had to go through it!

It's good to hear the sensor is swappable, so that leaves hope for a future fix from Jeep. The info from TE led me to believe that wasn't going to be possible due to each sensor being calibrated to an individual axle.

Did you do an autopsy on both failed sensors? Was it gear oil intrusion that killed them? Was the connector full of oil also? I'm trying to confirm that it's actually the connectors on these that are allowing gear oil into the sensor, so that oil-proofing the connector might be the preventative fix.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

It's good to hear the sensor is swappable, so that leaves hope for a future fix from Jeep. The info from TE led me to believe that wasn't going to be possible due to each sensor being calibrated to an individual axle.

Did you do an autopsy on both failed sensors? Was it gear oil intrusion that killed them? Was the connector full of oil also? I'm trying to confirm that it's actually the connectors on these that are allowing gear oil into the sensor, so that oil-proofing the connector might be the preventative fix.
The diff fluid gets inside of the component. Yes it is oil intrusion that killed them. The connector is clean. I tried to prevent oil intrusion on the 2nd one and it did not work.

Jeep Wrangler JL Flashing rear locker light... bad hall effect sensor? Jeep won't warranty, part not available for puchase! 1596304077024

Jeep Wrangler JL Flashing rear locker light... bad hall effect sensor? Jeep won't warranty, part not available for puchase! 1596304090528

OP
OP
fixbroke

fixbroke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
If sealing the housing "lid" with silicone doesn't prevent oil intrusion, then I'm not sure how it could be getting inside other than through the connector (or possibly the threaded boss for the mounting screw?). My connector was drenched in oil (I could actually tip the sensor housing over and dump oil from the pins) so I'm reasonably confident that's where it's getting in, at least in my case.

If I can get a functional sensor again I'm going to try potting it by drilling a hole in both sides of the housing and filling with RTV or something else. I'll probably pull my front sensor and do the same, to keep it from suffering the same fate.

For anyone else with this problem, here is the main thread on this issue (that I didn't see until following wibornz's posts):

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/“service-axle-locker-system”-light-on.13241

Lots of others with the same or similar problems have posted in there.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara

That's why I was hoping to get the part number or a closeup pic of the sensor part number so I could research it more. Calibrating each sensor to each axle seems like a line of BS from TE. The sensor's job is pretty simple "1" Yes. locker is on, "0" No. locker is not on. Even Eli Whitney figured out mass production back in the 1800's. The sensor has no decision to make... is there something detected in the sensor window or not.

OP
OP
fixbroke

fixbroke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
That's why I was hoping to get the part number or a closeup pic of the sensor part number so I could research it more. Calibrating each sensor to each axle seems like a line of BS from TE. The sensor's job is pretty simple "1" Yes. locker is on, "0" No. locker is not on. Even Eli Whitney figured out mass production back in the 1800's. The sensor has no decision to make... is there something detected in the sensor window or not.
Agreed. The only reason it would need specific calibration is if the magnetic flux threshold between an on condition and an off condition fell into the flux range exhibited between different axles. I'm no hall effect expert, but it seems like that should be easily avoidable if designed properly.

Perhaps the calibration that TE was referring to was a generic Advantek 44 one, rather than a calibration for each individual axle.
Sponsored