Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.superchips.com
Vehicle(s)
16 JK, 18 JL 2.0T, 22 Wagoneer 3.0TT
Occupation
Senior Category Manager – Domestic Tuning at Holley
Heres a walkthrough of how the tire size wizard does its magic!

Sponsored

JNewton918

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Ecodiesel, 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo
will this work on any model Jeep JLs? Will we need a SGW?

OP
OP

Mike@Powerteq

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.superchips.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
will this work on any model Jeep JLs? Will we need a SGW?
No 4Xe or 392 support currently, but the rest are good through 2022. 2023 soon.
The -JL and -JT skus include the required bypass module :)

OP
OP

Mike@Powerteq

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.superchips.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We're seeking an FCW/ACC equipped JL at our Ogden, UT facility to sort this out. If anyone is local and interested in letting us use their Jeep for a couple days, please email [email protected]

Thanks

Sponsored

Stanley_ii

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-Door
Last year I purchased the bluetooth Flashcal+ 3581-JL. Lots of problems with the app that were never resolved with tech support. Basically, it does not work with my samsung tablet and limited function with my Motorola phone (and yesterday not even that worked!). Could not use the GPS auto tire size function. It crashed the app everytime. Now the motorola won't even connect to the dongle!

One year later....I now have a Lenovo Tablet and the app seems to work with that. I was able to use the auto tire size to calculate the new tires.

Problem: The stock tires are 31". The new 32.5" (physically measured). The bigger tires made the jeep sluggish. Manually setting the tire size to 32.5 made the Jeep drive and shift like stock did. Felt that way anyway. BUT, the speedo is reading 2-3mph faster than phone gps shows I am actually going (range depends on city or highway driving).

I ran the auto detect hoping the speedo would be more accurate, but the 3581-JL calculated I had 31" tires?!?!!?!?!?! The Jeep went back to sluggish, but the speedo was spot on with the phone GPS.

Throughout the tech support mess, they did send me a wired programmer which works fine, but again, correct tire size helps the tranny, but not the speedo. (2-3mph off).

Apparently superchips programmers only change the Transmission shifting points, but not the speedo. Shouldn't it fix both?

I know, 3mph isn't a big deal and after a year of it being wrong I seem to have overcome my OCD for this one issue...but still, I spent the money to get the tire size correct for the whole Jeep, not part of it. And what if I change gears or something more advanced than tires? I have doubts this programmer will fix what I might need done in the future.

Is this normal for the speedo, anyone else have this issue with the JL and superchips, thoughts, comments.....is this a problem with other programmers?

2020 JL 2-door, 2.0 Turbo, 1.5" coil spacer lift, 32.5" tires.

OP
OP

Mike@Powerteq

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.superchips.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nothing about this is specific to our devices, its not uncommon for a tire size value to not match exactly what you measured for the speedo to be correct. The shift points are not changed, the vehicle sorts that out based on the speedo being corrected.
It is odd that you describe sluggishness with one setting vs the other, really not sure what you think about that.

Stanley_ii

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-Door
I am not sure I understand your explanation...or the problem now.

Stock 31 to plus size 32.5 should make the Jeep a little sluggish as it is trying to push bigger tires around.

Correcting the tire size to 32.5 in the computer manually should adjust speedo to be going the correct speed for the bigger tire, which should (as you say) tell the computer to adjust the accelleration and tranny stuff (which it does do that).

So apparently, when manually changing the tire size, the computer recognises the larger tire, but is Not adjusting the speedo (Needle or digital display)

Shouldn't the device tell the computer to adjust the speedo displays on the Jeep, not just in the background as it appears to be doing?

And that also means the auto adjust in the app doesn't work right since it is registering the size as 31 and not the actual 32.5.

So it seems:

1. The device adjustment is not affecting the actual speedo display, just background programming.
2. The auto adjust tire size doesn't seem to work.

I am further puzzled.

OP
OP

Mike@Powerteq

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.superchips.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
1. It does both, the speedo should absolutely be changing if you are making a meaningful change to the overall height setting.
2. You can use the manual entry, but the GPS based solution comes up with a real world average without having to fine tune on your own.

Thanks
Sponsored