Fixed!- Pulley Whine at 1300

MSchir1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport
After some trail riding and splashing through a couple of shallow puddles (honestly nothing more than 6-8 inches) my JLUSportS is experiencing pulley whine. Noticable once over 2,000rpm. Very annoying with the windows open or when accelerating but not to bad at speed. Took a mechanics stethiscope to it and it is the lower left pulley (not sure what it does). Taking it in on Thursday to get checked out along with getting the uConnect update for the phone echo and cruise control fix. I would fix it myself but am unable to find the part number for that specific grooved pulley. Also it has 1,200 miles so I should have never had this issue. I’ll post a video at somepoint.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Take it in for warranty work, just make sure it's cleaned up and don't mention the off-roading.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MSchir1

MSchir1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport
Take it I need for warranty work, just make sure it's cleaned up and don't mention the off-roading.
Thanks for the advice. Gave the underside a good rinse and the engine bay is clean.

OP
OP
MSchir1

MSchir1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport
Update: Dropped it off this morning. Dealer told me that the engine whine is a know issue with the new serpentine belt setup in the JL. I was told either they or Chrysler will be getting back to me when there is a resolution. Also, the uConnect update apparently isn’t available even though I was told this morning that this and the cruise control update were to be completed......I guess we’ll see.

OP
OP
MSchir1

MSchir1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport
Didn’t feel like waiting for Jeep so went ahead a purchased a pulley from RockAuto for $30 shipped. Official Mopar part, super easy fix. I’m fairly competent with a wrench but have never changed a pulley and this was cake! Taking my time it took about 45min. All you do is move the intake tubing to the side, remover the entire airbox assembly, compress the belt tensioner to remove the belt then unscrew the pulley bolt. Hardest part was figuring out how to route the serpentine belt extension tool (free rental from PepBoys btw). If you want more detailed instructions I’m happy to help. Sooooo quite!

Sponsored

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
did that fix the whine though? I had the same thing and had the idler pulley and alternator replaced under warranty. Cured the whine but its coming back.

OP
OP
MSchir1

MSchir1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport
This was the culprit!

F4BA6472-BF99-404E-BBE8-0481A911EB1E.jpeg