Sponsored

[FIXED] Annoying vibration/rattle from driver dash area

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I wouldn't be surprised if it's among the a-pillar plastic. Not only does the trim that goes across the top of the windshield not attach as snug and flush as it did on the JK, but the plastic is a different material and thinner as well. I had to get creative when installing my dashcam as areas of the trim would actually sag at higher temperatures. My dashcam is a Blackvue and those things are NOT heavy by any means. I'm thinking about remounting it in a different way since the center trim piece that's directly above the rear view mirror literally just hangs off the inside of the surrounding ends. It really is poorly design.
Sponsored

scishfottman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.30MinuteSalesCoach.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I hope this will fix the noise I've been trying to track down, only hear it on certain music notes.
I had the ā€œonly on certain notes/frequenciesā€ vibration. Dealer was aware of it and had the fix in their bag of tricks.

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Final update: It was the damn part number label/sticker on my driverā€™s quarter panel. It was peeling and flapping in the wind. Stopped when wet, because paper.

Update: I took it to the dealer and they agreed that there is a noise. They kept it all day trying to diagnose (I believe they tried, as they burned through 1/8 a tank of gas test driving after attempting various fixes). In the end, they apologized and said Iā€™d have to bring it back and possibly leave it for a couple of days. Nope! Iā€™m not going Jeepless for days over a noise.

Well, it turns out that a CAR WASH may have fixed it!

This is weird and random, but a bird crapped all over my twill soft top. Given itā€™s 25 degrees this week, I wasnā€™t up to washing it off myself. I went to a hand car wash place, instead. At the end of the wash ā€œtunnelā€ where the guys finish their hand wash thereā€™s what amounts to an industrial sized leaf blower to help remove excess water before they towel dry. I *think* this is what fixed my rattle. The thing made serious wind, and I was afraid my windows were going to blow off.

Anyway, I noticed right away on my way home that the noise was gone. Four days later, and now slightly warmer, itā€™s still gone.

Either the blower dislodged some debris that had been making noise when wind hit it, or the noise is temperature sensitive and will return when it gets back into the 40s.

If you read all of that, you must be really bored or are pooping (or both). :like:

Last edited:

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Another dash noise issue. Not my first rodeo and the most expensive Jeep iā€™ve owned. Shouldnā€™t have a squeaky noise coming out of the dash area going around 40-50 hitting normal bumps in the road. I can hear it over the radio. Iā€™m probably going to give the dealership first dibs on figuring it out. Sounds like maybe coming from behind center area. Annoying for sure. Other ā€˜itā€™s a Jeep thingā€™ things I expect but not this dash one.

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Yeah, I got a bad rattle from the center dash area. Driving me loco.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Not much to the dash. I'd first get a flashlight and look up behind for anything loose.

If not that, then pulling the pieces isn't too bad though the top is a pita to start the whole process.

docjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, Firecracker Red
Another dash noise issue. Not my first rodeo and the most expensive Jeep iā€™ve owned. Shouldnā€™t have a squeaky noise coming out of the dash area going around 40-50 hitting normal bumps in the road. I can hear it over the radio. Iā€™m probably going to give the dealership first dibs on figuring it out. Sounds like maybe coming from behind center area. Annoying for sure. Other ā€˜itā€™s a Jeep thingā€™ things I expect but not this dash one.

same exact squeaky noise issue here!
i had an appt on Dec 17th but two days before the noise disappeared! So they told me to come back if it returns.
Well, guess what! It's back and louder than ever. going in tomorrow.

let me know what your dealer says and i'll do the same.

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
<snip>

Well, it turns out that a CAR WASH may have fixed it!

<snip>

Either the blower dislodged some debris that had been making noise when wind hit it, or the noise is temperature sensitive and will return when it gets back into the 40s.
In the 50s, today, and still no noise. That said, itā€™s also pouring rain and in the past Iā€™d noticed my noise would go away when it rained.

Iā€™ve really been enjoying my commute without that frigginā€™ rattle! Fingers crossed. Itā€™ll be the damnedest thing ever if a simple car wash really fixed it.

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the 50s, today, and still no noise. That said, itā€™s also pouring rain and in the past Iā€™d noticed my noise would go away when it rained.

Iā€™ve really been enjoying my commute without that frigginā€™ rattle! Fingers crossed. Itā€™ll be the damnedest thing ever if a simple car wash really fixed it.
10 degrees and dry and VERY windy. Itā€™s baaaaack. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s air coming in under the windshield. Gonna test taping the gap and will report back. Rats!

Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I had a similar situation, turned out the screws that holds the windshield in place started to come loose even though Iā€™ve never lowered the windshield. The driver side was extremely loose. After tightening everything back up, noise free again

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a similar situation, turned out the screws that holds the windshield in place started to come loose even though Iā€™ve never lowered the windshield. The driver side was extremely loose. After tightening everything back up, noise free again
Iā€™ll be checking this ASAP. Thanks!

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FIXED

Effing thing! I knew the source was air because itā€™d go away in the rain; the water was sealing the ingress.

I finally dropped the windshield and here is what I found:

8150C8AE-48A9-4AA8-AE8B-22508E7BB97B.jpeg

See that wire bundle poking out? Bingo!

Of course, the damn weather stripping was not about to sit flush after being bent for nearly a year. I squirted a bit of silicone in the gap and then put a fat piece of flex tape over it. Quick test drive confirmed that things are now quiet.

If my tape comes loose (itā€™s sticky as hell, but wouldnā€™t adhere to the weather strip - just the plastic trim), Iā€™ll make the dealer replace the whole seal. I think itā€™s gonna be fine, though, because the windshield keeps pressure there.

What a relief!!

Last edited:

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I also had this same issue.

gschones

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
I have a rattle coming from the driver side door and the dash. I have 13000 miles on my 2018 JL and it seems to be getting worse. I am not sure how much longer I will put up with it. Thanks for all the tips on this thread.
Sponsored