Sponsored

FIX: front seat stuck forward or seatback won't return to upright position

Kryten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
This has been an issue since 2018. There is a massive post on this forum about it. It is perplexing to me that this is still a thing on 2022 and Jeep didn't re-design the mechanism.

You can buy the little plastic part that breaks and keep 2 as spare on the Jeep, that's the easiest way to fix it.

My Jeep took about 4~5 different dealers to get it fixed....
The dealer replaced that part and it's still not fixed. I think something else may have been wrong with mine. It was giving me trouble from day one.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The dealer replaced that part and it's still not fixed. I think something else may have been wrong with mine. It was giving me trouble from day one.
Yeah mine had bigger issues too. Because the first dealer I took it didn't know back then about the part (2019) and they took the seats apart and literally broke them. They were severely manhandled, the release handles were cracked and there were pieces of plastic and metal on the floor. It is as if the HULK tried to fix my Jeep. I ended up needing new seats and frames and took several tries to get it fixed right.... very frustrating.... this was back in 2019, since then, my Jeep has been fine since and I use the release mechanism almost daily. I don't know if it is luck or what.

Kryten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah mine had bigger issues too. Because the first dealer I took it didn't know back then about the part (2019) and they took the seats apart and literally broke them. I ended up needing new seats and frames and took several tries to get it fixed right.... very frustrating.... this was back in 2019, since then, my Jeep has been fine. I don't know if it is luck or what.
I think the same thing may be happening with mine. I stopped by last week to check on it and the service manager took me in back to talk to the technician. He had the seat in pieces and said he was talking to an engineer at Jeep to try to figure it out. They were confident they would have it fixed by Monday or Tuesday but now they won't return my calls and it looks like I'll have to sneak up on them again just to get more non-answers. The really sucky part is they refuse to give me a loaner or reimburse for a rental. One of the guys there knows I have a motorcycle and suggested that I just ride my motorcycle which isn't an option in 95 degree weather in the deep south. Especially when I have to be somewhat presentable for work and often have to transport packages.

bonniejf

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
I keep a spare seat return plastic piece with me in the Jeep. I have replaced that already. The seat will now go back but will not lock into place with the back upright…help?? I’m still 500 miles from home.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

BTeffenhart

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Maybe this has been posted before, I don't know. But today I loaded the kids for some outdoor fun only to find that my seat was tight up against the steering wheel and wouldn't budge. We had to cancel the fun, and instead, I spent an hour figuring this stupid thing out. Hope to spare someone else the trouble.

The problem is a small plastic piece that's about an inch long, that has a spring loaded lever inside. It's called the "seat position return".

Here's a link to the TBS report that some other guy posted. It's a known issue. There is one for each seat and it moves along the door-side track. The left and right sides specific and not switchable.

What this thing does is to return the seat to normal functioning after you use the shoulder lever to slide the seat forward for getting in and out of the back seat. Without it, the seat will be stuck in that egress mode and slide back and forth without locking in place, and the pull strap will not work to move the seat back to upright position.

(If the plastic piece breaks with the seat fully forward, it may jam in the tracks and prevent the seat from sliding back at all. Several people have had to get their jeep towed.)

This piece breaks when the seat is slid back and forth roughly, because the plastic housing can't withstand the abrupt action on the metal lever inside it.

The reason it's plastic is because the piece was designed to be installed by snapping into place on a small tang it runs on.

In the picture below you can see the bottom half of the lever that the plastic piece holds. If you push up on it, you can work it backwards along the track and out from under the seat. This is for curiosity's sake only, because it would only slide out when the unit isn't broken.

20220108_113913~2.jpg

Below is the unit working correctly on the passenger side. Note how it slides freely on the track.

20220108_114009~2.jpg

Here is my driver's side unit that is sitting on the track broken.

20220108_113850.jpg

These units can be ordered, and others have posted the links to them. Also, if your jeep is under warranty, you can try that route.

But, here's an easy, temporary (or permanent) fix. I used a 14mm long sock I got from harbor freight. No other size would work for me. And it had to be red ;)

--- in my case, the plastic unit broke when the seat was all the way forward up against the steering wheel. It wouldn't slide back at all, and I couldn't drive. I took a long 3/8 extension and inserted it between the door-side seat tracks, from the back. In the picture below, you can see the opening where the cap is. I pushed with the extension through that opening until the plastic unit broke free of being jammed in the tracks.

For the temporary fix, you must remove the plastic cap from the end of the top part of the track that slides with the seat. In the picture below I've laid the cap back up against where it would go. These have have several tangs, so be careful not to break. You need to remove this cap, otherwise the 14mm socket won't fit in there, and you need that large of socket to trip the lever.

20220108_114131_2.jpg

Ok, once that cap is removed you can slide the socket between the top and bottom tracks. The reason you can't just set the socket anywhere in the lower track is that it will likely end up jamming.

20220108_114152_001.jpg

Now, when you slide the seat back, it will trip whatever the heck is up in there that the plastic unit was tripping. Note, you must slide the seat as far back as it will go, and push the seatback to upright position. Now the seat will function like normal.

HOWEVER, the socked will not allow the seat to slide back fully. Use the bar under the seat (NOT THE SHOULDER LEVER) to slide the seat forward and then you can remove the socket. Now the seat will adjust like normal.

NOTE: Whenever you use the shoulder lever on the seatback to scoot the seat forward (to let someone get into or out of the back seat) you will need to use the socket again to release that mechanism, so that the seat will return to adjusting like normal.

It sounds a little complicated but here's the steps...

1. Use lever on seatback shoulder to scoot seat forward to let kids in back.
2. Insert socket into gap between upper and lower tracks, on door side track.
3. Slide seat all the way back until seatback releases
4. Use the bar under the front of the seat to slide seat forward.
5. Remove socket.
6. Use the bar again to slide seat back.

After all this, I'm debating whether I even want to bother replacing that plastic unit. I might just use the socket method. Because, if that plastic thing breaks when the seat is full forward, you literally can't drive. If you do replace the unit, be careful to slide the seat gently. The plastic unit slides independently, and it easily jams and breaks when the seat is handled roughly.

Hope that helps someone!

This definitely helped us today! Does anyone know the part number needed? It sounds like having spares is a good idea. We've had our 2020 less than 2 weeks...ugh. Off to the dealer on Monday. Hopefully still under warranty.

bonniejf

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL

BTeffenhart

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ld-and-lock-into-position-june-20-2019.34614/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/drivers-side-seat-won’t-fold-back.27061/

the part costs about $4 and my dealer had one in stock and the other side the next day. I wouldn’t leave my Jeep at the dealership for a simple and cheap fix like this.

Thank you for the information. My passenger seat is stuck at the dash and will not move backward. I'm not sure it's the same issue as others are discussing. On inspection, there appears to be a broken part. I appreciate everyone's comments. My Jeep is under warranty - I'd like the dealer to fix it.

Sponsored

bonniejf

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
Thank you for the information. My passenger seat is stuck at the dash and will not move backward. I'm not sure it's the same issue as others are discussing. On inspection, there appears to be a broken part. I appreciate everyone's comments. My Jeep is under warranty - I'd like the dealer to fix it.
Is it folded but sliding? Or folded and not sliding?

BTeffenhart

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Is it folded but sliding? Or folded and not sliding?
Hi. The seat back folds forward and backward - the seat itself does not slide forward or back and is locked into place close to the dash. The latch on the top of the seat, seems crooked, popped out of place. I've had the jeep less than 2 weeks. I have moved the seat base forward and backward for driving adjustment - but not tried to move it full range to get into the back seat until Thursday, when it broke.

Pipila

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
I went though that last week. Traveling cross country in a new 23 2 Dr and the passenger seat stuck in forward position with seatback stuck in forward position.

I found a galvanized release tab under the door side rail that pressing freed the forward back travel but it would not lock back and the seat back was still locked forward.

Stopped at a dealer in National City and got in without a scheduled appointment.
Fixed and out the door in less than 2 hrs.

They told me a cable connector under the seat had slipped off it's post.

I will say the back seat ride is great with the seat stuck forward. Picture window view and quite comfortable.

mardoudan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara
Has anyone had any luck getting the dealer to fix this problem? Mine has been broken for over 2 months. I've only had it for 4 months and for half that time the seat has been broken. The dealer hasn't been very helpful. I can't get anyone to call me back. I usually have to go to the dealership and sneak up on them to get them to talk to me about it. I literally came in one day and the guy that's handling my case got up and quickly ran to the back when he saw me walking to the door. This issue irritated me so much I ordered a 4 door and now I'm afraid the 4 door will be here before the 2 door is fixed to sell or trade.
I’m “negotiating” with Greenway Jeep in Orlando Fl to fix it… broke two weeks after I bought my 2023 Wrangler Sport 2D - he supposedly ordered an entire new seat - and will install next week. Fingers crossed.

Kryten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m “negotiating” with Greenway Jeep in Orlando Fl to fix it… broke two weeks after I bought my 2023 Wrangler Sport 2D - he supposedly ordered an entire new seat - and will install next week. Fingers crossed.
I couldn’t get the dealer to do that. They just kept throwing parts at it. They had it off and on for 2 months. I got tired of dealing with it and ordered a 4 door with the intent to sell the 2 door once it was fixed. It never was. The 4 door arrived before they fixed the 2 door. Luckily I got a good enough deal on the 4 door to just about break even. The dealer that had it low balled me on my practically brand new Jeep but I had limited time to get the 4 door so I just took it. If I didn’t have the 4 door waiting I would have filed a lemon lawsuit. This is a design flaw and that fact that after 6 years of production it’s still happening to brand new Jeep is pathetic. I’m the end I think I like my 4 door better so I guess all is fine in the end.

Good luck with yours. Sounds like you found a dealer that actually wants to make things right. I begged mine to just replace the whole seat. They refused. They were so shady. I would show up to talk to them and the service department manager would see me and run out the back door and stall hoping I would leave.
Sponsored