Sponsored

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
I have to make my gecko or sting gray decision today, so I appreciate as many photos as you’re willing to post :) still seems like you’re the only person out here with an actual JL in gecko!
One thing I'll say, I have a Sting Gray JLR. I really like it, it's a neat color that really takes on the character of light and surroundings it's in. My detailer loves to park it in front when it's done because it has a very glossy,, high end look. Having said that, it's gray, and likely for the reasons above, very popular. Yesterday I parked in a lot, a small lot, and was the third Sting Gray JL Rubicon, rounded out by a Sting Gray SUV of some sort, might have been a Trailhawk. The only solace I could take was at least mine was the only FCA product in the lot with only 2 doors.

Anyway, the gray looks great with red accents, pops in the sun and goes stealth at night like an expensive European import. It likely will hold resale value a bit better too I imagine. It just doesn't inspire me to go have fun, its gray after all....Gecko is fun, likely a lot less common at the end of it's run, easier to see from the air if you get lost,, and looks really cool.

Bonus, my fiance HATES it. 😉
Sponsored

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I think the lively colors really embody the soul of the Wrangler. Fun, impractical vehicle made to go just about anywhere. But I'm not the sort of person that would ever buy a gray, white, black or silver car either.

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another bonus for Gecko, throw a safety vest in and order a yellow strobe from Galls and youll sail through constructions zones no questions asked....lol.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I talked to my dealer this morning and he’s being told that the current Gecko build plan is showing July. So take that for what it’s worth.

*edit
I misinterpreted what my dealer said, apparently my build is showing July, I guess the gorilla glass is the hold up but they dont think removing it would change my build status much.

Last edited:

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
One thing I'll say, I have a Sting Gray JLR. I really like it, it's a neat color that really takes on the character of light and surroundings it's in. My detailer loves to park it in front when it's done because it has a very glossy,, high end look. Having said that, it's gray, and likely for the reasons above, very popular. Yesterday I parked in a lot, a small lot, and was the third Sting Gray JL Rubicon, rounded out by a Sting Gray SUV of some sort, might have been a Trailhawk. The only solace I could take was at least mine was the only FCA product in the lot with only 2 doors.

Anyway, the gray looks great with red accents, pops in the sun and goes stealth at night like an expensive European import. It likely will hold resale value a bit better too I imagine. It just doesn't inspire me to go have fun, its gray after all....Gecko is fun, likely a lot less common at the end of it's run, easier to see from the air if you get lost,, and looks really cool.

Bonus, my fiance HATES it. 😉
I’m actually not a big fan of Sting Gray, but I may end up with it anyway. I really like the chalky look under daylight, and that light flat grey is my favorite color on other cars like Porsche or Mazda. In certain lights though Sting Gray feels muddy or swampy, a green-tinged brown in color and that’s when I don’t love it. My top 3 color choices were Silver, Chief Blue and Nacho. They killed all 3! Part of me really wants a fun color after decades of grey cars but gecko is SO loud I’m having a hard time committing to it. Mine will be a 4xe so the blue accents matter, I haven’t loved the way they look on hydro, yellow or red but think they’d work well with gecko.

I actually think Gecko would have the stronger resale than gray. I read a study that showed loud colors held their value best (my dealer also suggested this which is why I searched for some data). Turns out orange is tops for resale, followed by green. Takes longer to sell them on average (days longer, not weeks) but they sell at a higher value. I found that to be totally counter-intuitive but apparently people seek out the more limited colors.

Sponsored

DVLDOG-USMC

First Name
CL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko Green JLU & 2014 Dodge Challenger
Always fun to be the first. I placed an order this week for gecko JLUR 4xe. For now I must continue to comb over your pics repeatedly.
I lucked out with this Jeep. I only knew it was out there after reading an article online about it. I'll keep taking pics of it for you! You're Jeep will be badass with the 4xe. I think that will be the way to go in the future.

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
I have to make my gecko or sting gray decision today, so I appreciate as many photos as you’re willing to post :) still seems like you’re the only person out here with an actual JL in gecko!
With Jeep's 50 shades of gray, that's a decision? Sting Gray is pretty cool as far as muted colors go. But Gecko is like "BAM! Here's a JEEP!"

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With Jeep's 50 shades of gray, that's a decision? Sting Gray is pretty cool as far as muted colors go. But Gecko is like "BAM! Here's a JEEP!"
It's true they couldn't be more opposite. The more pics DVLDOG-USMC posts the more I come around to Gecko...

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m actually not a big fan of Sting Gray, but I may end up with it anyway. I really like the chalky look under daylight, and that light flat grey is my favorite color on other cars like Porsche or Mazda. In certain lights though Sting Gray feels muddy or swampy, a green-tinged brown in color and that’s when I don’t love it. My top 3 color choices were Silver, Chief Blue and Nacho. They killed all 3! Part of me really wants a fun color after decades of grey cars but gecko is SO loud I’m having a hard time committing to it. Mine will be a 4xe so the blue accents matter, I haven’t loved the way they look on hydro, yellow or red but think they’d work well with gecko.

I actually think Gecko would have the stronger resale than gray. I read a study that showed loud colors held their value best (my dealer also suggested this which is why I searched for some data). Turns out orange is tops for resale, followed by green. Takes longer to sell them on average (days longer, not weeks) but they sell at a higher value. I found that to be totally counter-intuitive but apparently people seek out the more limited colors.
I'm having the same dilemma but with Hydro. DVLDOG-USMC is helping a lot but it's a big leap of faith, especially when I saw a Hydro all matchy matchy on the freeway and it was nice.

But I've always loved limelight/sublime and figure this is pretty close, and it really makes a statement. Hard to think of a better color for a fun 2 door rubi really.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm having the same dilemma but with Hydro. DVLDOG-USMC is helping a lot but it's a big leap of faith, especially when I saw a Hydro all matchy matchy on the freeway and it was nice.

But I've always loved limelight/sublime and figure this is pretty close, and it really makes a statement. Hard to think of a better color for a fun 2 door rubi really.
This is my level of obsession right now I photoshopped DVLDOG-USMC's Jeep into a Rubicon 4XE (poorly)

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 2.29.28 PM.png

Sponsored

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is my level of obsession right now I photoshopped DVLDOG-USMC's Jeep into a Rubicon 4XE (poorly)

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 2.29.28 PM.png

Looks awesome. I really like the blue accents on the Gecko.

DVLDOG-USMC

First Name
CL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jeep Wrangler JL Fist Look at Gecko JL Wrangler Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 2.29.28 PM
That hood looks awesome! Might be a future upgrade!

DVLDOG-USMC

First Name
CL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No need to paint. The original green grille has detachable surrounds that should mount to the new one (if it’s a Mopar grille, if not maybe they’re not detachable on the black one).
Thanks for pointing this out. I clipped on the Gecko grille surrounds and wow! Looks awesome!

EB6F04CB-7909-435F-BA6C-A4B34335ADA3.jpeg

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for pointing this out. I clipped on the Gecko grille surrounds and wow! Looks awesome!

Jeep Wrangler JL Fist Look at Gecko JL Wrangler EB6F04CB-7909-435F-BA6C-A4B34335ADA3
Looks amazing! Definitely helped me finalize my decision. Keep the pics coming of you fantastic JLU!
Sponsored