First Wrangler Wash - PITA

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon 2dr ,2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr
One thing I've found that works REALLY well for all the nooks and crannies is what is sometimes called a "Gong Brush". I can't imagine washing my Jeep without one.

I got a couple at Auto Zone that are nice. The bristles have "flagged' tips I think they call it. It's where they kind of split the ends of the bristles to make them softer. This makes it less likely to scratch the paint.

I got two of them and I scratched the word "Clean" on one and "Dirty" on the other. I use the dirty one for under the wheel wells and under the bumpers and usually the wheels and tires. The clean one is for the painted surfaces like the hinges and the afore mentioned nooks and crannies like the hinges, the Jeep emblems, grill, etc.

I use the dirty one first, hose it off, then the clean one and hose it off and then use a mitt to go over the whole thing.

I only do a good cleaning like this once in a while when it starts to look like it needs it and the drive-thru car wash isn't cuttin' it. I take it through the touchless car wash by my house that does a really good job for what it is. I wouldn't take any vehicle through one of those ones with the brushes. I really only need to do real wash about every 4-6 weeks, or after going off-roading all day.

I applied CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic to the whole Jeep when it was new and that really helps the dirt come off easy. That stuff is amazing. Seriously.

One thing I do every time I wash it, whether it's when I do a "real" wash, or the drive-thru, is I dry off the door and tailgate jambs and the rubber seals with a towel. I've always done this on every car I've ever owned. It makes such a big difference. If you don't do it, they get water spots and just look nasty in no time at all and makes the car look like an old used car. It's all in the details and this is quick and easy to do.

Also, hit the rubber seals every once in a while with 303, or some other silicone protectant. Not because it looks good, but because it lubricates the seals and allows them so slide a little and keeps all the little squeaks and things from happening and actually keeps that "new car quiet" thing going. I also keep a very light coating of silicone grease on the rear window seals on the hardtop. Theres a bunch of threads on here about strange noises back there and I think this fixes 90% of those.

Having said all that, I get my Jeep seriously dirty, but I'm not one of these people that thinks you should leave it dirty because "It's a Jeep". A nice, clean Jeep is a beautiful thing and I keep it clean as much as possible, but I love getting it dirty. That's when you're having the most fun in it. I don't get it when people have a Jeep and wouldn't dream of taking it off road and getting it dirty.

I plan on keeping this thing forever and I'd like it to develop a nice patina over time, so I'm going to use it like a Jeep and take good care of it.
I don’t have to reply, you did it for me, wow, we must have been separated at birth, right down to the 303 and the silicone grease !
Sponsored