Sponsored

First Wrangler, anything I should know or do?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I did a search, and couldn't find anything that really addresses the topic.
I just bought my first Wrangler (Sahara) yesterday. I'm not new to the car/truck world, or modding, but I've had pick ups (mostly Rams) for the last 20+ years. My wife had a Grand Cherokee, which we recently replaced with a Renegade (that she absolutely loves BTW), so I'm not really new to the Jeep brand.

The question is: Is there anything I should know about the Wrangler?

I'm talking about things like unique features, or tips/tricks that wouldn't be known from my prior Mopar or Jeep vehicles?

This whole Wrangler thing is new to me. Last night I looked up the video on removing the Freedom panels. Though to be clear, it was night when I finally got on the road and if I had messed with it I would have figured out (I'm actually pretty mechanically adept). The point is, everything needs learned and I'm not above admitting I don't know something, so any tips or recommendations are welcome.

And since the internet is a "pics or it didn't happen" kind of place, here's the only photo I've got of it so far.

18 07-06 resize.jpg
Sponsored

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
In my opinion, the best tip is know what you will be using your Wrangler to do and then do copious research to customize it exactly how you want it.

Right now, it is close to a blank canvas, and anything from overlanding to extreme rock crawling is possible. Just make it work for what you need it to do.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
So much to discover about your Jeep, this forum makes for some excellent reading and knowledge. Most probably would say "read the manual" but I like hands on. Touch every button, switch, lever, door, panels, gears like a blind person. Then you will know your Jeep.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Ah hah! Found my twin! Welcome to the Wrangler world my friend. Its a pretty straightforward vehicle if you ask me. It goes wherever you want it to go, and there will soon be plenty of aftermarket parts available if you wish to modify it. I'm keeping mine bone stock with the option of getting a soft top down the line. Your Sahara will be pretty much the best daily driver of the Wranglers but should still take you over anything but the most extreme terrain.

EJ3CTA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations on the new Jeep! I bought my first in April. You're going to love it!

I agree with what was said above. Read through the forums and you will learn pretty much everything you need to know. There is a lot of great information here.

Personally, I think it's important to come up with a means to remove and store your hard top and doors. You will want to take them off eventually and you'll want to make sure they don't get damaged. I bought Rugged Ridge storage bags for the doors and a lift from TopLiftPros.

If you plan on taking your doors off, make sure you buy mirrors. You can get a decent set for ~$40. I'm loving my Smittybilt off-road foot pegs, too. A sunshade isn't a bad idea if you get burnt like I do. lol JTopsUSA makes a sunshade that fits the JL nicely.

If you get new wheels and tires, 33's fit on the Sahara with no problems. There is no rub on the bumper when you mount the spare, either. I bought a spare tire relocation bracket, but didn't need it. Also, the tailgate is much stronger on the JL so I don't think the Mopar Reinforcement Bracket is necessary with a 33. I haven't noticed any issues.

I'd look into the TazerJL if you plan on increasing tire size, regearing, and/or want more control over some of the electronic features that become nuisances after awhile. You set it up so Auto Stop/Start and Traction Control disable as soon as you start your Jeep.

If you want decals, pixeldecals.com has a good selection and they do custom work.

Plasti-Dip is a great product and it can really change the appearance of your Jeep. I used it to black out the silver inserts on the grille, the bumper, the keyholes, and the emblems.

These are just some ideas. Figure the direction you want to go with your Jeep. The possibilities are endless and there will be many more options for aftermarket parts towards the end of the year.

Have fun!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks for the info so far. I've already spent quite a bit of time with the manual (emailed version, book version, and on dash version). It seems like a lot to take in, but also pretty straight forward as you all mention.
Mine will likely see light trails at the most. I hunt, camp and hike so some off-road use accompanies that. However, just because I can make it through a mud hole, doesn't mean I'm going to steer for it. If I can go around something, I will.

Sean, I always say the same thing about leaving my stuff stock. Somehow, I never do (I've lifted 5 of my last 7 trucks), so I doubt I'll leave the JL stock as long as I plan to.

Steven, that's for add all the extra info. I would have never thought about the mirrors being attached to the doors, until I took them off and didn't have mirrors. That's exactly the kind of inside scoop that I was hoping to find. You mentioned 33's fitting without issue. Does the spare block your 3rd brake light at all?

Jeremy, thanks for the link, I didn't see that one when I was searching. I'll give it a read.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Oh yeah. Unrelated to Jeep, it's about this site. Is there a page that shows any threads I'm watching, or subscribed to (however they word it here)? If so, how to I go to it?

EJ3CTA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info so far. I've already spent quite a bit of time with the manual (emailed version, book version, and on dash version). It seems like a lot to take in, but also pretty straight forward as you all mention.
Mine will likely see light trails at the most. I hunt, camp and hike so some off-road use accompanies that. However, just because I can make it through a mud hole, doesn't mean I'm going to steer for it. If I can go around something, I will.

Sean, I always say the same thing about leaving my stuff stock. Somehow, I never do (I've lifted 5 of my last 7 trucks), so I doubt I'll leave the JL stock as long as I plan to.

Steven, that's for add all the extra info. I would have never thought about the mirrors being attached to the doors, until I took them off and didn't have mirrors. That's exactly the kind of inside scoop that I was hoping to find. You mentioned 33's fitting without issue. Does the spare block your 3rd brake light at all?

Jeremy, thanks for the link, I didn't see that one when I was searching. I'll give it a read.
No issues with the brake light. I didn't even have to move it when I mounted the 33. If I remember correctly, the brake light adjusts enough to fit a 35" tire. I may be wrong, but I think people are purchasing the third brake light relocation bracket when they go to 37's.

That was how I found out I needed to order mirrors. I took my doors off for the first time and went to use my mirror when I was turning onto an intersection and realized it wasn't there. I'm glad I didn't get pulled over. hahaha

Also, look at your state laws. It is illegal to drive with your doors off in PA if you're vehicle is registered in that state. I've heard that you can drive through without doors if you live in a different state, but I haven't tested that theory, yet... ;)

Gilroy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Just remember to wave, have fun, add 15 minutes to any errand you run because someone will probably want to talk to you about your jeep and you don't want your wife pissed that it took THAT LONG to get milk at the corner store.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Protip: When you take the front doors off, take the limiting strap off LAST. Otherwise you'll end up with nice dents in your cowl. :) And don't forget to roll the windows down before disconnecting the harnesses.

Don't pay a shop for an alignment, because the only thing they can change is the toe, which you can do at home easily.

When you get a chance, pick up a Tazer JL device so you don't have to pay the dealership for those changes you'll enevitably want to make on the JL as time goes by. Nice tool to have.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Oooo, now that's a protip. Real good information to have there. Thanks!!!
Sponsored