Sponsored

First video surfaces of the JL that ran over a woman at EJS

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
OT is the only safe way to fly in this thread.

otherwise its:
- 85% "judge Judy" style telling it like it is, never make a mistake driving lectures.
- 10% Actually watching video and wondering if he had his seat belt on, and if not if he got clocked which can even make a "Judge Judy know it all" do unexpected things.
- 4% hating all events, people taking pictures and fighting off urges to run over everyone
- 1% wish both parties are ok.

To dance between the 2 worlds I might add a Mike Tyson quote: "Everyone has a plan until they get hit". I am willing to bet he hit his head.. HARD, and I hope something amazingly good happens to all of them to offset this sad event.

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to add this in this post because it just happened to me yesterday.

Where I work I have a gravel road and when I was leaving I tapped my throttle pretty hard and let off quickly!

What I got in return was about 30’ of burnout! This surprised the heck out of me because I was only expecting about 5’ of get up and go! I was not trying to burn out just getting into it a little. As soon as my throttle released I instantly thought of this post and this accident!

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing with their JL? I have the 3.6 with the auto trans!

And before anyone gets the idea that maybe I didn’t know what I was doing or what actually happened. I have spent all my life working on cars trucks and Jeeps. I’ve done numerous street racers and know the difference between a little action and a sticking throttle. What I experienced was a momentary sticking of the throttle!

I rarely ever tap the throttle on my Jeep. It’s generally easy going or get into it completely! Never just a simple foot tap and release!

If anyone else thinks of this, may I ask that you give this a try a few times when it may be safe! Let’s see if this may actually be an issue not know or discussed yet!

What if it turns out we do see a problem and the driver was actually not completely at fault but maybe taken by surprised and we find we can duplicate it?

Just asking fellow jeepers!

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU

Where I work I have a gravel road and when I was leaving I tapped my throttle pretty hard and let off quickly!

What I got in return was about 30’ of burnout! This surprised the heck out of me because I was only expecting about 5’ of get up and go! I was not trying to burn out just getting into it a little. As soon as my throttle released I instantly thought of this post and this accident!

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing with their JL? I have the 3.6 with the auto trans!

And before anyone gets the idea that maybe I didn’t know what I was doing or what actually happened. I have spent all my life working on cars trucks and Jeeps. I’ve done numerous street racers and know the difference between a little action and a sticking throttle. What I experienced was a momentary sticking of the throttle!

I rarely ever tap the throttle on my Jeep. It’s generally easy going or get into it completely! Never just a simple foot tap and release!

If anyone else thinks of this, may I ask that you give this a try a few times when it may be safe! Let’s see if this may actually be an issue not know or discussed yet!

What if it turns out we do see a problem and the driver was actually not completely at fault but maybe taken by surprised and we find we can duplicate it?

Interesting...definitely would like to know more about this.

As far as the EJS crash. Sometimes things happen and people just freeze up, no one knows what they will do until it happens to them. I have been in military aviation for 30 years, seen many a good pilot drive a fighter jet straight into the ground in what should have been a doable recovery. Sometimes people just freeze.

Sponsored

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4

I’m actually curious about this and I’ll share my experience...

So when off roading and playing in the mud, I do enjoy actually getting nice and muddy so I’ll press the skinny pedal in - not full on but enough to get the tires spinning and mud flying up in the air - and I’ve noticed when I take my foot off the throttle, it does seem to keep thrusting forward and a couple times I hit the brakes to try and slow down / stop. It definitely felt very strange - not normal.

I don’t remember if I was in 2H or 4H or probably both at different times but I do know traction control was on. Not sure why, but my gut told me traction control was doing something weird so I turned it off for later muddy donuts.

The similarity here is we were both on loose surfaces / reduced traction situations. Me in some thin, shallow mud and you on gravel. In the video, he’s on smooth rock.

Might be coincidence or me incorrectly understanding what I was feeling but who knows? Could be something here to your theory too!

Speaking in terms of theory, I don’t know what would cause that type of response (excess throttle) in that situation (low traction / loose surface).

Quick edit: I wouldn’t describe the feeling as dramatic as a 30’ travel or whatever but it was significant enough that I was well aware of it.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

hmmmm interesting and worth checking out. Were you in 2wd, 4wd, 4wd low? It might not matter, just trying to be precise here.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I imagine the bank owns it, so, no. They are going to auction to try and recoup some of their cost of this royal fubar..
The bank doesn’t own it, the insurance company does. It’s totaled, the insurance company pays the money owed to the lienholder (bank) and the remaining balance of the value to the owner. At this point the insurance company owns the vehicle and auction it off to recoup whatever they can.

If the insurance company thought for a second it was a mechanical failure, they wouldn’t let it lose until Jeep bought it from them. If Jeep bought it from them, Jeep would never let it lose.

I believe what others have said, he had his foot on the wrong pedal (not both pedals, no brake lights), panicked and mashed the throttle until he ended up in a crevasse.

A personal anecdote that I shared in another thread:

When I used to handle insurance claims, a policy holder had a brand new GC SRT-8. He claimed he started it in a parking garage and put it in drive at which point it accelerated at full speed into a concrete wall (sandwiching a Ducati and BMW bike) and no matter how hard he pressed the brake it wouldn’t stop. He had surveillance video, which I watched [with a bowl of popcorn]. He was insistent that he never touched the gas. He insisted we investigate it fully. We gave in and flew in a vehicle forensics expert. Jeep did the same. Both of them reviewed data from the “black box” and they both confirmed he was at WOT when he hit the bikes/wall.
He also had a Ferrari, his wife’s Benz and his mansion on the policy. I gave him a little credit based on the Ferrari, we valued him more based on the mega-policy, and it was a totaled $75k SRT8 and two totaled high-end bikes. If it weren’t for these factors, we never would have even considered his story and just paid the claim and moved along. I can’t tell you how much time and money we wasted.

It's true that we don’t know with any certainty what happened, but by discussing/speculating I’ve gleaned some pretty good tips.

Oh, and call it whatever you want the "hand/e/parking brake" will bring you to a stop when the rusted out brake lines in your TJ fail as you're approaching a red light at a busy intersection. Ask me how I know.

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
hmmmm interesting and worth checking out. Were you in 2wd, 4wd, 4wd low? It might not matter, just trying to be precise here.
2 wheel drive.

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
That looks more like the drivers tire has dropped off the other side of the rock and the passenger side is stuffed up in the tire well.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, and call it whatever you want the "hand/e/parking brake" will bring you to a stop when the rusted out brake lines in your TJ fail as you're approaching a red light at a busy intersection. Ask me how I know.
You probably found out the same way I found out that the hand brake + manual transmission will slow you down and get you home when the main brake line goes out in a 95 XJ haha!

There's a definite pucker factor when that pedal goes to the floor the first time, though.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
You probably found out the same way I found out that the hand brake + manual transmission will slow you down and get you home when the main brake line goes out in a 95 XJ haha!

There's a definite pucker factor when that pedal goes to the floor the first time, though.

Y’all are classic examples of those who think and act in a crisis, rather than freeze. Good on ya.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Y’all are classic examples of those who think and act in a crisis, rather than freeze. Good on ya.
I had to. I loved that Jeep :CWL: Was in our family from 95 until it died when shock went through the floor this year (still got $800 for it)

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
The bank doesn’t own it, the insurance company does. It’s totaled, the insurance company pays the money owed to the lienholder (bank) and the remaining balance of the value to the owner. At this point the insurance company owns the vehicle and auction it off to recoup whatever they can.

If the insurance company thought for a second it was a mechanical failure, they wouldn’t let it lose until Jeep bought it from them. If Jeep bought it from them, Jeep would never let it lose.

I believe what others have said, he had his foot on the wrong pedal (not both pedals, no brake lights), panicked and mashed the throttle until he ended up in a crevasse.

A personal anecdote that I shared in another thread:

When I used to handle insurance claims, a policy holder had a brand new GC SRT-8. He claimed he started it in a parking garage and put it in drive at which point it accelerated at full speed into a concrete wall (sandwiching a Ducati and BMW bike) and no matter how hard he pressed the brake it wouldn’t stop. He had surveillance video, which I watched [with a bowl of popcorn]. He was insistent that he never touched the gas. He insisted we investigate it fully. We gave in and flew in a vehicle forensics expert. Jeep did the same. Both of them reviewed data from the “black box” and they both confirmed he was at WOT when he hit the bikes/wall.
He also had a Ferrari, his wife’s Benz and his mansion on the policy. I gave him a little credit based on the Ferrari, we valued him more based on the mega-policy, and it was a totaled $75k SRT8 and two totaled high-end bikes. If it weren’t for these factors, we never would have even considered his story and just paid the claim and moved along. I can’t tell you how much time and money we wasted.

It's true that we don’t know with any certainty what happened, but by discussing/speculating I’ve gleaned some pretty good tips.

What is a "WOT"?
Sponsored