Sponsored

First video surfaces of the JL that ran over a woman at EJS

garfieldtcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
AFAIK law still requires the e-brake to be mechanically engaged, and this IS a good thing to know in case of hydraulic failure.

All beginning drivers should be taught if the pedal goes to floor you stomp or grab for the e-brake.
I have been in the unfortunate situation of having to use the hand brake in an emergency. Not in a Jeep though.

My dog at the time ate the brake lines off my SUV. Well he chewed them up anyway. I guess he liked the taste of brake fluid, because he did it twice.

The brakes actually still worked for the first couple of stops but unbeknownst to me, it was hemorrhaging brake fluid each time. I was doing 60mph towards a t-junction when they finally failed. Started off with some weak brakes before they gave up completely.

Whipping the e-brake slowed me down enough to make the turn. I ended up in the median on the wrong side of the road but I didn't hit anything. If I hadn't been so fond of doing hand brake turns.. and didn't think to pull the e-brake, I almost certainly would have ended up in a head on collision with a railway bridge. I even drove that thing to my mechanic using the hand brake to stop along the way.
Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Watching this video pretty much confirms what I think most likely happened. He got offline on the driver side, and throttled out to try and save what he thought would be a roll.... He just lost control once it got back down on the flat. At least that sure is what it looks like to me.
This is the most logical explanation so far. Assuming he knew what to do if heading toward a roll. I didn't so I'm happy to learn something. Thanks!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
yeah you're right, totally safe. One guy directly in front of a jeep being shaken by two other guys directly behind the spinning wheels while the driver guns it. :headbang: . What could possibly go wrong?
Look where his wheels are pointing while he's getting rocked. The spotter knows what he's doing. There are no loose rocks to get kicked up on the guys behind. Meh, looks like a normal day off road to me.

djmason9

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bitcowsStickers.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 door Rubi, 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Vehicle Showcase
Look where his wheels are pointing while he's getting rocked. The spotter knows what he's doing. There are no loose rocks to get kicked up on the guys behind. Meh, looks like a normal day off road to me.
lol ok

Sponsored

Outlaw

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1992 YJ Wrangler, 1995 F350 Powerstroke, 1994 Ford Bronco
I don't want to pretend this is definitely what happened b/c it's hard to tell from the video's angle.

It *looks to me* like when the Jeep dropped into that first dip, the driver got offline and sent the driver front tire off the ledge or "domed" rock he was supposed to climb with both front tires, leaving just the passenger side tires up on the face as he continued forward.

Then, he was faced with throttling out of a potential roll since he was going to run both passenger tires onto that domed rock having missed the correct line completely with driver side tires. Throttling out and turning down hill (as is the prescribed method for saving a roll)....he lost control and didn't shut it down as soon as the passenger tires dropped onto the base surface for the domed rock.

At least that's what it looks like to me....
This is the first accurate assessment of the video. I agree. It looks like he did it to avoid the roll.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I have been in the unfortunate situation of having to use the hand brake in an emergency. Not in a Jeep though.

My dog at the time ate the brake lines off my SUV. Well he chewed them up anyway. I guess he liked the taste of brake fluid, because he did it twice.

The brakes actually still worked for the first couple of stops but unbeknownst to me, it was hemorrhaging brake fluid each time. I was doing 60mph towards a t-junction when they finally failed. Started off with some weak brakes before they gave up completely.

Whipping the e-brake slowed me down enough to make the turn. I ended up in the median on the wrong side of the road but I didn't hit anything. If I hadn't been so fond of doing hand brake turns.. and didn't think to pull the e-brake, I almost certainly would have ended up in a head on collision with a railway bridge. I even drove that thing to my mechanic using the hand brake to stop along the way.
That damned Odie!

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Look at the video. this all happened in under 3 seconds. Probably your brain goes in 100 different directions in those seconds to realize you need to grab emergency brake.
For me if I am in trouble on a motorcycle or bike, at speed, Let’s say life flashes before your eyes, the world slows honestly like the matrix movie. That clip may seems short, but it’s an etinerty.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
My sensitivity is down I'm just pointing out this out. I think there are some folks on here that might suggest that he was driving like an idiot, or being reckless.

I guess my question is, have you ever been wheeling? If you haven’t I’d refrain from casting judgement on someone saying they’re driving like an idiot or being reckless.

That said, the guy who was in front of the was the spotter. One would hope that he’d know where to go or what to do if shit went sideways with the rig he was spotting.

The guys in back, I don’t see an issue there as the vehicle aimed to go forward. They were rocking the Jeep in the hopes of get the tires to bite and get the vehicle to move forward as it high centered on the gas tank skid.

Now the driver, I’m not seeing the issue with what he was doing. He did not have the throttle floored. Yes the wheels were spinning, but not at some obscene rpm and he had complete control of the vehicle which is more than can be said about the dude who crashed.

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
This is the first accurate assessment of the video. I agree. It looks like he did it to avoid the roll.
But then why not hit the brakes the moment your no longer in trouble? I’ve wheeled some gnarly stuff and the moment I have too much momentum my foot is jamming the brake.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
There are several possible scenarios....from panic, to mechanical failure, to getting his foot stuck on the accelerator, to having hit his head on the interior and leaving it WOT, etc.

If you've never seen it occur, here's an example:

Kinda looks like that driver was knocked out when the vehicle dove nose-first into the ground. You can kinda see the driver's head bounce on impact (slow-mo shows it), and then the driver seems to be out.

The situation at EJS seems pretty different.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
We need audio. If he was yelling “Aloha Snackbar”, mystery solved.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not going to comment on he accident, but have been following to maybe learn something. I will say this, I'm 6' tall and have gotten smacked in the head by the roll bar in my JL while off roading a couple of times, one of them was a pretty good hit. Didn't knock me out or anything but my head was ringing. I commute with my daughter in her JK from time to time and will say the seats are considerably lower and the risk of a head shot to the roll bar is significantly less.

I also tend to sit up straight while wheeling for better vision and less stress on my back when the truck is rocking side to side. Again, not commenting on the accident but the discussion does bring up the potential of some people being more susceptible to hitting the roll bar.
Sponsored