First video surfaces of the JL that ran over a woman at EJS

farrell5000

First Name
Farrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
This might have been asked. Is this American Jeeper from Youtube?

Yes but I would imagine his attorney has advised him to staff off of youtube for the foreseeable future.
Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I mean its pretty obvious he punched the skinny pedal. You can see how hard his front tires hit when he got over the first ledge. The the tire dropped left and he appears he never let off the gas. I'd guess he was locked too making steering out of it not as easy and it just went the direction it was pointing after he came off that rock so hard.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Just looks like articulation from the driver tire dropping into that gap between the rocks. With enough force though, that could have bent the factory tie rod and made steering...interesting...during his Leeroy Jenkins moment.
Even then the vehicle is controllable, as in your brakes still work...

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've put my rubi in 4lo with lockers engaged, floored it, and I think I may have hit 3-5 mph
im confused, even with an auto, thats your top speed in 4 low? did the trans not shift?

seems like top speed in auto at 6k RPMS would be closer to 50MPH than 5mph

the point here is 20MPH is certainly attainable even in 4low in a VERY short amount of time. even if he only got to 2nd gear, your tire speed at that shift with an (assumed) electronically or physically floored throttle from 1st to 2nd would still be 8mph with 4to1, 4.11s and 35s. tire speed is 12mph at the top of second gear with the same running gear. 17MPH if you top out 3rd gear.

here are the calculated wheel speeds for each gear in the auto JLs with 4.10s and 4to1 in the transfer case
upload_2019-5-20_16-31-11.png

View attachment 183173

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I am amazed that anyone is taking seriously the insane idea of a passenger being assigned the responsibility of yanking the parking brake whenever he/she deems it appropriate.

XJ253

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 XJ
Even then the vehicle is controllable, as in your brakes still work...
We can only speculate with the lack of info we've had on this for a solid month. My best educated guess is that he was in 4H -- not unreasonable since he had just come off the Golden Spike Safari Route a few yards away, which is very smooth and flat and can be driven on in 2H for the most part. Even I take it out of 4L once in a while if a trail is going to be uneventful for a bit and just putt along in 4H 1st/2nd gear. At :04 seconds when you see the tires slip, they're rotating way too fast for 4L, especially a Rubicon. That's a 77:1 factory crawl ratio, plus the super low stall rate of the torque converter from the 850RE auto trans. I think he just forgot he wasn't in low range and then gave it too much gas to compensate for the lack of mechanical advantage from (unknowingly) not being in 4L.

After it took off and dove into the dip, either he clanged his head off the roll bar and was KO'd for a moment, or the bounce was enough to hop him in the seat (we've all had that happen before) and in a panic to try and stop, he hit the gas instead of the brake. He must have missed it completely because the brake lights don't light up at all.

I don't thing anything bent or broke here, as evidenced by the auction photos, it's just something that could contribute in a situation similar to this (braking ability notwithstanding).

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Peeps, isn't the emergency brake for, you know, EMERGENCIES?? Any reason why it would not have been engaged when the Jeep started to accelerate?

As a novice driver myself, I'd like to know if grabbing the e-brake would have (or have not) been a good call when things went sideways.
I'm teaching my daughter to drive and my left hand is ALWAYS near the emergency brake:like:. Of course I don't want to find out if it works or not:whew:

Sponsored

Adamdlc

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 Ram 2500
That has all the markings of a stuck throttle or accidental application of throttle. No way he'd hammer the throttle on purpose and stay in it like that.
This was my first thought the first time I saw the throttle controllers. Electronics fail way too often. Not to say the TC is to blame but that was my first impression.

djmason9

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bitcowsStickers.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 door Rubi, 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Vehicle Showcase
Why is it we are only seeing this crap video. Recording's of some screen and not the original one?

XJ253

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 XJ
Why is it we are only seeing this crap video. Recording's of some screen and not the original one?
It's likely either the original recording, or it was the original file sent via email seeing as they are watching it in Windows photo viewer, so it doesn't appear to have been uploaded to a video hosting site anywhere yet. Something about this whole thing is weird being that it happened over a month ago and this is the best we have so far.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado