Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase

XJ253

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 XJ
Again, we don't know. BTW, I've run Moab twice with primarily stock components without a failure. On other Jeeps, I've seen MANY broken upgraded components there. There are far too many variables to make a statement like that. IF something broke, it may have encountered a force that could have broken even the beefiest parts. We just don't know. Watch the video again, though. The front tires appear to have encountered a violent impact or the driver made a violent steering input, or both.

In case it isn't obvious, I'm not drawing conclusions, but rather exploring possibilities. I'm also not assigning blame.
Yeah, I don't think anything failed in this case (only that it could be a situational possibility due to having a locked wheel in that rocky rut) and even if it did, that doesn't explain the complete lack of brake lights -- which would be more than visible, since he did a fancy LED upgrade.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This is the 1st time i've seen this. Not judging here either, but the Jeep just kept accelerating. Not sure if that was human or mechanical/electrical. I am suspect of steering component failure as well. Sucks all around, but shit happens.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Yeah, I don't think anything failed in this case (only that it could be a situational possibility due to having a locked wheel in that rocky rut) and even if it did, that doesn't explain the complete lack of brake lights -- which would be more than visible, since he did a fancy LED upgrade.
That’s a good point. If the acceleration was a mechanical issue, you’d think he’d be standing on the brakes with both feet.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a good point. If the acceleration was a mechanical issue, you’d think he’d be standing on the brakes with both feet.
Maybe he thought he was, just like those Audi owners or Toyota owners did years ago when they thought their cars had developed a mind of their own. If he was jostled enough, especially off center of the seat, I´d imagine it would be easy to do. He may have been bouncing all over the place in that Jeep. He also may not have had a seatbelt on, which would have made it even worse.

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
The recovery looked pretty difficult when we saw it. Wouldn’t be shocked if it’s still there.
A bunch of people came and recovered it a couple days later without the owners permission. There’s a video of it somewhere.

Sponsored

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi x 2, 2009 JKU Rubi and 1981 CJ7 Rubiwannabe
My take on it is I feel bad for both of them. I see a tragic accident that unfortunately happened and glad all survived. I see where there is risk in everything we do, and we all accept responsibility for our actions. I certainly have no desire to cast judgement or blame on either party. I am certain the driver feels horrible and regrets losing control and likewise I am sure all spectators wish they were further away. I for one have had regrets of decisions I have made and wished I had done things differently. I wish all parties well, and hope they recover from this accident. For the rest of us I think there are lessons to be learned from this both as drivers and spectators. I appreciate the posting for the educational aspect and hopefully some silver lining will come from it that prevents similar or even more tragic events from occurring in the future. Just my two cents.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Is it me or does front passenger side tire look like it broke or some steering broke.

XJ253

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 XJ
Just looks like articulation from the driver tire dropping into that gap between the rocks. With enough force though, that could have bent the factory tie rod and made steering...interesting...during his Leeroy Jenkins moment.

PadreFreddie

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Alfredo Marrero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door, 3.6 manual
I wonder if a manual vs an automatic transmission could have made a difference in this situation. I'm guessing this one was an automatic and just kept on speeding on its own after the driver lost control, maybe I'm wrong, It's hard to tell on the video.
Sponsored