BigTed

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport 2 door
Hi Folks!
First time Jeep/Wrangler owner here. Last week I purchased a 2021 Wrangler sport 2 door/MT in Las Vegas. I was ecstatic to get my first jeep and excited that I found one with a manual transmission. I live in Northwest Washington state, about 1,200 miles away. On my drive home from Las Vegas (second day of owning), after about 1,000 miles I fuel up in Yakima WA, The "Service 4WD" warning light starts to flash. I pull over, and try putting it into 4 wheel drive. It shifts, but the 4WD indicator does not light up, and it does not seem to be in 4WD. I put it back into 2WD, and call to make a service appointment at my local Jeep dealer. I drive home the remaining 200 miles. Two days later, it is in with the local dealer's service department with them confident it can be diagnosed that afternoon. It is four days later now, and they are still unable to diagnose the problem.

I have never had a experience like this with a new vehicle purchase. How concerned should I be? Does anyone have any advice on what my next steps should be with my local service department? Should I contact Jeep/FCA?

Thanks in Advance!

Ted
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Hi Folks!
First time Jeep/Wrangler owner here. Last week I purchased a 2021 Wrangler sport 2 door/MT in Las Vegas. I was ecstatic to get my first jeep and excited that I found one with a manual transmission. I live in Northwest Washington state, about 1,200 miles away. On my drive home from Las Vegas (second day of owning), after about 1,000 miles I fuel up in Yakima WA, The "Service 4WD" warning light starts to flash. I pull over, and try putting it into 4 wheel drive. It shifts, but the 4WD indicator does not light up, and it does not seem to be in 4WD. I put it back into 2WD, and call to make a service appointment at my local Jeep dealer. I drive home the remaining 200 miles. Two days later, it is in with the local dealer's service department with them confident it can be diagnosed that afternoon. It is four days later now, and they are still unable to diagnose the problem.

I have never had a experience like this with a new vehicle purchase. How concerned should I be? Does anyone have any advice on what my next steps should be with my local service department? Should I contact Jeep/FCA?

Thanks in Advance!

Ted
@JeepCares

OP
OP
BigTed

BigTed

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heard from the dealership service manager last night. They believe they have found the issue with my "Service 4WD System" warning, and it is a malfunctioning Front Axle Disconnect FAD actuator. Part is on order and due in next few days. Fingers crossed.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Folks!

Thanks in Advance!

Ted
Thanks for tagging us here, chevymitchell.

If you need any assistance while at the dealer, BigTed, please send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

LOLtex

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Heard from the dealership service manager last night. They believe they have found the issue with my "Service 4WD System" warning, and it is a malfunctioning Front Axle Disconnect FAD actuator. Part is on order and due in next few days. Fingers crossed.
Mine was just diagnosed with the same problem, except they told me the part was on backorder and won't be in until June. This is the second failure of my FAD actuator in two years of ownership (2019 JL Sahara). I'm not sure why this is happening, I baby my Jeep too much as it is already.

Sponsored

bodhi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
I got this error on my 4xe today, and I just picked up the Jeep Thursday. So today was the first time I drove it since getting home from the dealership. Pretty disappointing

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Mine was just diagnosed with the same problem, except they told me the part was on backorder and won't be in until June. This is the second failure of my FAD actuator in two years of ownership (2019 JL Sahara). I'm not sure why this is happening, I baby my Jeep too much as it is already.
The problem is probably in the connector or wiring. It's very, very unlikely to have 2 brand new parts fail in a row, when practically nobody else is having issues with them.

OP
OP
BigTed

BigTed

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
when practically nobody else is having issues with them.
Hmmm, I'm not sure if that is the case, but I agree that 2 in a row might mean something else is ultimately causing the issue.

FWIW, here's a good video that helped me understand the FAD and it's actuator a little better. It makes me wonder if removing it (after warranty has expired) might not be a bad idea...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Hmmm, I'm not sure if that is the case, but I agree that 2 in a row might mean something else is ultimately causing the issue.

FWIW, here's a good video that helped me understand the FAD and it's actuator a little better. It makes me wonder if removing it (after warranty has expired) might not be a bad idea...

It is incredibly rare, no bad batch has been identified, no TSB, star case, trouble campaigns of any sort.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military

You have a FAD in your Sahara?

Sponsored