Sponsored

First time suspension sawp (392 XR into Sahara Diesel UNL), any last minute advice?

Ryand

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Unlimited Dies
Thanks to @Foxtrot1 for parting ways with his 392 XR suspension, I think I have my project for the weekend. Swapping the factory suspension on my 2022 Diesel Sahara Unlimited. Adding the rubi sway bar upgraded with the evo pnuematic connection at the same time. Any last minute advice? First time for me and I've watched literally days worth of videos but always will take constructive advice from this forum.

Thanks all.

20220922_142634.jpg
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
You've already seen the videos, just go about it slow, steady and methodically. Take the time to think about things as you go along. No need to be a speed hero. Pay attention to what is supported by what and make sure you don't accidentally let something drop on you.

It's not terribly difficult if you take it slow and think it through as you go. I did the same thing a little while ago. First time messing with a suspension. Everything went great.

Oh, if something doesn't line up quite right adjust your floor jack. Just a little adjustment to height or location can do wonders.

SFDemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara EcoDiesel
Let us know how much lift you end up with and how it rides. Sounds like a good option and probably heavy enough for the diesel as compared to regular Rubicon/XR suspension.

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I recently swapped in Rubicon springs and shocks onto a Sport model. I do consider myself an above average home mechanic (have built several off-road rigs and done a good bit of suspension work, just not specifically on a JL before). With power tools took about 2 hours total for me. I also watched a bunch of videos simply because they can save you a lot of time regarding what lines and hose need to be unhooked to prevent over-stressing them and other time saving tricks.
I raised both ends of the JL off the ground and put the frame up on jack stands, then put two floor jacks under each axle so you can raise and lower them side to side as needed. It saves time to do stuff in groups, which means I go and take all the tires off at the same time since I have the tools in my hand. Did start on one axle but basically do both sides at the same time......i.e. will take boths sides of the swaybar loose since you have the right tools, take both sides of brake brackets loose, take the shocks on both sides off, etc.... For this work it makes it much easier to have both sides of the axle "loose" at the same time to get the springs in and out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ryand

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took my time and had some fun. Got the suspension and modified front swaybar installed. Gained 1.5 inches front and back and the ride feels great. I have a wicked rattle in the back I'll have to take a look at tomorrow but all in all I didn't run into anything too gnarly :) thx for the advice all!

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
@Ryand, Glad I come across your post! I am also purchasing a 392xr take offs and doing some research. 1.5 in increase is a bit lower than I expected for a 392xr. Is it due to diesel is even heavier?
How's the ride quality with the new setup and do you need to add new bump stops?
Any feedback is much appreciated!

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
I printed out the instructions for the Mopar lift for the torque specs on everything.

OP
OP

Ryand

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@zyt yes the diesel is heavy so I think that's the reason it didn't left as much as a gas engine. My wife says the ride is rough and honestly i think I am going to mess around with it more this year to see if I can soften it up. Good luck!

Reactions: zyt

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
Thanks for confirming! I will be using the 392 xr take off suspension as a lift for my 3.6 sports to run 35in tires. I will report back on how much of a lift it provides for me.

Sponsored

libis22

First Name
Libin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Daytona 675R, Willys sport XR
Occupation
Electronics engineer building software
@zyt yes the diesel is heavy so I think that's the reason it didn't left as much as a gas engine. My wife says the ride is rough and honestly i think I am going to mess around with it more this year to see if I can soften it up. Good luck!
Hello, when you say the ride is rough, does it handle better in corners? what tires are you running on this? Did you notice any major geometry changes which needs adjustment with a trackbar or longer control arms? thanks

OP
OP

Ryand

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rough all around. I am not a super fast corner taker to hard to say it handled differently in corners. A couple weeks ago, I put back on my original suspension but kept the 2inch body lift and its back to feeling like i feel it should. I might try the last config I have without adding cost just muscle soreness, which would be to remove body lift and try the 392XR suspension without it to see what it feels like. Geometry wise, the only other thing i changed was I put in the 392 tracbar since it was different from my original and I used the 392 swaybar links as well. I have left the 392trac on but put the shorter swaybar links I had originally. Not sure if I'm answering your questions :)?

OP
OP

Ryand

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
do you think having 392XR suspension on top of a inexpensive body lift might cause the roughness? I wasn't thinking so but the body lift sets the springs down 1 1/2 in the back and 2 inches in the front, no sure if that bit of "pre-compression" would cause a noticeable difference.
Sponsored