Sponsored

First time off road in JLU Sahara and got it stuck!!!!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So... let me set the stage...

This 2018 black on black, JLU Shara is my wife's b-day gift. I won't say what b-day (I don't want to get in trouble) but it's a significant one.
I'm allowed to drive it when she isn't (lucky me;))
We own a flower shop (this will play into the story)
The following events took place on MY WIFE'S BIRTHDAY and WE HAD TO GO SET UP A WEDDING THAT DAY.

I decided not to leave a note or tell anyone where is was going and took the Jeep out to bed in the brakes (that's another conversation on it's own). As I'm driving around I found a stone parking lot to play around in with 2H, 4H and 4L. Then I realized "Hey there are trails around here, I'll go check them out and find some fun ones to take the Mrs. on." The first one was short and cool. The second one was longer and had some tricky spots but the Jeep was kicking arse! It was muddy and some spots were pretty slick, I saw the road ahead and saw the last swampy muddy spot I needed to cross.
There really wasn't a good line to pick but I wound up picking the worst one. I was riding up on the high ground with the ruts next to me. Because it was slick I slid off this high ground into the tire ruts and bam... bellyed it on the mud between the tracks. I could hear the axles spinning in the mud, I left it in 4L, got out and could see all 4 tires spinning freely. Lovely, need to be home in 45 mins to go do that wedding and I'm muddy, there is NO WAY to get out on my own, my wife's new Jeep is muddy inside and out, I'm screwed.
SO, I called my daughter and son-in-law who live 50 mins away to bring their lifted JKU to tow me out while we were doing this wedding. Then I started to walk home as I waited for my other daughter to come pick me up.

Needless to say the Mrs. was NOT happy.
Sponsored

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
You should now buy the MRS a winch for an additional beg for forgiveness present... that should get you out of the mud and dog house.... :)

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
First thing I thought of was a winch. Sadly it would have done jack squat since I was way too far away from anything I could have anchored to :mad:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
So... let me set the stage...

This 2018 black on black, JLU Shara is my wife's b-day gift. I won't say what b-day (I don't want to get in trouble) but it's a significant one.
I'm allowed to drive it when she isn't (lucky me;))
We own a flower shop (this will play into the story)
The following events took place on MY WIFE'S BIRTHDAY and WE HAD TO GO SET UP A WEDDING THAT DAY.

I decided not to leave a note or tell anyone where is was going and took the Jeep out to bed in the brakes (that's another conversation on it's own). As I'm driving around I found a stone parking lot to play around in with 2H, 4H and 4L. Then I realized "Hey there are trails around here, I'll go check them out and find some fun ones to take the Mrs. on." The first one was short and cool. The second one was longer and had some tricky spots but the Jeep was kicking arse! It was muddy and some spots were pretty slick, I saw the road ahead and saw the last swampy muddy spot I needed to cross.
There really wasn't a good line to pick but I wound up picking the worst one. I was riding up on the high ground with the ruts next to me. Because it was slick I slid off this high ground into the tire ruts and bam... bellyed it on the mud between the tracks. I could hear the axles spinning in the mud, I left it in 4L, got out and could see all 4 tires spinning freely. Lovely, need to be home in 45 mins to go do that wedding and I'm muddy, there is NO WAY to get out on my own, my wife's new Jeep is muddy inside and out, I'm screwed.
SO, I called my daughter and son-in-law who live 50 mins away to bring their lifted JKU to tow me out while we were doing this wedding. Then I started to walk home as I waited for my other daughter to come pick me up.

Needless to say the Mrs. was NOT happy.
I guess taking her flowers isn't going to help much...

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
First thing I thought of was a winch. Sadly it would have done jack squat since I was way too far away from anything I could have anchored to :mad:
Bummer....hi lift jack and logs? LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Flowers... LOL!

Yep, daughter had a hi-lift and they used it but the logs did little, basically the tow is what got it out.
Yep, already thought of the never go alone. Dumb move on my part especially after watching all of those "I shouldn't be alive" shows on Amazon.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So all seasons or all terrains?

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Sahara came with a pretty aggressive tire, not sure if it would classify as either, almost like a hybrid. The road noise and ride are nice yet it's a very meaty tire (also looks cool compared the the Sport model)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The Sahara came with a pretty aggressive tire, not sure if it would classify as either, almost like a hybrid. The road noise and ride are nice yet it's a very meaty tire (also looks cool compared the the Sport model)
Probably the All Terrains, I have them too, good to know they can still get slippery in advance.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I have no idea what you’re talking about... :lipssealed:

52F8E8A3-1B95-4628-9DC1-813CC0016713.jpeg

In this case technically 2nd time out with old Rubi Doozer (first mild challenge), just at the trailhead!
With a ledge & gully eroded by previous coupla days rain collapsed...
but... same result. :headbang:

Of course it’s much better when you have a bunch of witnesses... err.... friends... to assist and to help re-construct/deconstruct the event later at the bar. :blush::beer:

Still better than the FJ we encountered a few KMs further into the trail (we gave them a lift back to their vehicle after they started hiking out about a mile)... note same rope..

2B1E811D-D8D4-4F24-AB43-C5453D10EC36.jpeg

BTW, the Sahara tyres are likely the Bridgestone Duellers, that’s the typical standard Sahara tyre.

Did they look like this... ?

D883A0B5-3AB9-4C64-82AD-1521119DC13A.jpeg

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
LOL! Whew... I'm not alone.

Regarding the tires :) I will find out when my wife gets home. They don't look like that at all.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Ha !
Buying the Mrs a Jeep is like buying her a new Skill Saw ...and If you own a Jeep and dont get it stuck ...well then you dont own a Jeep

I like your 1st resolve in calling the Son-in-law to bring his " Lifted " Jeep to get you out ...lol

Hope your stay in the Doghouse is quick !!

" so you can go get that skill saw " ..........I know you were thinkin it

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
LOL! Whew... I'm not alone.

Regarding the tires :) I will find out when my wife gets home. They don't look like that at all.
If you got the Limited Slip Differential they came with the other tires that are A/T and not all weather. The ones posted above are the all weather.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OK, good to know. I hate feeling like a noob but how do I know if I have a limited slip diff? When I told the guy that all 4 tires were spinning in the water he said that means you have a limited slip because as soon as one slips it will engage the other and turn them both.
Sponsored