Sponsored

First Time Jeep Owner Experience

try4321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE, 2018 Tesla X LR
I am a first time Jeep owner and just wanted to share my experience, a lot of it is probably redundant to this forum and I hope some of it is new.

Context: We have Tesla X, love it, and use it as primary family car. We also had a Honda Clarity Plug In, it is a very decent car but we barely used it. We were replacing this Honda and I wanted a rugged 4x4 to try out some off-roading and something I would want to drive more often.

Choices:
  1. G550: always wanted one but way out our budget and not sure, even if we could afford it, would I really take it out on a trail
  2. Jeep Rubicon: Another one I always wanted
  3. Defender 110: I test drove both I4 and I6 and they both felt sluggish and it is out of our budget. V8 coming out in Dec would be out our budget as well
  4. Bronco: we didn't try given Defender performance. it was clear we need an electric or a plug-in to get that engine response affordably
  5. Land Cruiser: out of our budget
Jeep Rubicon 4XE seem to be our best fit and something I always wanted. It was impossible to find one to test drive. But eventually we found one, a bit far from us, but this one missed a few things I wanted in my ideal config (we will get back to this). I drove it, liked it and bought it right away.

So what's missing:
  1. Color: I wasn't sure about white but with Rubicon and 4XE decals it looks pretty good. I will add 1941 swoosh
  2. Trail-cam: Dealer is checking with their service dept to have it installed, at my cost, but they are struggling to find all parts especially the wiring harness
  3. headliners: They ordered it and will install it

Now my experience driving it for a week:
  1. Plug in hybrid is good, their four modes are intuitive 1) Prioritize engine and maintain battery, 2) Prioritize engine and charge battery, 3) Prioritize battery, and 4) Balance battery and engine. More here Thank You @Chris Hall
  2. 2H is very sluggish but 4H-auto is a different story. It drives awesome on 4h-auto
  3. Jeep Wave program is very good and it is included in the price. It also come with five year SiriusXM Traffic and Travel, six month all-access, and one year Guardian
Wishlist is all minor stuff:
  1. It remember hybrid mode choice and max-regeneration button on each start
  2. Power-flow EV page is a choice on instrument cluster
  3. A way to stop creep and double tap brake hold (other than hand brake) on traffic light
  4. EV cover is water proof that it didn't need inner plug cover
  5. Lane keeping assist

Upcoming shopping list:
  1. Fire extinguisher and mount
  2. door sill guards
  3. trail tow kit
  4. all weather mats
  5. 40 amp, 220v charger, J1772
  6. 1941 Swoosh
After a year, once I get a hang of it and a bit of off-roading training:
  1. 35s
  2. 2" lift kit
  3. Winch
  4. LEDs

I am looking for NJ jeep group for a novice like me, NJJA seems reasonable. I am looking for affordable basic off-road training classes in central jersey.

I will share my first ever off-road experience once I get a chance to try it.

Jeep Wrangler JL First Time Jeep Owner Experience jee
Sponsored

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
If you look around on here "max regen" doesn't get you the maximum battery life. I've only seen it posted a dozen times now. I would do a poor job of explaining it well. But I did see it posted once already today.

OP
OP

try4321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you look around on here "max regen" doesn't get you the maximum battery life. I've only seen it posted a dozen times now. I would do a poor job of explaining it well. But I did see it posted once already today.
Max Regen is more of a convenience feature that lets you drive with just gas pedal (one pedal driving) in most cases

cutandrun

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 turbo, Mercedes G550, Rubicon 4xe
You can get an aftermarket front camera from Z Automotive. They are out of stock on their website but in stock at Quadratec. Don’t order the JL version—order the JT. It fits perfectly and looks stock. You will have to order the Tazer JL Mini programmer with it to enable the second camera input on the main Uconnect screen. Added bonus: the Tazer will remember your max regen setting.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

try4321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can get an aftermarket front camera from Z Automotive. They are out of stock on their website but in stock at Quadratech. Don’t order the JL version—order the JT. It fits perfectly and looks stock. You will have to order the Tazer Mini programmer with it to enable the second camera input on the main Uconnect screen. Added bonus: the Tazer will remember your max regen setting.
Thanks for the suggestion, I probably will go that route once I get dealer's response.

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Max Regen is more of a convenience feature that lets you drive with just gas pedal (one pedal driving) in most cases
The brakes also regenerate battery power to a certain braking threshold. I wouldn't call one pedal driving convenient with the jerkiness of the max regen.

tubernator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 991.2 4S Cab, Tesla Model X
My guess is that coming from a Tesla X (Also my wife’s Daily Driver), you will be very familiar with Max Regen and use it quite a bit in traffic. I am expecting delivery of our Rubi 4xe in the next two-three weeks, and building similar lists, but not sure I could wait a year for wheels/tires ;) .

White looks great with the 4xe color scheme, good choice. I wanted Nacho, but we went with Sting due to current options for order.

Sponsored

OP
OP

try4321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any issues driving in 4h-auto all the time, is it not advisable?
I read a bunch of manuals and watched YouTube videos. They all talk about fuel economy in 4h-auto but nothing about problem with driving in it all the time.

Gorilla83

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 4XE, 2021 Tesla 3 Performance
Occupation
Tech and Real Estate Guy
Congratulations on the new ride! Funny enough, I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of both my 4XE Rubi and a Tesla Model 3 performance....going to be a long month or so but we're pumped. :)

I'd also be interested if you find any good local Jeep clubs to learn some basic trails - I'm in PA but don't mind traveling a bit. My son has been asking (begging) to hit some trails. :)

OP
OP

try4321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's the scoop with the JT over the JL version? (Camera specs seem to be the same)
Front grill of Rub 4XE is same as JT so no need to cut/snip it.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Front grill of Rub 4XE is same as JT so no need to cut/snip it.
Oh, that would be terrific. I saw the description for both variants it indicated it needed a little trimming but the instructions for the JT version are actually for the JL (the PDFs linked on the Quadratec site).

I mean, I'm fine with a little grill mod like that (it's a mod-o-rama around here with my other cars), but would welcome not having to do it.

Thanks!

Congratulations on the new ride! Funny enough, I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of both my 4XE Rubi and a Tesla Model 3 performance....going to be a long month or so but we're pumped. :)

I'd also be interested if you find any good local Jeep clubs to learn some basic trails - I'm in PA but don't mind traveling a bit. My son has been asking (begging) to hit some trails. :)
I'm semi-impatiently waiting for the new tax credits to land and then I'm ordering a M3P to replace my Mustang GT convertible since the 4xe is now in charge of topless fun :D

We're looking to do some trails too, heck, the wife is totally into it (though we're not like campers or anything, our "offroading" involves the ocean :D)
Sponsored