Sponsored

First Time Jeep Owner Experience

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Jeep drives different on 4H-Auto, very responsive, power is readily available, better handling, BUT low low mileage. I guess I will drive more on 2H... for the planet.
Hmm I also didn’t realize it used different power/transmission programming in 4H-Auto! I’ll have to try that after my current “how many miles of around town driving do I get on a full charge?” test is over. In 2H I swear it doesn’t feel any more powerful than my 3.6.
Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Hmm I also didn’t realize it used different power/transmission programming in 4H-Auto! I’ll have to try that after my current “how many miles of around town driving do I get on a full charge?” test is over. In 2H I swear it doesn’t feel any more powerful than my 3.6.
My guess is that, unless you're really pushing it, you won't feel much of a difference because it's trying to conserve that energy. It's only going to give you it's all when you demand it.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Jeep drives different on 4H-Auto, very responsive, power is readily available, better handling, BUT low low mileage. I guess I will drive more on 2H... for the planet.
I'll have to test this out. I drove it around in 4H auto for a bit initially and didn't notice much of a difference outside of better traction if I got on it from a stand still, which makes sense if the rear wheels spin a bit, the front kicks in. Though I admit I didn't run it that way for long.

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
I am a first time Jeep owner and just wanted to share my experience, a lot of it is probably redundant to this forum and I hope some of it is new.

Context: We have Tesla X, love it, and use it as primary family car. We also had a Honda Clarity Plug In, it is a very decent car but we barely used it. We were replacing this Honda and I wanted a rugged 4x4 to try out some off-roading and something I would want to drive more often.

Choices:
  1. G550: always wanted one but way out our budget and not sure, even if we could afford it, would I really take it out on a trail
  2. Jeep Rubicon: Another one I always wanted
  3. Defender 110: I test drove both I4 and I6 and they both felt sluggish and it is out of our budget. V8 coming out in Dec would be out our budget as well
  4. Bronco: we didn't try given Defender performance. it was clear we need an electric or a plug-in to get that engine response affordably
  5. Land Cruiser: out of our budget
Jeep Rubicon 4XE seem to be our best fit and something I always wanted. It was impossible to find one to test drive. But eventually we found one, a bit far from us, but this one missed a few things I wanted in my ideal config (we will get back to this). I drove it, liked it and bought it right away.

So what's missing:
  1. Color: I wasn't sure about white but with Rubicon and 4XE decals it looks pretty good. I will add 1941 swoosh
  2. Trail-cam: Dealer is checking with their service dept to have it installed, at my cost, but they are struggling to find all parts especially the wiring harness
  3. headliners: They ordered it and will install it

Now my experience driving it for a week:
  1. Plug in hybrid is good, their four modes are intuitive 1) Prioritize engine and maintain battery, 2) Prioritize engine and charge battery, 3) Prioritize battery, and 4) Balance battery and engine. More here Thank You @Chris Hall
  2. 2H is very sluggish but 4H-auto is a different story. It drives awesome on 4h-auto
  3. Jeep Wave program is very good and it is included in the price. It also come with five year SiriusXM Traffic and Travel, six month all-access, and one year Guardian
Wishlist is all minor stuff:
  1. It remember hybrid mode choice and max-regeneration button on each start
  2. Power-flow EV page is a choice on instrument cluster
  3. A way to stop creep and double tap brake hold (other than hand brake) on traffic light
  4. EV cover is water proof that it didn't need inner plug cover
  5. Lane keeping assist

Upcoming shopping list:
  1. Fire extinguisher and mount
  2. door sill guards
  3. trail tow kit
  4. all weather mats
  5. 40 amp, 220v charger, J1772
  6. 1941 Swoosh
After a year, once I get a hang of it and a bit of off-roading training:
  1. 35s
  2. 2" lift kit
  3. Winch
  4. LEDs

I am looking for NJ jeep group for a novice like me, NJJA seems reasonable. I am looking for affordable basic off-road training classes in central jersey.

I will share my first ever off-road experience once I get a chance to try it.

jeep.jpg

Great review - thank you!

How noticeable is the gas engine when stopping/starting? I've got a 2.0 JLUR now that just has the stop/start system, not the full Etorque. My wife very much dislikes when the engine shuts off as you feel a very noticeable shudder each time it does so. Is that better on the 4xe?

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon

How noticeable is the gas engine when stopping/starting? I've got a 2.0 JLUR now that just has the stop/start system, not the full Etorque. My wife very much dislikes when the engine shuts off as you feel a very noticeable shudder each time it does so. Is that better on the 4xe?
Just recently moved to my 4xe from 3 years with a 3.6 Rubicon. I always turned off auto s/s every time I got in the 3.6. With the 4xe it is completely seamless. You won't feel anything.

Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Just recently moved to my 4xe from 3 years with a 3.6 Rubicon. I always turned off auto s/s every time I got in the 3.6. With the 4xe it is completely seamless. You won't feel anything.
Same for my wife - she starts the jeep, then immediately shuts off ESS. glad to hear the 4xe system is more seamless! - thank you

OP
OP

try4321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE, 2018 Tesla X LR

It is very subtle. Engine starting/stopping is more subtle than automatic gear changes, at least in my opinion

OP
OP

try4321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE, 2018 Tesla X LR
anyone else able to confirm my feel/opinion that 4H-Auto drives and handles noticeably better than 2H or is it all in my head?

I saw 392 the other day, not bad. It got me thinking, the ultimate oxymoron would be 392-4XE with Xtreme recon package and I, most likely, will trade-in my rubicon-4xe for that. 😀
Sponsored