First Time Jeep Owner Experience

cutandrun

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 turbo, Mercedes G550, Rubicon 4xe
Oh, that would be terrific. I saw the description for both variants it indicated it needed a little trimming but the instructions for the JT version are actually for the JL (the PDFs linked on the Quadratec site).

I mean, I'm fine with a little grill mod like that (it's a mod-o-rama around here with my other cars), but would welcome not having to do it.

Thanks!
The only difference is the shape of the plastic retainer around the camera. The JT version snaps right in to the 4xe grill. The JL version is made for the smaller honeycomb design of the regular JL. I don’t think it could ever be made to look right in the 4xe grill.

If you want JT Cam specific installation instructions, they are available on the zautomotive.com site. There is no cutting of the grill to accommodate the camera.
Sponsored

Gorilla83

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 4XE, 2021 Tesla 3 Performance
Occupation
Tech and Real Estate Guy
I'm semi-impatiently waiting for the new tax credits to land and then I'm ordering a M3P to replace my Mustang GT convertible since the 4xe is now in charge of topless fun :D

We're looking to do some trails too, heck, the wife is totally into it (though we're not like campers or anything, our "offroading" involves the ocean :D)
Awesome! I'm also a lifelong muscle car guy - in the past few years have owned a 2nd gen CTS-V, Hellcat, and a few vettes. The M3P wasn't really even on our radar until we came across an opportunity to test drive a couple weeks ago and we were blown away! For anyone else looking for a really fun, practical car with awesome performance, this model/trim is worth a look. Certainly doesn't replace the top off fun and capabilites of the Wranger, but they are the perfect pairing IMO.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
The only difference is the shape of the plastic retainer around the camera. The JT version snaps right in to the 4xe grill. The JL version is made for the smaller honeycomb design of the regular JL. I don’t think it could ever be made to look right in the 4xe grill.

If you want JT Cam specific installation instructions, they are available on the zautomotive.com site. There is no cutting of the grill to accommodate the camera.
Outstanding! Thanks for the additional confirmation. I'm kind of digging on having the FFC, so if I wind up doing this (and the Tazer), I'll make sure to get the JT model.

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Awesome! I'm also a lifelong muscle car guy - in the past few years have owned a 2nd gen CTS-V, Hellcat, and a few vettes. The M3P wasn't really even on our radar until we came across an opportunity to test drive a couple weeks ago and we were blown away! For anyone else looking for a really fun, practical car with awesome performance, this model/trim is worth a look. Certainly doesn't replace the top off fun and capabilites of the Wranger, but they are the perfect pairing IMO.
Nice.

I've been through a number of muscle/"muscle-sports", my last two GTs, had 4 Vettes myself (even did an NCM delivery), and also done a few high performance imports (I had a ~750HP, 4th Gen Supra, that was substantially modified, coilovers, custom paint, aero, AP brakes, etc.), an S2K, 2/3rd Gen RX7s.

We've generally kind of tried to have the "family ride", usually an SUV with decent towing capacity (T4R, X5 4.4i, Durango RT/AWD), and my car which is usually my project/fun, some tracking, and has been the convertible/weekend car the last decade or so.

You know, if I'm being honest, I've been very critical of Tesla and just EVs in general, but I had a major change of perspective over the last year or two, I've migrated all my yard tools to Greenworks electric - the 4xe purchase, which added to my desire to own a BEV - and now with the Wrangler being the fun/beach/short range family/tow vehicle, I'm looking to swap my car for something that's still sporty/quick, but that can do the typical family trips (with low cost, in quiet comfort).

OP
OP

try4321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE, 2018 Tesla X LR
Nice.

I've been through a number of muscle/"muscle-sports", my last two GTs, had 4 Vettes myself (even did an NCM delivery), and also done a few high performance imports (I had a ~750HP, 4th Gen Supra, that was substantially modified, coilovers, custom paint, aero, AP brakes, etc.), an S2K, 2/3rd Gen RX7s.

We've generally kind of tried to have the "family ride", usually an SUV with decent towing capacity (T4R, X5 4.4i, Durango RT/AWD), and my car which is usually my project/fun, some tracking, and has been the convertible/weekend car the last decade or so.

You know, if I'm being honest, I've been very critical of Tesla and just EVs in general, but I had a major change of perspective over the last year or two, I've migrated all my yard tools to Greenworks electric - the 4xe purchase, which added to my desire to own a BEV - and now with the Wrangler being the fun/beach/short range family/tow vehicle, I'm looking to swap my car for something that's still sporty/quick, but that can do the typical family trips (with low cost, in quiet comfort).
Welcome to electrified world. I am on my 2nd Tesla (2016 S 90D and then 2019 X 100D) and have loved both of them. I don't think I have seen a better drive quality (had ICE BMW and ICE Mercedes before them) Tesla interior for sure can use some help, slapping a big screen in the middle doesn't make it a nice UX automatically. There wasn't any good competition till last year. Now we have Mustang Mach-E, Taycan, eTron, and F150 lightening. I will definitely look at them next year when its time to replace X.

Another thing: have you tried Ego Power tools?

Yet Another thing: Residential solar in NJ is still very profitable with 15% or more ROI even after SREC program transition.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Welcome to electrified world. I am on my 2nd Tesla (2016 S 90D and then 2019 X 100D) and have loved both of them. I don't think I have seen a better drive quality (had ICE BMW and ICE Mercedes before them) Tesla interior for sure can use some help, slapping a big screen in the middle doesn't make it a nice UX automatically. There wasn't any good competition till last year. Now we have Mustang Mach-E, Taycan, eTron, and F150 lightening. I will definitely look at them next year when its time to replace X.

Another thing: have you tried Ego Power tools?

Yet Another thing: Residential solar in NJ is still very profitable with 15% or more ROI even after SREC program transition.
It's funny, I've been around Teslas quite a bit, spent time in the Valley where they're like yellow cabs in NYC, have close friends who have had multiple, even went to an event with one of them and got to ride in an original Roadster. For some reason though, it just never clicked, I'm even in the tech sector (dev/architect), and I'm always tinkering with something, I'm typically an early adopter too.

I haven't used Ego though I'm familiar. I love our Greenworks stuff, I got a blower a couple of years ago (gift), charger, battery, then I started buying "tool only" at Amazon, pole saw, string trimmer, under $100, and I used the same pack across all of them. Then, I was out of gas for our push mower, knew I had a mow approaching, and right about then, I saw a killer deal on Woot.com for a Greenworks battery mower, 2 batteries and a charger ($199 from $440-ish, and new, not refurb), that's barely the price for just the batteries and charger - so not with 3 packs, 2 chargers, I just constantly have power, the 40v/4.0a pack will do the +whole+ yard, or the front, plus trimming plus blowing.

No smell, start/stop is simple and fast, and it's so QUIET. I've been using it without the bag, that reduces the noise even more, and I could have a conversation level phone call while I mowed, it's so nice.

At that point I totally snapped, discovered the 4xe, went all in with an xEV vehicle future. If the $7500 was still in place, I would've already ordered, especially with used prices being this insane (I ran my Mustang through the usual suspects, all offers were the same price I paid 2 years ago ...)

Have knocked around solar, but I think we're in a possible transition point with our current house, can't really plan anything that might be longer than a 5 year ROI. We have friends in the industry, and almost did something several years back.

Sorry for derailing your thread 🤓

OP
OP

try4321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Week 2 update:

All in all still loving it
  1. You can see energy consumption spike up as you reach 75mph. JL Drag coeff is 0.45 and TeslaX is 0.25, it shows when you compare energy consumption of both at 40mph vs 75mph
  2. Dealer is not able to confirm their ability to install trailcam using stock parts without affecting warranty. @JeepCares is this something you can help with?
  3. There is creaking noise from rearview mirror assembly, will have dealer service check it out. On that note, is there a way to raise rearview mirror an inch or so? right now it blocks my view when turning right.
  4. Still cannot figure out what ambient light dimmer does, I tried it in totally dark garage as well, no effect
  5. In my use pattern, I am doing 70% EV miles and 30% gas.

Is there is way to shorten/automate this checklist (order may be off):
  1. Seat belt
  2. Garage door open
  3. start button
  4. brake+shifter
  5. max-regen
  6. Electric mode
  7. uconnect > EV pages > power flow
  8. parking break
  9. drive
  10. garage door close
I am the only one who drives it, so luckily no need to adjust seat/mirrors/steering

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Someone put in a factory trail camera. It's a big job that even requires replacing the backup camera. I recall something about the harness and needing to diy some of the harness connectors. Cost in parts was around 1200, of which, I think much of it was related to the harness.

The aftermarket cameras have to get hooked in as a cargo camera and are not high def.

My ideal setup would be a trail cam that was also a dash cam. I think the Bronco has that on some trims.

OP
OP

try4321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone put in a factory trail camera. It's a big job that even requires replacing the backup camera. I recall something about the harness and needing to diy some of the harness connectors. Cost in parts was around 1200, of which, I think much of it was related to the harness.

The aftermarket cameras have to get hooked in as a cargo camera and are not high def.

My ideal setup would be a trail cam that was also a dash cam. I think the Bronco has that on some trims.
this is the one you are talking about, I was hoping dealer can do that on my JL. Some parts in this post are not compatible with JL 4XE

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-trail-camera-to-gladiator-diy-writeup.35026/

Sponsored

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
So much better pushing pollution off to third world countries to enjoy "green" energy in the US!

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Elaborate please
Do not feed, he is just cherry picking facts to troll. It happens a bit here when the 4xe topics hit the general feed.

Yes, there are issues, especially when it comes to cobolt mining.

Somehow people don't get upset about the cobalt in their phone batteries.

However, the auto industry is pushing for better ESG practices, changing the battery chemistries, recycling processes, etc.

The technology is rapidly evolving, it needs to in order to stay competitive. The supply chain needs protection from political instability and investors don't want to be investing in companies with bad ESG.

There was a time when people were angry unleaded gasoline was being forced on them. Who wants to go back to that now?

My son is actually studying materials science as he wants to work on these issues. :)
Sponsored