First time Jeep Buyer - Price Question

abrahamp411

First Name
Abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Hello. been looking around for Jeep Rubicon for a few months and came across this one at a dealer. They won't go any lower so I decided to research a bit more before making a decision.

I found a 2020 Rubicon Ocean Blue with the following options:

Cold weather group
Trailer tow and electric
LED lighting
8.4 radio and premium audio
Safety group
Steel bumper group
8 speed auto (850RE)
Remote proximity keyless entry
Black 3 piece hard top
Body color fenders

Invoice: $54,603.00

MSRP: $57,935.00
Dealer discount: $4,732.00
Tax: $5,462.02
License and fees: $666.75

Total: $59,416.77

I appreciate any input and advice. thank you.
Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Start at $51,500 (+TTL) and don’t go any higher.

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
You can post up the window sticker if you have the vin#. to me it looks like your MSRP is too high for those options.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So about 53,200 (excluding fees and taxes)? On a $54.6 invoice (Using the invoice tools posted on this forum)?

1) seems like the fees ($666) are a bit high but I don’t know california.

2) in Many areas, you should be able To negotiate 4-8% off invoice.... 5% off is a good number in many places. —— roughly $51.9k

so, bottom line, I think that the dealer is about $1300 too high and the doc fees look high to me too....

California seems to be a hard place to buy Jeep. Reports here suggests lots of dealers just not budging too much on Wranglers. I think $51.x - $52.0 is a fair price (and you can do even better than that in many places)...... Not sure about that price in California.

Sponsored

neeesack

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
So about 53,200 (excluding fees and taxes)? On a $54.6 invoice (Using the invoice tools posted on this forum)?

1) seems like the fees ($666) are a bit high but I don’t know california.

2) in Many areas, you should be able To negotiate 4-8% off invoice.... 5% off is a good number in many places. —— roughly $51.9k

so, bottom line, I think that the dealer is about $1300 too high and the doc fees look high to me too....

California seems to be a hard place to buy Jeep. Reports here suggests lots of dealers just not budging too much on Wranglers. I think $51.x - $52.0 is a fair price (and you can do even better than that in many places)...... Not sure about that price in California.
I think I have a feeling of which jeep he's talking about and what dealership. The fees from his configuration are close to what the dealership sent me, $661.75, which is close to what I calculated from the dmv website. That doesn't include the CA doc fee of $85.

Yeah, negotiating on price around here in the LA area hasn't been much luck, 3% below invoice is the best I got and it was at this dealership that I'm assuming OP is looking at.

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
Holy crap! I know everything in Cali is expensive, but this is a little crazy. Maybe travelling to a different area/ state would be better. I know of people who travel to NH to buy Harleys from a specific dealer who gives a huge discount. When I shopped my Wrangler I was put of by one dealer here locally(Torrington CT). We nicknamed the salesperson "skinny jeans". This dealer swore up and down that Wranglers NEVER get discounted. They do. I bought one. Discounted. 10%.

vitaminC

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk
Holy crap! I know everything in Cali is expensive, but this is a little crazy. Maybe travelling to a different area/ state would be better. I know of people who travel to NH to buy Harleys from a specific dealer who gives a huge discount.
Doesn’t matter where you buy it- if you’re a CA resident you will pay state sales tax on it when (if) you register it here.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I found a 2020 Rubicon Ocean Blue with the following options:

Cold weather group
Trailer tow and electric
LED lighting
8.4 radio and premium audio
Safety group
Steel bumper group
8 speed auto (850RE)
Remote proximity keyless entry
Black 3 piece hard top
Body color fenders

Invoice: $54,603.00

MSRP: $57,935.00
Dealer discount: $4,732.00
Tax: $5,462.02
License and fees: $666.75

Total: $59,416.77
Those are some really nice options.

Take a good look at that final number that you posted. Know that that number is just the beginning of what you’re going to spend on the Wrangler. It doesn’t matter where you get your Wrangler from or how you get your Wrangler, you’re going to spend that much to have one.

If you want to support your local dealership, consider that the best pricing you’re going to get by staying local. Because people in your area pay the price that the dealership proposed to you.

There will always be dealers who will sell for less but in your case, it’ll require you to spend out of pocket. And while you may get the Jeep for less from them, you’re going to end up being back at that number (or close enough) that the dealer proposed to you. One way or another.

It is inevitable. Owning a Wrangler is fun and rewarding but it’s also a commitment and you’re going to spend money on it.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
This dealer swore up and down that Wranglers NEVER get discounted.
that what happen to one dealer by me. so i got up and left. they continued to tell me that i'll be back because i'll never will find a better deal. i told them i'll drive 4 hours out of my way and sign a better deal so dont wait for me.

Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Is this something you are interested in buying? Only the person setting in the chair about to sign papers will know what the real final price is, but judging from online reviews I'll suggest that $7,500 off of MSRP is not the final price. I found this online "they tried to add a $2500 penalty. They don't honor the advertised price. Very scandalous." There were other reviews that mentioned $5000 of add-ons.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Is this something you are interested in buying? Only the person setting in the chair about to sign papers will know what the real final price is, but judging from online reviews I'll suggest that $7,500 off of MSRP is not the final price. I found this online "they tried to add a $2500 penalty. They don't honor the advertised price. Very scandalous." There were other reviews that mentioned $5000 of add-ons.
Where were the reviews you speak of? I see they have a 4.6 of 5 with nearly 2800 reviews. I have been told that Huntington Beach Jeep plays those games.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I drove over 120 miles one-way from Diamond Bar to La Mesa to get my Jeep. Carl Burger (near San Diego) gave me a better deal than what I was expecting, seriously. They actually gave me the price on the website, and to do that, they discounted it to reflect factory incentives for which I did not qualify, e.g. first-responder. Mind you, this was in the middle of quarantine, so maybe they really needed a sale.

But you know, no one pays the same price for a vehicle (except at CarMax and for bicycles at Wal-Mart)...and that's what bothers me a little about giving out too much personal information, it opens up the possibility that prices for everything will become personalized. I remember once when I was browsing the menu online at Taco Bell, and as soon as I logged in, all the combo prices went up by a dollar. Swear ta gawd. I was like, "Wait...does Taco Bell just know I'm willing to pay more, because of how often I eat there? Am I their b!tch? I am their b!tch. And I'm hungry. F them, I'm going to Del Taco."

Last edited:

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Where were the reviews you speak of? I see they have a 4.6 of 5 with nearly 2800 reviews. I have been told that Huntington Beach Jeep plays those games.
The ones I quoted were on yelp. You can also find reviews on google. I'm not sure if the reviews on cars.com are completely representative since that site is financed by dealers, and the reviews on the dealers on websites will certainly be one-sided.
Sponsored