Sponsored

First-Time Jeep Buyer, Out of State Dealer charges?

nkhaira

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLS55 AMG
Hello!

I am about to close the deal on my first ever Jeep Wrangler, a JL Sahara with a sticker of $46,595 which through thorough research of all the threads available on here I am able to pick it up at 3% below invoice of $44,070.

My issue is I am hoping the dealer is not trying to get extra money from me due to them losing their holdback I assume on the vehicle, due to me being an out of state purchaser (I live in PA, buying from CT). Going this far since this is the one I found with the right options I wanted

Final Sales Price: $42,715
+ PA Sales Tax: $2,584
+ Doc Fee: $499 Kinda high but I seen some similar figures around the forums
+ Title Fees for PA $185 (I thought this would be lower as well was sort of confused?)
+ The Third-Party program the dealership uses to assist out of state buyers to do the out of state paperwork, an additional $285? (I realize in the grand scheme of things $285 is not the end of the world but I feel like this charge is purely for the dealership to make money they are losing on the deal?

Total walk out price $46,249.90

Can anyone give me any suggestions/recommendations?
Or possibly any insight, ways I could go about talking to the dealership about this?

Thank you very much and I appreciate everyone's help!
Sponsored

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Hello!

I am about to close the deal on my first ever Jeep Wrangler, a JL Sahara with a sticker of $46,595 which through thorough research of all the threads available on here I am able to pick it up at 3% below invoice of $44,070.

My issue is I am hoping the dealer is not trying to get extra money from me due to them losing their holdback I assume on the vehicle, due to me being an out of state purchaser (I live in PA, buying from CT). Going this far since this is the one I found with the right options I wanted

Final Sales Price: $42,715
+ PA Sales Tax: $2,584
+ Doc Fee: $499 Kinda high but I seen some similar figures around the forums
+ Title Fees for PA $185 (I thought this would be lower as well was sort of confused?)
+ The Third-Party program the dealership uses to assist out of state buyers to do the out of state paperwork, an additional $285? (I realize in the grand scheme of things $285 is not the end of the world but I feel like this charge is purely for the dealership to make money they are losing on the deal?

Total walk out price $46,249.90

Can anyone give me any suggestions/recommendations?
Or possibly any insight, ways I could go about talking to the dealership about this?

Thank you very much and I appreciate everyone's help!
Where I live Tax, Title, Tag are all done when I go register the vehicle in my state. So, if I were to buy a vehicle out of state I would under no circumstances pay the dealer anything other than the negotiated price for the vehicle (including FCA destination charge) plus their doc fee. Check your state laws on that. Don’t get into a situation where you’re paying that twice and struggling to get your money back from the CT dealer.

That doc fee seems excessive as well but every state/area is different. I think mine is $130 but I’ve seen other ppl post here some that were $600.

Also, tons of ppl are getting 6% or more off invoice so keep that in mind as well. Look at other threads here and you’ll see a list of dealers doing that.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Is sales tax cheaper in PA...not sure so js T asking.

I’m military so bought local and had my dealer register it for me in my home state. They handled all the paperwork and charged $285 just to make sure all costs were covered. When my tags came it I also got a refund check since they overestimated the charge. Paperwork for registration takes the same amount of work regardless of in state or out of state. It just depends if the dealers title dept wants to deal with the hassle of completing paperwork from another state. I wouldn’t let them charge you anymore than exact costs...actually I’m not sure they are allowed to charge you more. This is why they charge a doc fee...to cover all those paperwork expenses that should already be taken care of through their profit margins but they charge it anyway.

As an example I was charged a prep pkg fee that covered getting the Jeep ready...basically they charged me to PDI it. I got some wheel locks included, but still thought the fee was stupid. Didn’t want to negotiate another deal with a different dealer so just went with it.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
I suppose you must have it now and that's why you plan on traveling to CT for a jeep in stock. If not There's a dealer in PA doing better deals and i suppose you'll save on doc fee and out of state paperwork assistance you mentioned (which is a BS charge)!

OP
OP

nkhaira

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLS55 AMG
I suppose you must have it now and that's why you plan on traveling to CT for a jeep in stock. If not There's a dealer in PA doing better deals and i suppose you'll save on doc fee and out of state paperwork assistance you mentioned (which is a BS charge)!
Can you let me know what dealer it is in PA doing those deals?
Thank You

The additional 285 for the third party out of state paperwork does seem like a BS charge

Sponsored

OP
OP

nkhaira

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLS55 AMG
Is sales tax cheaper in PA...not sure so js T asking.

I’m military so bought local and had my dealer register it for me in my home state. They handled all the paperwork and charged $285 just to make sure all costs were covered. When my tags came it I also got a refund check since they overestimated the charge. Paperwork for registration takes the same amount of work regardless of in state or out of state. It just depends if the dealers title dept wants to deal with the hassle of completing paperwork from another state. I wouldn’t let them charge you anymore than exact costs...actually I’m not sure they are allowed to charge you more. This is why they charge a doc fee...to cover all those paperwork expenses that should already be taken care of through their profit margins but they charge it anyway.

As an example I was charged a prep pkg fee that covered getting the Jeep ready...basically they charged me to PDI it. I got some wheel locks included, but still thought the fee was stupid. Didn’t want to negotiate another deal with a different dealer so just went with it.
Tax here is 6%

So they charged $285 for a Doc Fee and that's it? that is not bad I think I am going to try and negotiate that charge out, doesn't seem right

OP
OP

nkhaira

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLS55 AMG
Where I live Tax, Title, Tag are all done when I go register the vehicle in my state. So, if I were to buy a vehicle out of state I would under no circumstances pay the dealer anything other than the negotiated price for the vehicle (including FCA destination charge) plus their doc fee. Check your state laws on that. Don’t get into a situation where you’re paying that twice and struggling to get your money back from the CT dealer.

That doc fee seems excessive as well but every state/area is different. I think mine is $130 but I’ve seen other ppl post here some that were $600.

Also, tons of ppl are getting 6% or more off invoice so keep that in mind as well. Look at other threads here and you’ll see a list of dealers doing that.
I did see Koons was doing 5% on vehicles you order online or ones they have on their lot, they are willing to do 3.5% on vehicle's on other lots but the issue is I can't seem to find one that has the perfect options as this CT one has. I will also mention the possibility of me registering and paying my taxes in PA then, thank you!

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you let me know what dealer it is in PA doing those deals?
Thank You

The additional 285 for the third party out of state paperwork does seem like a BS charge

Koons didn't make sense to me, there's a closer dealer to me in MD which did 6% under invoice for lot and orders with $300 doc. Koons would have been $650 overall more in my case. But they are a reputable dealer on here and are recommended.

6% under invoice and no doc fee is best deal i've seen in tristate.
Heres the PA dealer someone posted:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/recommended-dealers-list.1227/page-47#post-264000

OP
OP

nkhaira

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLS55 AMG
Koons didn't make sense to me, there's a closer dealer to me in MD which did 6% under invoice for lot and orders with $300 doc. Koons would have been $650 overall more in my case. But they are a reputable dealer on here and are recommended.

6% under invoice and no doc fee is best deal i've seen in tristate.
Heres the PA dealer someone posted:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/recommended-dealers-list.1227/page-47#post-264000
Thank you, would you be able to tell me what Maryland dealer that did 6% under invoice? That sounds good to me.
I called the manager at that PA dealer and he claimed no way he would go below invoice but I am going to also talk to the woman that sold it to that customer.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, would you be able to tell me what Maryland dealer that did 6% under invoice? That sounds good to me.
I called the manager at that PA dealer and he claimed no way he would go below invoice but I am going to also talk to the woman that sold it to that customer.
Replied to your PM.
Sponsored