First Time Jeep Buyer - I don’t know what I’m doing

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I don't HAVE to lease I just really don't want a car for a long period of time. If I could rent one for a few months without it being astronomically expensive, I would. The monthly payments also seem lower if I lease.
with Wrangler you won't see much depreciation and that will allow you too get new wheels much easier with favourable trade in , imagine you would always buy one of the least depreciating vehicles on the market and then you would surely ended buying Wranglers till your last Wrangler which actually may be a real breathing horse , that's at least my plan , anyways you came to the right place here Melfour and you will make surely the right decision
Sponsored

eslincito

First Name
Eslin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Hello everyone! I’ve been researching and getting prices on leasing a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S hard top. I’ve purchased a vehicle but I’ve never leased before. I also just don’t understand why dealing with car dealerships has to be such an awful experience.

I’m currently looking at a sarge green one (Manual) with MSRP of 35,670 and they lowered the price to 34,500. He’s saying that’s a deal with the high demand right now but again, not sure if I’m just being sold a bunch lines.

Is that a good deal? If not, what price should I be negotiating for?

Did I mention how much I hate this process? ... haha

This is the one I'm looking at if it helps: https://www.deaconschrysler.com/veh...r-sport-s-4x4-mayfield-village-oh-id-36824491

Thanks so much!
Please, Please, Please go to Leasehackr forum and learn a little bit about leasing before doing it. I just read the first 6 comments here and to be honest most of these people are completely lost and don’t know what they are talking about.

Someone said that lease is based on MSRP (very wrong). Leasing is not as simple as purchasing but once you get the hang of it is not that complicated.

my advice is to first see how many miles you drive. If you drive in between 10k to 15k per year then you are good for leasing. Go into this forum and find the list of dealers that are actually giving discounts like 5 to 7percent below invoice.

after you find the right dealer then you can request money factor wish can be negotiated if the dealer inflates the rate and then you can also request the Residual Value which is set by the manufacturer and cannot be negotiated( it is what it is) what I think people get it confused with the Jeep is that this car can be leased through different institutions like Ally Back, Chrysler capital or US BANK. All of the instructions mentioned above have different Residual Value and money factor. Just read about leasing and you will understand better. You should definitely go to Leasehackr forum if you want to learn about leasing.

To give you an example.Where I live locally dealers were quoting me payment of $550 a month + tax for an Unlimited Wrangler Willys. Off course dealer was inflating the MF to almost 7% crazy and was not giving any discount just full MSRP. I found a great dealer through this forum and got 7% below invoice with a great MF. Payment was reduce about $200 from my other quotes.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Hahaha... how do I do that?? I just want to know if $34,500 is a reasonable price. The more research I do, it seems to be an okay deal. There's also only like 4 other Sport S hard top manuals within a 500 mile radius of me.

Mel4, That is not a reasonable price...I hate to say it but it sounds like the salesman 'thinks here is a girl that will pay pretty much what we ask and won't push back'. You could absolutely order a 2021 with a larger discount, and again as many have said, leasing from a dealer is not a good idea. Buying is almost always the preferred option but if you are set on leasing, you should look into a third party leasing / buying service that some credit unions offer, also USSA has a buying service if you or a family member is a veteran and there is always Costco. While a skilled negotiator can typically get a better deal than any of the buying services, at least you will know you got a fair deal and were not taken advantage of. Good luck whichever route you go and enjoy your Jeep once you get one home!

HellaYellaSoFl

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Ultimate Sport S
I'm getting a leased 2020 JLH early next week (my leased BMW goes back next Saturday, I've leased BMWs for 15 years)

The three things you are negotiating on with the dealer are: purchase price (% off sticker), money factor increase, and dealer fees. Other things rolled in are origination fee (I think $495 for FCA) and state fees like taxes, title, license.

The other figure you need is residual, the amount (percentage) of depreciation that accounts for the majority of what you are paying.

leasehackr is the best place for info, but like here don't believe everything you read and keep in mind you never get all the info.

Residuals and money factor changes monthly and are sometimes regional. MF is usually across the board but residual is trim and option based. Residual is primarily based on number of payments (36 is the most common, tho 39, 42 and even 24 is possible) and the number of miles (10,000, 12,000, 15,000).

I shopped hard and heavy last week and found that while dealers primarily use Chrysler Financial they might use Ally or another fiance company which throws off some of the "truths" out there.

You are lucky to get close to invoice with most dealers, the ones mentioned on this site will get you 5-8% below invoice if you have the tread lightly discount especially if you order.

Right now residuals are high for Sport/SportS(69%), lower for Sahara/Rubicon (66%) and super high for Willys (76%). I was told in a couple places that manual transmissions drops residual by 2%.

I also found that Willys, manual transmissions and manual transmission Willys especially are in high demand and don't see as much in the way of discounts unless your are ordering.

Advice:
Get what you want. compromising sucks.
Pay taxes title, license, fees up front but no cap cost reduction.
don't get any dealer/factory upgrades (you will pay full price for them, not just the depreciation)
If you don't use Chrysler Financial get Gap insurance.

I'm getting a Sport S, 69% residual, 7% under invoice, 10.2% under MSRP, .00204/4.9% money factor, $1000 dealer fee, free delivery (they're 3 hours away).

Also, if this is your first lease read the contract, know how much extra miles (exceeding your annual) will cost, how much the turn in will cost (I forget what they call it (disposition fee?) but you pay like $350 at the end) and what kind of wear and tear is allowed.

Almost forgot. Residual is huge. If you order a 2021 and the residual is 56% when you pick it up, your lease might be $150+/mo higher than expected. MF also changes monthly but the base rate is usually pretty stable. When ordering negotiate the dealer fees and markup over the base MF along with purchase price.

Last edited:

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I'm getting a leased 2020 JLH early next week (my leased BMW goes back next Saturday, I've leased BMWs for 15 years)

The three things you are negotiating on with the dealer are: purchase price (% off sticker), money factor increase, and dealer fees. Other things rolled in are origination fee (I think $495 for FCA) and state fees like taxes, title, license.

The other figure you need is residual, the amount (percentage) of depreciation that accounts for the majority of what you are paying.

leasehackr is the best place for info, but like here don't believe everything you read and keep in mind you never get all the info.

Residuals and money factor changes monthly and are sometimes regional. MF is usually across the board but residual is trim and option based. Residual is primarily based on number of payments (36 is the most common, tho 39, 42 and even 24 is possible) and the number of miles (10,000, 12,000, 15,000).

I shopped hard and heavy last week and found that while dealers primarily use Chrysler Financial they might use Ally or another fiance company which throws off some of the "truths" out there.

You are lucky to get close to invoice with most dealers, the ones mentioned on this site will get you 5-8% below invoice if you have the tread lightly discount especially if you order.

Right now residuals are high for Sport/SportS(69%), lower for Sahara/Rubicon (66%) and super high for Willys (76%). I was told in a couple places that manual transmissions drops residual by 2%.

I also found that Willys, manual transmissions and manual transmission Willys especially are in high demand and don't see as much in the way of discounts unless your are ordering.

Advice:
Get what you want. compromising sucks.
Pay taxes title, license, fees up front but no cap cost reduction.
don't get any dealer/factory upgrades (you will pay full price for them, not just the depreciation)
If you don't use Chrysler Financial get Gap insurance.

I'm getting a Sport S, 69% residual, 7% under invoice, 10.2% under MSRP, .00204/4.9% money factor, $1000 dealer fee, free delivery (they're 3 hours away).

Also, if this is your first lease read the contract, know how much extra miles (exceeding your annual) will cost, how much the turn in will cost (I forget what they call it (disposition fee?) but you pay like $350 at the end) and what kind of wear and tear is allowed.

Almost forgot. Residual is huge. If you order a 2021 and the residual is 56% when you pick it up, your lease might be $150+/mo higher than expected. MF also changes monthly but the base rate is usually pretty stable. When ordering negotiate the dealer fees and markup over the base MF along with purchase price.
Paying a $1,000 dealer fee? If your residual is greater, it would reduce your payment, not increase it.

and yes, you can negotiate the residual Percentage.

Sponsored

HellaYellaSoFl

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Ultimate Sport S
Paying a $1,000 dealer fee? If your residual is greater, it would reduce your payment, not increase it.

and yes, you can negotiate the residual Percentage.

>Right now residuals are high for Sport/SportS(69%), lower for Sahara/Rubicon (66%) and super high for Willys (76%).

>If you order a 2021 and the residual is 56% when you pick it up, your lease might be $150+/mo higher than expected.

A 56% residual when you were expecting 76% would mean you will be paying a lot more per month.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
>Right now residuals are high for Sport/SportS(69%), lower for Sahara/Rubicon (66%) and super high for Willys (76%).

>If you order a 2021 and the residual is 56% when you pick it up, your lease might be $150+/mo higher than expected.

A 56% residual when you were expecting 76% would mean you will be paying a lot more per month.
Last time i cut a lease, it didn’t change upon delivery. And yes, you can negotiate the residual.

One things for sure, leasing is confusing and as i stated, a “Blackhole” if you dont’ see every detail spelled out.

The dealer fee of $1,000? Come on!

eslincito

First Name
Eslin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Last time i cut a lease, it didn’t change upon delivery. And yes, you can negotiate the residual.

One things for sure, leasing is confusing and as i stated, a “Blackhole” if you dont’ see every detail spelled out.

The dealer fee of $1,000? Come on!
Dealer fee of $1000 is kind of normal if you live in Florida.

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m currently looking at a sarge green one (Manual) with MSRP of 35,670 and they lowered the price to 34,500. He’s saying that’s a deal with the high demand right now but again, not sure if I’m just being sold a bunch lines.
First, you had me a Manual.

Second, you'd think we all work off commission on your savings in this thread. Relax everyone; I'm responding too and am poking fun at myself as well. I hereby claim my rightful percentage to any savings had in this!

Third and on a serious note, doing a quick search along the information super highway, I noticed your particular Sarge Jeep was listed on other car sites, which is common for dealers to do. The nice thing about that is you get to see how long the dealership has posted it (to that site at least). Based on CarGurus.com, it's been posted for 47 days and interestingly started at $34,095 when first posted.

They raised the price by $1,575 on Aug 3rd. Not much has changed since beginning of July so I'm thinking this is the classic "let's raise the price and discount it to the original" tactic. If not, then perhaps Jeep will be the new gold standard or perhaps they received this years crop report ahead of the market. **kudos to anyone getting the latter bit**

Whether you go with leasing or financing (I've done both for past vehicles and they each have +/-), you may want to start here on price. Not only can they do better than $34,500, but they themselves already did 47 days ago.

If you choose to continue the negotiations, you may want to remind them that it's the sale in front of them that gets them paid today, not the sale next month.

Jeep Wrangler JL First Time Jeep Buyer - I don’t know what I’m doing 1597638553047

Sponsored

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
I don't HAVE to lease
Hello everyone! I’ve been researching and getting prices on leasing a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S hard top. I’ve purchased a vehicle but I’ve never leased before. I also just don’t understand why dealing with car dealerships has to be such an awful experience.

This is the one I'm looking at if it helps: https://www.deaconschrysler.com/veh...r-sport-s-4x4-mayfield-village-oh-id-36824491

Thanks so much!
That is not much of discount. In Phoenix, many Wranglers, including Rubicons, are getting 10% discounts up front, without asking. I got that and negotiated a little more on a Rubicon. There is less wiggle room with your model but I would seek more opinions. Also, even though my name is Six Speed, I just gave up the manual on the new Rubicon. You may be a star but I can’t shift as fast or smooth on my new 5,000 pound beastie as an automatic transmission, especially going into the mountains and back. Sarge is a great color. I couldn’t get it.

TPAJETSKI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Corvette
Hahaha... how do I do that?? I just want to know if $34,500 is a reasonable price. The more research I do, it seems to be an okay deal. There's also only like 4 other Sport S hard top manuals within a 500 mile radius of me.
Not that it is apples to apples, but we got our sport s equipped the same (minus the hardtop and the green) and with taxes, dealer fee, tag, we made it out the door for 33,200. We could not find a white or silver sport s hardtop with manual within 500 miles of tampa, florida.

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback

Wow those are high residual values... is this for 3 yrs? I assume it fluctuates geographically. What is residual value In Cleveland?. Anyhow yes melanie tht price they gave u is ridiculous only bc 21’s are on the way. They asking top price for a leftover. Tell them to scram

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic

Thanks so much!
I've leased 31 vehicles in my life and never ever had an issue with returns, upgrades, mileage over, trade ins, anything. I almost always trade in 36 month leases at 24 months and still never got burned. The price on the sport in my opinion is above average. I think a minimum of 3000 off sticker is adequate. Nothing less. Some dealers you could expect 4000+ in my opinion. Honestly, go to the dealer with a man who knows the car business. I don't care how politically incorrect this sounds, it will always be this way, genetics and egos will always play a role. Car dealers are a tough group and if you're a woman going alone who clearly hates this experience as many many people do, you will have a harder time. Dealer salespeople pray on people that don't go in "fighting" for a good deal. My JL was perhaps the toughest negotiating car dealer experience I've ever had. 3 hours. It went from 55,000 to 46,500 over that period. You just have to keep pushing, making jokes, getting annoyed, acting like they might not be the best dealer, threaten to go elsewhere, then talk about their kids, wives, music, back to pulling teeth. It sucks, but once it's over, you have a deal and it feels great. Even when I went back to pick up my Wrangler 5 weeks later after the order, they still tried to mess around with the monthly payment, other charges, other options, things left out, mileage allowances. Etc. etc. Always do 15K miles in my opinion. Then always buy the bumper to bumper warranty gap insurance from the 3 year 36K mileage to 45K mileage gap or you could end up without a full warranty before the lease is up. I wish you all the luck in the world. Bring a guy with you, it will save you thousands. Sorry, it's life, unless you know a really really forward aggressive woman who can make them sweat, kind of like my EX wife did. Then again, she ended up marrying a woman after me so lets just say it takes all kinds. God Bless and enjoy your new Jeep!!!!!. You'll have a blast.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I've leased 31 vehicles in my life and never ever had an issue with returns, upgrades, mileage over, trade ins, anything. I almost always trade in 36 month leases at 24 months and still never got burned. The price on the sport in my opinion is above average. I think a minimum of 3000 off sticker is adequate. Nothing less. Some dealers you could expect 4000+ in my opinion. Honestly, go to the dealer with a man who knows the car business. I don't care how politically incorrect this sounds, it will always be this way, genetics and egos will always play a role. Car dealers are a tough group and if you're a woman going alone who clearly hates this experience as many many people do, you will have a harder time. Dealer salespeople pray on people that don't go in "fighting" for a good deal. My JL was perhaps the toughest negotiating car dealer experience I've ever had. 3 hours. It went from 55,000 to 46,500 over that period. You just have to keep pushing, making jokes, getting annoyed, acting like they might not be the best dealer, threaten to go elsewhere, then talk about their kids, wives, music, back to pulling teeth. It sucks, but once it's over, you have a deal and it feels great. Even when I went back to pick up my Wrangler 5 weeks later after the order, they still tried to mess around with the monthly payment, other charges, other options, things left out, mileage allowances. Etc. etc. Always do 15K miles in my opinion. Then always buy the bumper to bumper warranty gap insurance from the 3 year 36K mileage to 45K mileage gap or you could end up without a full warranty before the lease is up. I wish you all the luck in the world. Bring a guy with you, it will save you thousands. Sorry, it's life, unless you know a really really forward aggressive woman who can make them sweat, kind of like my EX wife did. Then again, she ended up marrying a woman after me so lets just say it takes all kinds. God Bless and enjoy your new Jeep!!!!!. You'll have a blast.
31... That is a lot. I'm on 7. I think. And three of them are in the garage. More would be but the garage isn't big enough. I've never had that experience buying a vehicle. It sounds terrible. I make one, fair, offer. If the dealer doesn't want to do business, I thank them for their time, leave and go to another dealer. I understand risk and probability so I never buy extended warranties and self insure where the risk is reasonable and capped.

I think a sales person at a dealership may see a woman and assume she is an easy mark but if that woman comes armed with information and is willing to walk she'll get the same deal as any other well informed consumer, man or woman, in the end
Sponsored