First Time Jeep Buyer - I don’t know what I’m doing

Mel4

First Name
Melanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Hello everyone! I’ve been researching and getting prices on leasing a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S hard top. I’ve purchased a vehicle but I’ve never leased before. I also just don’t understand why dealing with car dealerships has to be such an awful experience.

I’m currently looking at a sarge green one (Manual) with MSRP of 35,670 and they lowered the price to 34,500. He’s saying that’s a deal with the high demand right now but again, not sure if I’m just being sold a bunch lines.

Is that a good deal? If not, what price should I be negotiating for?

Did I mention how much I hate this process? ... haha

This is the one I'm looking at if it helps: https://www.deaconschrysler.com/veh...r-sport-s-4x4-mayfield-village-oh-id-36824491

Thanks so much!
Sponsored

Last edited:

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Hello everyone! I’ve been researching and getting prices on leasing a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S hard top. I’ve purchased a vehicle but I’ve never leased before. I also just don’t understand why dealing with car dealerships has to be such an awful experience.

I’m currently looking at a sarge green one (Manual) with MSRP of 35,670 and they lowered the price to 34,500. He’s saying that’s a deal with the high demand right now but again, not sure if I’m just being sold a bunch lines.

Thanks so much!
This is where the excitement grows! Wait until you see all of the advice you're about to receive.

You'll wonder how so many are experts but can't agree on anything.

Good luck!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If that is just the price with no fees, etc. then it is high for a model year that is one year old. Look at the 2020 order guide elsewhere in this section of the forum and look at the FWP column of the model and options to see a general idea of the most you should pay.

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S, Bright White, Freedom Pkg
Just terminating a lease my son had on his car today. Make sure you understand the limitations of the lease. If you go over the mileage allowance (you can negotiate yearly mileage) you can get hit with a lot of extra cost at the end. They will also most likely frown on upgrades. Leasing has its' pros and cons, just understand them all.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant

Thanks so much!
Several things you need to know:

Leasing is a "black hole" and you can't work your way back from a payment to figure out the variables that it was calculated from. Purchasing with a loan is simple amortization, just like buying a house.

Never, and I mean never tell them what you want your monthly payment to be. They will make sure you will pay that or a little more even though the actual calculation could have been less.
You need to tell them to work the deal and then you'll determine if it makes sense.

You need to have them state the "money factor". That is different than interest rate. Some don't like answering that question, some sales person don't know what the hell it is. This is the easiest number to manipulate to cloud the payment total.

Remember, leasing is nothing more than paying interest on depreciation. You can also negotiate the residual, most folks don't know this. Understand the residual amount and percent to the MSRP.

Pay attention to the mileage costs and limits. You can purchase more miles up front at a reduced rate than paying mileage penalties at the end of the lease.

Make sure you understand the lease termination and surrender rules. I've seen plenty of people get dinged because of scratches, rock chips, tires that have little tread left, cracks, etc.
This is where it doesn't make sense to lease a wrangler if you're thinking about mudding, rock crawling, etc. as these actions will drive perceived damage from the dealer.

You are driving their car, it's never yours.

Just breathe slowly, absorb the information and compare pricing through the internet and several dealers if possible. Don't let the finance guy intimidate you, he's known as the best salesman at a dealership!!! Upselling crap you don't want or need, window etching, etc. you should pass on. If they are sleazy, they may tell you they require it because you're only leasing it, it's still not your car. If they say that, time to leave.

Make sure you talk with your insurance company to see what the rules are for leasing in your state and what differences if any.

If you don't need to lease, don't. You pay a lot of money and never own anything. (Kind of like renting vs owning a house.)

Good luck,
Charlie

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Several things you need to know:

Leasing is a "black hole" and you can't work your way back from a payment to figure out the variables that it was calculated from. Purchasing with a loan is simple amortization, just like buying a house.

Never, and I mean never tell them what you want your monthly payment to be. They will make sure you will pay that or a little more even though the actual calculation could have been less.
You need to tell them to work the deal and then you'll determine if it makes sense.

You need to have them state the "money factor". That is different than interest rate. Some don't like answering that question, some sales person don't know what the hell it is. This is the easiest number to manipulate to cloud the payment total.

Remember, leasing is nothing more than paying interest on depreciation. You can also negotiate the residual, most folks don't know this. Understand the residual amount and percent to the MSRP.

Pay attention to the mileage costs and limits. You can purchase more miles up front at a reduced rate than paying mileage penalties at the end of the lease.

Make sure you understand the lease termination and surrender rules. I've seen plenty of people get dinged because of scratches, rock chips, tires that have little tread left, cracks, etc.
This is where it doesn't make sense to lease a wrangler if you're thinking about mudding, rock crawling, etc. as these actions will drive perceived damage from the dealer.

You are driving their car, it's never yours.

Just breathe slowly, absorb the information and compare pricing through the internet and several dealers if possible. Don't let the finance guy intimidate you, he's known as the best salesman at a dealership!!! Upselling crap you don't want or need, window etching, etc. you should pass on. If they are sleazy, they may tell you they require it because you're only leasing it, it's still not your car. If they say that, time to leave.

Make sure you talk with your insurance company to see what the rules are for leasing in your state and what differences if any.

If you don't need to lease, don't. You pay a lot of money and never own anything. (Kind of like renting vs owning a house.)

Good luck,
Charlie
The TL;DR is: don’t lease.

OP
OP
Mel4

Mel4

First Name
Melanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
If that is just the price with no fees, etc. then it is high for a model year that is one year old. Look at the 2020 order guide elsewhere in this section of the forum and look at the FWP column of the model and options to see a general idea of the most you should pay.
If you dont have to lease, dont.
Solid advice.
I don't HAVE to lease I just really don't want a car for a long period of time. If I could rent one for a few months without it being astronomically expensive, I would. The monthly payments also seem lower if I lease.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Leasing can be ok, depends on the deal versus financing the car. First, make sure this isn't something you may want to keep after the lease. It's pretty rare that purchase price at the end of a lease is in your interest. Second, if you think there is any possibility you will need to bail on the lease, don't. You'll get absolutely hosed terminating it early or you'll be trying to find someone else to take it on. Last, you probably don't want to modify the vehicle much after, because all that stuff has to come off before it goes back unless you can convince the dealer to buy it as-is at the end.

I don't know what Jeep is doing right now with leasing deals, but some manufacturers put a lot of their incentives on leases rather than cash back (generally the Germans). So, you can get a deal. I've never seen a domestic lease package that I felt worked in my favor, but I did lease a couple of German cars in the past.

#1 If you can't afford to finance it outright, reconsider leasing. The fees at turn-in can get expensive if you are over mileage or there is damage. Make sure you have some financial cushion.
#2 Minimize the amount of money you put down with a lease, depends a lot on the financing company but there will be some fees that have to be paid upfront.
#3 Negotiate the payment on a lease, not the price. Don't tell them what you want to pay.
#4 Know how long you want the car and how many miles when you hit the dealer. Get those miles right, because it will burn if you go over.
#5 Make sure you know how much it is going to cost to return the car. There's usually a fee.
#6 Maintain the thing and keep your records/receipts, the inspector at the end may ask to see them.

And most important, shop around and be flexible. We checked all the dealers within 200 miles before we bought ours. If they think they've got your hooked, they aren't going to be very flexible. That financing income is a big deal to the front end at the dealer.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
If I’m not mistaken the lease is always based on the MSRP NOT any negotiated price. You are renting the vehicle for the amount it depreciates while you have it. Important numbers are the annual mileage allowance, MSRP, residual value, and I think they call it the money factor (interest rate for a lease), and ultimately the monthly payment. A good salesperson can explain it all or grab a finance person who can.

OP
OP
Mel4

Mel4

First Name
Melanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
What advices you want to get here? Based on a late poll on this forum, every member is a badass millionaire retired at 35 years and pay cash.
Hahaha... how do I do that?? I just want to know if $34,500 is a reasonable price. The more research I do, it seems to be an okay deal. There's also only like 4 other Sport S hard top manuals within a 500 mile radius of me.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

This is the one I'm looking at if it helps: https://www.deaconschrysler.com/veh...r-sport-s-4x4-mayfield-village-oh-id-36824491

Thanks so much!
Hi Melanie:

I suspect much about this Wrangler world and this forum is new to you....and that's perfectly okay.

We were all once new.

Here's what I think you should do. It expands on Mike's solid advice @nerubi .

1) Go here: this is the latest pricing from FCA on 2020 2 doors:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2020-jeep-wrangler-jl-order-guide-2-door.32991/

2) Click either of the April 2020 links, which will take you here, (which you can click if you prefer):

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/2-door-4-17-20-pdf.312615/

3) Go to page 2 of the PDF that (should) appear on the screen. This is the section of the ordering guide that deals with Sport models, including the "S" that the 2 door which you linked is. From this point on look at the column marked (as Mike said) FWP or factory wholesale price, also known as "Invoice." This is what a dealer pays FCA for that rig. Yours is $27,796. See that?

Now, there are some caveats here regarding what a dealer pays. You see, FCA offers discounts to dealers who buy lots of inventory. Some of these dealers, like Koons in Vienna, VA offer some of that discount back to customers who factory order their Wranglers. This guy recently claims 8% off FWP:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/just-put-in-a-2021-rubicon-order.56542/

So it won't apply either to leases or inventory on the lot.

4) I don't care what the dealer says the vehicle has on it if FCA (the maker) says otherwise. That said, since the VIN from your link is 1C4GJXAGXLW345568. go here:
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C4GJXAGXLW345568

and make sure the dealer isn't promising that the vehicle has more on it than FCA says it has.

5) Finally, on page 4 and 5 of the ordering guide add to the base cost the FWP amount for each feature the vehicle has. Now, take 8% off that total, as that's what our friend above recently reported getting. That's what Koons will likely sell it to you at if you're willing to wait for a factory order.

~~~~~

Now Melanie, you may not want to wait for a factory order (weeks to months). You may not want to buy. You may not want to travel to Virginia, although Koons makes it easy and people have bought from them from places much further than your Ohio distance to them.

Some even have the vehcile shipped to them.

Others fly or take Amtrack (if you need to know how to use DC mass transit them private message me.)

You may not want to deal with Koons, although almost everyone who does loves them. There are other dealers who price off of FWP. But use that figure you get as a comparison.

One good thing additionally about a factory orders; you don't do without features you wanted or pay for those you never would have opted for.

Good luck
Sponsored