First time in sand. Silver Lake dunes MI

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Well I will be headed that way Thursday, have never been out on the dunes in a Jeep and never at SLSD, so it will be a new experience. If I get stuck, I will let you know how it goes. LoL, anyone else heading up there?
Yes, please let me know what happens!!!

I'm heading out there next week. Like you, I've never been out on the dunes (or any dune), so it will be something new for me too.

I don't have FB but I heard there's been a lot of drama going on with parking passes, people talking about those that have rentals, and posting on FB asking for help.
Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, please let me know what happens!!!

I'm heading out there next week. Like you, I've never been out on the dunes (or any dune), so it will be something new for me too.

I don't have FB but I heard there's been a lot of drama going on with parking passes, people talking about those that have rentals, and posting on FB asking for help.
Ahh I don't have Facebook or any other Social media stuff, so I have no idea about what is going on. I am heading up there Thursday and didn't plan anything so I am currently looking for a hotel somewhere up there.

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Stupid question, what's the protocol if you do get stuck? Just hook your recovery rope up and wait until somebody drives by and asks if you need a tug?
Pretty much my experience.

Sponsored

Soliex

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 3.6
As someone who lives in West Michigan and recently purchased my first Jeep, I REALLY want to go to Silver Lake Sand Dunes sometime this summer. I also dont have any experience driving on sand. Is there a recommended guide that I can read/watch or any pro tips to ensure I have a fun and safe time?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
As someone who lives in West Michigan and recently purchased my first Jeep, I REALLY want to go to Silver Lake Sand Dunes sometime this summer. I also dont have any experience driving on sand. Is there a recommended guide that I can read/watch or any pro tips to ensure I have a fun and safe time?
I'm right there with you too. I've never drove on sand before either, but this is what I've come up with.

- Don't feel the need to do test hill. You may get stuck on the top or flip.
- Run at 15psi minimum. Maybe even 8 or 9psi.
- Stay in 4H.
- Turn off traction control and ESC.
- Use manual mode and stay in gears 1 to 3.
- Bring a kinetic rope with because there's a good chance you'll get stuck. Make sure you have recovery points.
- Don't turn sharp or else you'll break a bead or flip.
- Don't drive through big puddles without checking. It may be deeper than you think.

Who knows if that's the right thing...it's just some tips I've gathered in the past couple of days looking driving in sand up.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I'm right there with you too. I've never drove on sand before either, but this is what I've come up with.

- Stay in 4H.
- Bring a kinetic rope with because there's a good chance you'll get stuck. Make sure you have recovery points.
- Don't drive through big puddles without checking. It may be deeper than you think.

Who knows if that's the right thing...it's just some tips I've gathered in the past couple of days looking driving in sand up.
I have been going to Silver Lake Sand Dunes for 30+ years. The above is all good advice.

I would just add that I would start at 12 psi in the tires. If you find that you are having a difficult time, just keep lowering the tires by about 2 psi until it becomes easier to drive. 2 psi may not sound like much, but for simple math, if your at 10 psi, and drop to 8 psi, you just dropped the air pressure by 20%. It makes a difference.

Explore the dunes, just know just because you drove a part of the dune, you can move over 50 yards and have a whole different experience.

Cresting the top of the dunes, the top of the dunes can change through out the day, sometimes you roll over the top and other times, it is like a knifes edge and you may have to carry a little bit more speed so you do not get high sided, but don't carry so much speed that you jump the Jeep and roll end over end down the dune.

100% of the time wear your SEATBELT!!! while on the dunes.

Last of all go to the Chicken Shack for smoked wings. They are incredible.

Offroad

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 WK2
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

- Stay in 4H.

All good advice above but I would say feel free to try test hill.

Remember, NEVER turn around on the side of a dune. If you can't make it up, back straight down and either try again or exit out the valley. Yes, you might get high centered on the top of test hill but there are lots of nice people around to help. It took me 5 tries to get my wife's WK2 over test hill. You should of heard the cheers when I finally made it! Go out and have fun!

Sponsored

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
I air down to 10 psi on my tires - works fantastic.

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
Well I will be headed that way Thursday, have never been out on the dunes in a Jeep and never at SLSD, so it will be a new experience. If I get stuck, I will let you know how it goes. LoL, anyone else heading up there?
I just got up here this evening. This'll be my first real experience off road, so I'm excited! Hoping to learn a lot... And hopefully not the hard way!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I will not be able to make it up there this weekend. My son is home from Japan and it has been almost 3 years since he has been home. So we are sticking around and generally just chilling with him.

Take plenty of pictures and make sure you watch the sunset from the dunes.
Sponsored