Sponsored

First time in Jeep Wrangler JL. Can't keep steering straight

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 Jeep Moab came with PSI of 42. Dropped it down to 35-37, its steers a lot smoother now.
Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Here is a list of possible steering fixes from FCA's Star Case #S1819000003. Some have reported success, others have not in the main steering thread at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/loose-steering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691

Most have found loose ball joint nuts, loose track bar bolts, loose drag link bolts. The Star Case mentions to check these for proper torque, which can be found at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rangler-jl-steering-related-components.18510/

FCA's Star Case #S1819000003
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...o-help-cure-steering-issues-68394087aa.25299/

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
My 2019 Jeep Moab came with PSI of 42. Dropped it down to 35-37, its steers a lot smoother now.
Pounding my head into the wall. "It's not a Jeep thing", "It's not because it's built on a frame with solid axles", and "It's not a tire pressure thing". I have purchased new, three Wrangler Rubicons, one TJ and two JKs. They had the mud terrain tires and it didn't matter what tire pressure you ran, they tracked straight and never wandered while stock. I purchased a new JL Sahara thinking it would be easier to drive than a Rubicon. The new JL has a longer wheel base and should have made it even nicer to drive. As I drove it home, it was all over the place on the freeway, unlike any wrangler I ever owned.
LMAO, after 5 days 139 miles I got the CEL with a P0456 code. We dropped it off at the dealer a week ago because of the CEL and reported the steering and a popping passenger seat rail issue. Jeep Cares helped me out with the status and was told they wouldn't be getting the parts until the first week of July.

But this is a steering thread. I love my Jeeps, but not this new Wrangler. Hey Jeep, this is my 6th new Jeep since 2007, I'm very happy with your products, lets get this fixed.

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Hello all,

I just purchased 2019 Jeep Unlimited Moab edition last night ! This is my first time to get myself into Jeep Wrangler.

Since I am a newbie to the car I am not sure this is normal or not. I was driving back to my place from the dealer, I have noticed that I just cannot keep this car in straight line, especially on the freeway !! I constantly adjusting steering wheel side to side to make this car go straight. Is this sound normal to you or I just picked up the wrong Jeep? :(

Thanks
All,
Please let me know the fix. I just picked up a JL Rubicon Unlimited yesterday (6/13) and in less than 24 hours I had it back at the dealer as it was wandering all over the lane. I video taped my steering and it clearly shows I have 2 inches of travel from center in both directions for a total of 4 inches of dead space before steering begins. The dealer drove it and said this is normal and sent me on my way. I have emailed customer care and will send in my lemon law document to FCA. Totally bummed as I really love the vehicle, all except the unsave to drive part. I will continue to take it to other dealers and see what comes of it, but it seems some of the other posts I have read are correct in the official JEEP mantra is "This is normal operation for the wrangler".

Thanks for updates.

OP
OP
2019unlimitedmoab

2019unlimitedmoab

First Name
2019jeepmoab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 unlimited moab
I took my Jeep to the dealer and they replaced stabilizer bar and retorque the car but issue still exist!! Has anyone fix this issue at all? There are loose steering feeling or dead zone 4"or more left to right on the steering wheel when I go straight on the freeway. :(

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
All,
Please let me know the fix. I just picked up a JL Rubicon Unlimited yesterday (6/13) and in less than 24 hours I had it back at the dealer as it was wandering all over the lane. I video taped my steering and it clearly shows I have 2 inches of travel from center in both directions for a total of 4 inches of dead space before steering begins. The dealer drove it and said this is normal and sent me on my way. I have emailed customer care and will send in my lemon law document to FCA. Totally bummed as I really love the vehicle, all except the unsave to drive part. I will continue to take it to other dealers and see what comes of it, but it seems some of the other posts I have read are correct in the official JEEP mantra is "This is normal operation for the wrangler".

Thanks for updates.
Normal does not mean right. Normal only means it’s common that jeeps have this issue. So they are not lying, only redirecting you to think it’s proper.n
Start a claim and keep returning forcing the proper documentation. They CAN make it better....maybe not 100% but tolerable while Jeep finds a real solution. Do not let Jeep cares close a case on this until you are satisfied

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I took my Jeep to the dealer and they replaced stabilizer bar and retorque the car but issue still exist!! Has anyone fix this issue at all? There are loose steering feeling or dead zone 4"or more left to right on the steering wheel when I go straight on the freeway. :(
There are many successful examples at www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/loose-steering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691

There isn’t one magic bullet. You will most likely need the right combination of fixes. You might need a new steering gear box if every other fix has been completed. Also, two dealerships had told me they checked torque and they lied. I had to go to a 4x4 shop. Check the cotter pins in the 4 ball joint nuts in the front by the tires. If the cotter pins look perfectly bent, they did not check torque. If the cotter pins look straggly like a human bent them with pliers, then they at least checked the torque on those 4 items.

OP
OP
2019unlimitedmoab

2019unlimitedmoab

First Name
2019jeepmoab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 unlimited moab
There are many successful examples at www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/loose-steering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691

There isn’t one magic bullet. You will most likely need the right combination of fixes. You might need a new steering gear box if every other fix has been completed. Also, two dealerships had told me they checked torque and they lied. I had to go to a 4x4 shop. Check the cotter pins in the 4 ball joint nuts in the front by the tires. If the cotter pins look perfectly bent, they did not check torque. If the cotter pins look straggly like a human bent them with pliers, then they at least checked the torque on those 4 items.
I guess I will visit my dealer for the 2nd times then.

Thanks all !

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I will ask them on Monday.:)
You can check to see if they checked torque for yourself by looking at the cotter pins. Asking them doesn't prove that they checked torque. As I mentioned, I brought mine to 2 different Jeep dealers and both said they checked. They didn't. The 4x4 shop discovered that the ball joint nuts were finger tight and not even near the torque specs.

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im interested in what FCA is doing. I had my JLUR for less than 24 hours and brought it back in to Criswell Jeep, Dodge, Ram in Gatherburg Maryland. Showed them the video I have of 4 inches of slop in the steering 2 inches each side of center. Jeep wanders on straight road terribly which is a concern as I live quite rural and most of the roads are only 2 lane so wandering is an issue. Once you are past the slop in the steering everything is good so freeway driving around curves etc is ok but my jeep wont go straight. Anyway the service manager drove it around on surface streets etc. and said that the slop in the steering is NORMAL. I am speculating that to beat the LEMON Law FCA and the dealerships are just ignoring the problem and saying it does not exist.

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Normal does not mean right. Normal only means it’s common that jeeps have this issue. So they are not lying, only redirecting you to think it’s proper.n
Start a claim and keep returning forcing the proper documentation. They CAN make it better....maybe not 100% but tolerable while Jeep finds a real solution. Do not let Jeep cares close a case on this until you are satisfied
Thanks and will do

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The AE version of the new JL steering gear box is now out - 68250506AE / 4 door. Previous versions where 68250506AC and 68250506AD. Confirmed with a Jeep dealer's parts department today. The 2 door steering box, which is different than the 4 door steering box, hasn't changed since last year.

Mgirmonde

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB
Glad to know I’m not the only one. It’s not my first Wrangler and is by far the worst steering I have have ever encountered. Hope Jeep fixes it soon
Sponsored