First time in Jeep Wrangler JL. Can't keep steering straight

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Thank you for all your generous tips and thoughts. I was with Corvette forum for long time and I was very happy with them but you guys are way more friendlier to newbies than corvette forum! :)
corvetteforum.com?

I used to spent countless hours on off-topic until I sold off my Z06. Very entertaining but you definitely needed thick skin to survive.
Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
FYI: Many people with steering issues test drove another JL and it drives way better. So they are fairly comparing apples to apples.

I don't understand what you're saying brother. I'm just giving the OP my situation which may, or may not help him with his situation.

OP
OP
2019unlimitedmoab

2019unlimitedmoab

First Name
2019jeepmoab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 unlimited moab
corvetteforum.com?

I used to spent countless hours on off-topic until I sold off my Z06. Very entertaining but you definitely needed thick skin to survive.
Tell me about it ! :). There are very knowledgeable and love their Vettes and so did I.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
You will need to go through some adjustments as this is a Jeep. I also experienced the same issue when I was first driving home in my new JLUR. To some points, adjustment of the tire pressure is also well advised. Maybe dropping down to the low 30's depending on where you want to be. In the 6+ month's I've owned my Rubi, I've added a lift and new steering stabilizer bar. Is it a sail in the wind, yes.... But a new steering stabilizer has done wonders and now my jeep is tight in the corners, and rock-solid on the highway, short of heavy winds. Keep in mind, this vehicle seems very susceptible to wind, so in time your driving habits will settle into the jeep way of driving. I love mine, and I'm a long time BMW owner, so you can imagine how critical my thoughts might be.
I used to drive a 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia camper van and it could move an entire lane is heavy winds if you weren't paying attention. Of course it was the closest thing to a brick on wheels.

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Hello all,

I just purchased 2019 Jeep Unlimited Moab edition last night ! This is my first time to get myself into Jeep Wrangler.

Since I am a newbie to the car I am not sure this is normal or not. I was driving back to my place from the dealer, I have noticed that I just cannot keep this car in straight line, especially on the freeway !! I constantly adjusting steering wheel side to side to make this car go straight. Is this sound normal to you or I just picked up the wrong Jeep?

Thanks
Don’t worry, we knew you were a newbie when you called your Jeep a “car” twice in your first post :like: ha. I traded a 2015 Mercedes in for my 2018 JLSU... had the same problem. Felt like I was steering left to keep it centered.

Fast forward a year plus later and either I got used to it or it or it fixed itself because I never think about or noticed it anymore. I feel like some of it was me oversteering when I transitioned from my Benz bc I wasn’t use to the “loose steering” and was constantly correcting it.

In other words, it could be you getting used to it and nothing wrong.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
There are many threads on this topic. If you were able to fix it with just reducing your tire pressure, you are among the lucky ones. people have tried many different things and some worked for some, while others it did nothing. For instance, I had my steering box replaced (which was the biggest contributor to my "loose steering"), steering stabilizer replaced with Falcon 2.2, loosened and re-torqued all front end components, tire pressure reduced and increased my toe-in. still not 100% but it's better. I have a new track bar and lower control arms coming in, and I hope this will improve my "wondering" issue I have

Just a few other links to steering issues. good luck

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-238#post-722999

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steer-smarts-tie-rod-draglinks-front-track-bar.22276/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-lca-swap.22474/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...e-fix-for-the-steering-wandering-issue.28326/

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
First, congrats on you MOAB. @2019unlimitedmoab

I have a 2019 JLUR that has had this issue since day 1. Its one of those "Monday it drives great and Tuesday its all over the place" problems. The days it drives great, I love it. The days it doesn't, its hold on and prepare for a bumpy ride. I relate it to being Married (ok,, bad joke).. FCA is working it I'm sure. I recommend not doing anything like upgrading tires/wheels or components until you get it driving like you expect. I made that mistake and not only do I have a very expensive steering setup that still has this problem, but I square off with Jeep/FCA dealer every time I bring it in to troubleshoot. My $.02 Have fun with it, and enjoy your Jeep. I'm sure Jeep/FCA will eventually figure out what's going on, but don't be afraid to try the things listed above (and on other posts). I know a lot of folks have seen big improvements, even a few fixes, with the approaches listed above. Good luck and happy trails..

WANDRR

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
We had same issues, Chrysler wouldn't recognize it as a problem for me. So I put on adjustable lower control arms to change Castor angle to six degrees, still within specs. And put in a Falcon 2.2 stabilizer. In medium setting I would say that wandering is 89% gone. Good luck.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for all your generous tips and thoughts. I was with Corvette forum for long time and I was very happy with them but you guys are way more friendlier to newbies than corvette forum! :)
it's early... give it time... ;)

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Dodge Ram
I have the exact same issue with my new JLU. Noticed it about 10 miles into the drive home from the dealer. I’ve had other Jeeps, it’s not a Jeep thing. Something is clearly wrong beyond just tire pressure and alignment.

Sponsored

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
Adjusting the tire pressure down helped mine significantly. It’s still very “loose” and requires concentration to maintain a lane on the highway because of the extreme amount of play in the crappy steering.

Worse than my coach, but not quite as bad as my H1.

It honestly blows me away at how bad it is on a brand new vehicle in this day and age, but I guess it’s just something you live with if you want a Jeep. Once again though, it’s crazy that they charge over $60k for a brand new truck that can’t go down the highway without constant corrections.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I don't understand what you're saying brother. I'm just giving the OP my situation which may, or may not help him with his situation.
He's saying it's not a "Jeep Thing". If you have anything other than perfectly tight steering, you have a defective Jeep. Thats a ton of Jeeps, but more have good steering than do not. Dealers try to say its a Jeep thing to get out of fixing it. There have been many able to fix the steering using various fixes. Thus, if something can be fixed, it is not inherent to the vehicle, but is a defect.

clf1024

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018 JL Sahara
They replaced my 2018 JL because of the steering issues, gave me a 2019 JL and it has the same steering issues. They then replaced the damper, which didn't help. after 200 miles on the new. JL.

Last edited: