Sponsored

First time in 4x4...how do I go into 4L?

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Slightly off-topic, but I use 4low a lot, even in easy terrain.
If I’m running 0-15 mph, I like to put her in manual and choose my gears.
In 4low, I have all 8 available and useful.
Call me Goldilocks if you wish, but I like the gear that’s just right.

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
Slightly off-topic, but I use 4low a lot, even in easy terrain.
If I’m running 0-15 mph, I like to put her in manual and choose my gears.
In 4low, I have all 8 available and useful.
Call me Goldilocks if you wish, but I like the gear that’s just right.
The only issue with that is if I’m between obstacles or terrain where I’d benefit from 4L and I need to make a sharp turn, I like to be able to shift back into 2H to prevent binding / wheel hop.

So my go to is 4H and into 2H when turning and on OK terrain and 4L for climbing/crawling/oh shit I’m stuck.

As has been suggested, shift into both modes a few times BEFORE you need them to “loosen” everything up. I used to have difficulty with the shift but now find I get can get to 4L easily while still (Obviously with transmission in neutral) and 4H is effortless.

One thing I don’t see suggested often but has helped me - when you’re moving from 4H to 4L - do not stop at neutral (on the T case). Use one motion straight down from 4H to 4L.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
The only issue with that is if I’m between obstacles or terrain where I’d benefit from 4L and I need to make a sharp turn, I like to be able to shift back into 2H to prevent binding / wheel hop.

So my go to is 4H and into 2H when turning and on OK terrain and 4L for climbing/crawling/oh shit I’m stuck.

As has been suggested, shift into both modes a few times BEFORE you need them to “loosen” everything up. I used to have difficulty with the shift but now find I get can get to 4L easily while still (Obviously with transmission in neutral) and 4H is effortless.

One thing I don’t see suggested often but has helped me - when you’re moving from 4H to 4L - do not stop at neutral (on the T case). Use one motion straight down from 4H to 4L.

All well-considered. Do you think a little binding/wheel hop in dirt is harmful?
I’ve not been inclined to think so, but am eager to learn if I’m wrong.

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
All well-considered. Do you think a little binding/wheel hop in dirt is harmful?
I’ve not been inclined to think so, but am eager to learn if I’m wrong.
So what happens is - and pardon me if you’re aware - but when in 4WD, you lock the front and rear axles and thus tires. When turning, the front and rear end up rotating at different speeds and are forced to turn together so something has to give. You’ll feel your wheels hopping as a result. This can cause premature wear on joints. You are able to drive forward (or make slight turns) all day long in 4WD without issue but it’s recommended to be used only when extra traction is needed (in my experience, dirt alone does not count).

In off road conditions, you’re likely fine to keep it in 4WD but, depending on the trail, you may come to mere dirt road and need to turn. I’d throw it in 2H then. Just some food for thought.

If you have a Sahara with full time AWD, that works differently and these “rules” wouldn’t necessarily apply. :)

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
So what happens is - and pardon me if you’re aware - but when in 4WD, you lock the front and rear axles and thus tires. When turning, the front and rear end up rotating at different speeds and are forced to turn together so something has to give. You’ll feel your wheels hopping as a result. This can cause premature wear on joints. You are able to drive forward (or make slight turns) all day long in 4WD without issue but it’s recommended to be used only when extra traction is needed (in my experience, dirt alone does not count).

In off road conditions, you’re likely fine to keep it in 4WD but, depending on the trail, you may come to mere dirt road and need to turn. I’d throw it in 2H then. Just some food for thought.

If you have a Sahara with full time AWD, that works differently and these “rules” wouldn’t necessarily apply. :)
Thanks! Makes good sense. I shall modify my behavior accordingly.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Well this last saturday was my first time putting my JLUR into 4H.

I took my girlfriend to a park to take some graduation photos and the pavement ended and we hit a dirt/limerock trail so I took advantage and put it in 4H just to make sure we didnt get stuck (sarcasm).

The shifting was very smooth. I didnt have to pull very hard. I remembered all the pointers I read here before and it all worked fine.

It got me thinking though. I know 4H can be on the fly. Even parked (correct me if Im wrong). But 4L has to be done while rolling. What happens if you get stuck and cant "roll" to change into 4L? Is that what lockers are for? Winch?
I have done it in neutral, its not hard, just a little tight. I would not force it, though, if its too tight. Take it back to dealer and have them do it the first time if its really hard. That way if it breaks its on them.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I have done it in neutral, its not hard, just a little tight. I would not force it, though, if its too tight. Take it back to dealer and have them do it the first time if its really hard. That way if it breaks its on them.
Trying really hard to resist channeling my inner Michael Scott here. Valid advice though :like:

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Where in the $%#^& do you find these?? That's hillarious
That's from Blues Brothers. A spectacular comedy with Jim Belushi and Dan Ackroyd. Also Carrie Fisher, Aretha Franklin, John Candy and Ray Charles!

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
That's from Blues Brothers. A spectacular comedy with Jim Belushi and Dan Ackroyd. Also Carrie Fisher, Aretha Franklin, John Candy and Ray Charles!
I know the movie, but that specific clip is great...... I saw that not too long ago, still funny.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I know the movie, but that specific clip is great...... I saw that not too long ago, still funny.
heh, I like to quote movies, and running a google search on GIFs from movies is pretty easy. Pretty fun when you find one that matches what you have in mind perfectly, lol.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
with our 06 TJ, I have to shift the tranny into neutral and roll at about 2-3 mph's. Then shift the transfer case into 4L. Same with my 2018 F-150 4x4, seems consistent. Tranny in neutral, roll at very low speeds, and then shift the transfer case.

Loved that movie too!