Sponsored

First time at Rowher Flats OHV today

BMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
First time off-roading my first-ever Jeep, first visit to Rowher Flats. My wife and I really enjoyed it.

It wasn’t crowded at all, which was awesome. We moved to the San Fernando Valley last year from the Seattle area, and the usual spots I’d take my dirt bike in the Puget Sound would be packed on any sunny April weekend. Rowher is so much larger and less crowded. And only a 40 min drive. We’ll be back soon!

Jeep Wrangler JL First time at Rowher Flats OHV today E401A031-2433-4154-BC10-0F8865108159
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
How awesome! I actually plan on visiting there for the first time next week! Any pointers?

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Me too. Once my 4xe arrives I plan on going and that's the first place I plan to go. In the valley too

OP
OP
BMorgan

BMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
How awesome! I actually plan on visiting there for the first time next week! Any pointers?
Sure! The road into the 1st staging area is a bumpy dirt road for 2.5 miles past the early paved part. I suggest airing down at the gravel parking lot at the start of that, just past the turn off from the Sierra Hwy. I didn't, and I wish I had. Very bumpy. On the way out I waited to get to that lot to air-up and it was much better.

After watching YouTube videos about them, I bought some tire deflators and they worked extremely well. Factory adjusted to 18lbs, I just screwed them on and waited, then took them off. Done! Amazon.com: Staun Automatic Tire Deflators (Standard Duty 6-30 PSI): Automotive

To air-up, I had my wife watch the tire pressure monitor screen. It's real time enough to work. At first I was using the gauge on my compressor but that got old real fast. There's an icon on the Apps screen for a tire inflator thing but it was always grayed out. I guess I'll figure that out later.

I knew my Ridgid hand-held compressor wasn't going to cut it for these tires so I bought a new compressor that worked really well: Amazon.com: Smittybilt 2781 5.65 CFM Universal Air Compressor: Automotive

Use the practice area off the first staging area! I did and it was a confidence builder. I've off-roaded in old Nissan trucks and dirt bikes, but never a $55K brand new Rubicon. And my wife has never been off-road more than a mile into a campsite, so that helped her too.

Good luck and have fun!

Sponsored

Kbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
Ouch

We were up there today too (group of 4 Jeeps), was surprised we didn't see many people on the trails. Did Lookout with some friends that had never been up there....might have scared him a little bit at first but he came around later in the day! Weather was perfect.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Sure! The road into the 1st staging area is a bumpy dirt road for 2.5 miles past the early paved part. I suggest airing down at the gravel parking lot at the start of that, just past the turn off from the Sierra Hwy. I didn't, and I wish I had. Very bumpy. On the way out I waited to get to that lot to air-up and it was much better.

After watching YouTube videos about them, I bought some tire deflators and they worked extremely well. Factory adjusted to 18lbs, I just screwed them on and waited, then took them off. Done! Amazon.com: Staun Automatic Tire Deflators (Standard Duty 6-30 PSI): Automotive

To air-up, I had my wife watch the tire pressure monitor screen. It's real time enough to work. At first I was using the gauge on my compressor but that got old real fast. There's an icon on the Apps screen for a tire inflator thing but it was always grayed out. I guess I'll figure that out later.

I knew my Ridgid hand-held compressor wasn't going to cut it for these tires so I bought a new compressor that worked really well: Amazon.com: Smittybilt 2781 5.65 CFM Universal Air Compressor: Automotive

Use the practice area off the first staging area! I did and it was a confidence builder. I've off-roaded in old Nissan trucks and dirt bikes, but never a $55K brand new Rubicon. And my wife has never been off-road more than a mile into a campsite, so that helped her too.

Good luck and have fun!
Thank you for all the tips!

I’ll definitely have some fun in the staging area😁

those automatic deflates are awesome! I might actually get wheels that have them embedded in the rim just like the valve stem when I change my tires to 35s!

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Ouch

We were up there today too (group of 4 Jeeps), was surprised we didn't see many people on the trails. Did Lookout with some friends that had never been up there....might have scared him a little bit at first but he came around later in the day! Weather was perfect.
The fact that it’s so lacking of too many people is the best part of it. Especially on a Saturday!

Sponsored

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Use a stop watch when you air up. After a few times you'll dial it in for your compressor/tire combo and will save yourself from second guessing the gauges.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Use a stop watch when you air up. After a few times you'll dial it in for your compressor/tire combo and will save yourself from second guessing the gauges.
Great idea. Also make sure your engine is running when you use any inflator. They draw a lot of current.

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
First time off-roading my first-ever Jeep, first visit to Rowher Flats. My wife and I really enjoyed it.

It wasn’t crowded at all, which was awesome. We moved to the San Fernando Valley last year from the Seattle area, and the usual spots I’d take my dirt bike in the Puget Sound would be packed on any sunny April weekend. Rowher is so much larger and less crowded. And only a 40 min drive. We’ll be back soon!
Was your second trip to Rowher Flats on July 5th, by any chance?