Sponsored

First sighting of 2020 Jeep JL Wrangler PHEV Plug-In Hybrid!

Kansas JL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon ( sold). 2022 392 XR Tuscadero
I am excited about a plug in Jeep. It would be great if they could squeeze in another 20-30 miles and give about 50-60 total miles electric. ( no official numbers have been released yet). The wrangler is a good sized vehicle to house a larger battery.
I own two Tesla vehicles and I can say they have completely changed how I feel about plugging in a vehicle. It’s easy, and crazy cheap to run. As mentioned before on this thread, they are fun as hell to drive. And as mentioned already they are not for everybody, just nice to have those options if you would like to buy one.
Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Everyone’s assuming a 30 mile electric range, based on the Pacifica’s I believe. The Pacifica has the same 3.6 as is in the JL (correct?). They get 19/28, we get 18/23 (or at least they’re rated for that). So, assuming the JL PHEV gets the same battery pack, why would it get as much range as a Pacifica?

I’d expect 22 mile range at best.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone’s assuming a 30 mile electric range, based on the Pacifica’s I believe. The Pacifica has the same 3.6 as is in the JL (correct?). They get 19/28, we get 18/23 (or at least they’re rated for that). So, assuming the JL PHEV gets the same battery pack, why would it get as much range as a Pacifica?

Assuming the Wrangler Plug in gets the same battery pack and electric motors as the Pacifica Plug in I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment. The MPGe rating would not be as high as the Pacifica due to the extra weight and friction of the 4x4 drivetrain for sure. The spy shots show a Rubicon so even more so than if it was a Sport without the limited slip differential.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Yes it would be hard for the Wrangler to get the same efficiency as the Pacifica.

But you are making some assumptions. Assumes the same size battery and the same efficiency battery as the Pacifica. Bigger or better battery could change the numbers.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Right, which is why I said "assuming". I admit it's an assumption, but it's not a stretch.
If it did get 22 it would actually be tied with the Mitsubishi Outlander for the highest range for an SUV and actually better than a lot of cars (Mini Countryman gets 12 miles, c’mon). It’s hard to believe, but the Pacifica has the second highest range of current PHEV’s behind the Honda Clarity. I loved my Volt, unfortunately Chevy discontinued them.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I loved my Volt, unfortunately Chevy discontinued them.
GM loves to do that. come out with something great and then just screw it all up and bury it...

They had potential to dominate the EV market years before Tesla came about... but no they took back all of the leased EV1s and destroyed them.

GTY_gm_ev1_mar_140904_12x5_992.jpg

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

The JL plug in is probably getting the 2.0 not the 3.6.

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
Are you basing that on anything? Everything I've read has suggested it would share the Pacifica platform.
On a Pacifica the electric motor feeds in via the transaxle, as it is front wheel drive. So they certainly won't be using the Pacifica transaxle. Some Jeeps with lesser trail capabilities will get an electric motor powered rear axle, but I can't see that in a Wrangler. I think the real driver here is China, as it is the world's biggest market for cars. FCA want to sell lots of Jeeps to China. And China adopted a modified version of CARB rules and is requiring that 12% of a manufacturers vehicles sold be Alternative Energy, such as Plug-in hybrids with a minimum of 50 KM electric only range. 50KM is 31.069 miles. It is no coincidence that the Pacifica's battery only range is 33 miles. Or that the new PEV Jeep Commander to be sold in China gets over 40 miles of E range, which I assume is using a larger battery pack. I am hoping they are able to find room to fit the larger Commando battery pack on the JLU at least, since they already have it. Another driver in the USA for this is money. FCA paid hefty fines to the Feds for not meeting fuel mileage goals, despite paying large sums to Tesla for credits. I'm sure they want to fix this situation. My opinions only.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
What's Old is New, again ! Does anyone remember the 2008-2009 Chrysler Aspen, Dodge Durango Hybrids ? They were V8s, heavy, and 4x4. Unlike our current " mild" hybrids, these could power up to 25mph on electric alone. They weren't plug in, but used braking to regenerate electric power, like our 2.0 BSG does. I'm looking forward to a minimum 32 mile, plug in, using the 2.0 Turbo, in a 2 door JL. History is making another pass at this , better luck this time !

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What's Old is New, again ! Does anyone remember the 2008-2009 Chrysler Aspen, Dodge Durango Hybrids ? They were V8s, heavy, and 4x4. Unlike our current " mild" hybrids, these could power up to 25mph on electric alone. They weren't plug in, but used braking to regenerate electric power, like our 2.0 BSG does. I'm looking forward to a minimum 32 mile, plug in, using the 2.0 Turbo, in a 2 door JL. History is making another pass at this , better luck this time !
I remember a lot of hype about the Durango and Aspen Hybrids. Taking a vehicle that averaged 13-15 MPG and getting that number up to 20 was pretty good for a full sized SUV. Its unfortunate that they only made about a dozen before canceling the Durango altogether and filed for bankruptcy. :headbang:

They were also developing a Plug in Hybrid Wrangler and Patriot with different drive types at that time. Good to see they're catching up with this again.

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
I think it will most likely have a ZF 8 speed plug-in hybrid transmission
https://www.zf.com/products/en/cars/products_34949.html
Very interesting read! But I note that electric only maxes out at about 74.6 MPH, so I'd have to stay out of the fast lane! The system can handle an electric motor with up to 120 HP. The way I read it the motor imbedded in the transmission is a hydraulic unit, thus I assume the electric motor is mounted high and dry and runs a hydraulic pump with feed and return hoses to the electric motor/pump. It would be nice if they used a higher performance version for the Wrangler, given it's intended uses.

Kmag88

First Name
Kristinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 JK
Very interesting read! But I note that electric only maxes out at about 74.6 MPH, so I'd have to stay out of the fast lane! The system can handle an electric motor with up to 120 HP. The way I read it the motor imbedded in the transmission is a hydraulic unit, thus I assume the electric motor is mounted high and dry and runs a hydraulic pump with feed and return hoses to the electric motor/pump. It would be nice if they used a higher performance version for the Wrangler, given it's intended uses.
Yeah, max 75 MPH in all electric. You'll still get benefits from the hybrid system as I doubt you get straight away up to 75 MPH...
Looking at this document, it looks as the electric motor is all inside of the transmission. They also mention boost mode:
"Boost mode When full power is required in the hybrid vehicle, the electric motor supports the combustion engine." which means you'll get 270-285 hp + 120 hp!

Of course, this is all speculation on my behalf. I think the PHEV Land Rovers and Range Rovers use this transmission.

hybrid.PNG