Sponsored

First sighting of 2020 Jeep JL Wrangler PHEV Plug-In Hybrid!

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
You’ll still be plugging your Jeep Wrangler into a wall outlet every day just like a prius.
Works for me. I don't at all see how that's a negative (is that why you said like a Prius? 98% of Prius' sold don't plug in btw -- maybe you incorrectly typed "Tesla"). I pull it into the garage every day. Takes an extra 5 seconds to plug it in for the night.
Sponsored

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
That guys opinions will die out just like his combustion engines. Pay no attention.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Again. I don’t get why people get so upset and negative about electrics. Fossil fuels have these advantages over electric : up front cost, refuel time.

Electrics are faster, have better dynamics with low center of gravity, huge torque numbers, and cheap to refuel with low maintenance.

ICE is initially cheaper and refuels fast. They have a smaller manufacturing carbon footprint

The energy grid is slowly moving away from coal. The argument that you’re getting your electricity from fossil fuels as a reason to continue to use ICE is extremely short sighted. Electric allows the grid to go green utilizing whatever works in your area whether it’s solar, wind, water, or nuke (hopefully fusion someday). Moving the cars on the road to electric allows the whole system to move renewable as the grid changes with an automotive infrastructure that won’t need to be altered.

Fossil fuels will end. Get over it. I’m sure someone was screaming “ain’t no one gonna take my horse for some fandangled auto MO-bile.” And yet the world moved on by. One reason beyond cost that Jeep is probably doing a plug in as opposed to a true electric is simply to ease their fan base into it. Cause they probably know just how open they are to change. You can see it in this forum. Jeep the brand will die if they don’t adapt cause those regulations aren’t gonna get any better. Folks can only pretend for so long.

The ONLY people that win in a ICE environment is OPEC. So go buy an OPEC t shirt if you’re so hell bent on gasoline.

The average commute is 16miles. A leaf provides ample range for the vast majority of Americans.

Pushing EVs is good for so many reasons beyond cars. It pushes out R&D to be at the forefront of battery technology, renewable energy technology, and so on. Instead of whining about how it’ll never work how about saying I don’t know... “We are America. The most technologically advanced, prosperous, and determined county the planet has ever seen. We will get it done where others cannot. We will lead where others follow.”

How’s that sound? We split the atom, put a man on the moon, invented the microprocessor, developed GPS, and so on and so on. It is just depressing how afraid the population is to support such innovation anymore and is the reason we are falling behind other countries in so many fields. Who child aspires to be at the forefront when their parents keep saying everything is fine just the way it is.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Found a great button for the trolls in here. Just click their name then ignore. Had no clue you can do that.

Sponsored

Spoke

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
IT guy
Vehicle Showcase
Electric is coming and god bless all you young folk that are happy and ready to adopt. I'm old enough that I will miss total adoption and I don't feel that I'm missing this blessed and exciting change from gas to electric. Someday you guys will be flying to Europe on an electric plane...cool.

Spoke

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
IT guy
Vehicle Showcase
Found a great button for the trolls in here. Just click their name then ignore. Had no clue you can do that.
May I suggest, being open and listening to other opinions is very healthy for each of us. Differences are what healthy societies are all about. Just quickly blocking someone you disagree with is not a fix. Look around you, listen, people are different and have different views and that's a good thing. Be a man about other opinions and don't be a on-line pussy.:punch:

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
There actually one major benefit to run phev as a offroad overlander, you can sleep in it with ac and fridge on the whole night .

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Do we know the specs for this vehicle?

Is this going to be like the “hybrid-electric” Mini Cooper with a range of something like 30 miles before you start burning gas? The downside is that the battery weighs so much and takes so much space, the fuel tank is small —- total range (gas and electric) is actually shorter than the all gas versions I seem to recall.

That might be fine for many who need a daily driver and have a 10 mile commute to work. I would guess that the vast majority of Jeep owners daily drive their 100% stock Jeeps. I am curious if Jeeps is taking the “mini” route and putting in a very small range battery to address this market.

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
May I suggest, being open and listening to other opinions is very healthy for each of us. Differences are what healthy societies are all about. Just quickly blocking someone you disagree with is not a fix. Look around you, listen, people are different and have different views and that's a good thing. Be a man about other opinions and don't be a on-line pussy.:punch:
That would be true if he had an actual opinion that provided something meaningful other than “hybrids are crap and you’re all a bunch of hipster pussies. Gas forever!”

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
That would be true if he had an actual opinion that provided something meaningful other than “hybrids are crap and you’re all a bunch of hipster pussies. Gas forever!”
Yeah. I already blocked that other guy.

It’s like arguing with flat earthers or anti vax people. It’s not an opinion. It’s an ignorant troll who has nothing better to do that create an argument online. Ending his reply with calling me a pussy is a perfect example. Blocked. Bye bye.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except there's a difference between opinions and just straight trolling. And if not trolling, he doesn't seem to have any type of reasoning behind his opinion.

Spoke

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
IT guy
Vehicle Showcase
Back to electrics. I really like the idea and would adopt if I could drive the jeep off-road long term, say a couple of weeks, doesn't seem possible. The hybrid just doesn't fit the jeep in my eyes, though the instant torque would be kick *ss off-road and on-road. I will read the reviews for sure.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Is this going to be like the “hybrid-electric” Mini Cooper with a range of something like 30 miles before you start burning gas? The downside is that the battery weighs so much and takes so much space, the fuel tank is small —- total range (gas and electric) is actually shorter than the all gas versions I seem to recall.
That’s my main concern. Main reason to considering the 2.0T or diesel is extended range. PHEV may not be a viable option if you are forced to shrink gas capacity to add electric. We see that already with the 2.0T and it’s eTorque configuration. However, I believe the fuel savings compensate for the reduced fuel capacity.
Sponsored