Sponsored

First sighting of 2020 Jeep JL Wrangler PHEV Plug-In Hybrid!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Forgive me, but doesnt this article side more with my argument not yours?!

Author uses a bunch of "fancy" words just to say "regenerative braking" does absolutely nothing, however, may be a gateway into unknown possibilities.
I actually have not made any argument about regenerative braking. I know better than that.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Does not "recapture" anything

Maybe prevents less electric draw

Recapturing would be a positive(literally) to your current battery level.

For example: if your battery had 50% left until depletion, and you recaptured any denomination your battery level would read above 50% left.

What the article is referring to is(maybe) "recapturing" some energy the the vehicle would draw less power to do the same. Meaning if your at 50% and in one mile it would go down to 49%, recapturing anything in that mile would only deplete the capacity to let's say 49.5%

Make sense? Hard to explain in a way

Those percentiles are talking negative numbers bud
It's more like accelerating from a stop drops the battery from 50% to 49%, then slowing down and stopping at the next stoplight brings you back up to 49.3%. Some of that energy that was used to accelerate is recaptured by the regenerative braking. The only way to have a net gain from the regenerative braking is to glide down a looong hill, that you didn't just climb.

rogo66

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I've never shown an increase in battery percentage on my electric motorcycle from engine or brake regen, but there's a 8 mile stretch of road that I travel often where I use a lot of engine regen and 0 percent battery.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
#TRIGGERWARNING

2wmgov.jpg

*Your actual mileage my vary.

Incremental improvements is the name of the game. This hybrid is still just one more rung on the ladder.

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Our photographers have just spotted the PHEV (plug in hybrid) Jeep JL Wrangler in testing. The camouflage hiding this JL's fenders cover exactly where the electric charge port will be located. Although both fenders are camouflaged, previous rumors indicate that the charge port is located on the driver's side fender.

Electric Range

While following this prototype, our photographer observed it driving in pure EV mode (all-electric mode, without using the gasoline engine) for approximately 25 minutes before turning on its engine. How much all-electric range the PHEV Jeep Wrangler will achieve is not yet announced, but as a reference point of what to expect -- the 2019 Pacifica Hybrid manages 32 miles of all-electric range before reverting back to the engine. And just days ago, FCA also announced upcoming PHEV versions of the Renegade and Compass which will achieve 31 miles of all-electric range.

Powertrain

What also remains unknown is which powertrain the 2020 Jeep Wrangler PHEV will use - the 3.6L Pentastar V6 (used in the Pacifica Hybrid) or the 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder engine.

Production / Launch Date

On a recent earnings call, FCA mentioned a January 2020 on-sale date for the PHEV Jeep Wrangler, which means production would start in the second half of this year. Indeed, according to our inside sources, the shutdown of the plant to retool for PHEV Wrangler is currently scheduled occur from April 18 to May 13.

Gladiator Grille

Interestingly, this prototype also wears the Jeep Gladiator grille, which features larger grille openings to allow for more cooling.

Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_002.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_004.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_005.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_006.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_007.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_008.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_009.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_010.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_011.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_012.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_013.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_016.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_017.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_018.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_019.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_021.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_022.jpg
Jeep_Wrangler_PHEV_023.jpg
just wondering if this would actually be 6cyl Turbo & not PHEV.. just throwing that out there..;)

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
just wondering if this would actually be 6cyl Turbo & not PHEV.. just throwing that out there..;)
"While following this prototype, our photographer observed it driving in pure EV mode (all-electric mode, without using the gasoline engine) for approximately 25 minutes before turning on its engine."

This kind of throws a bone in that train of thought I think.

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
"While following this prototype, our photographer observed it driving in pure EV mode (all-electric mode, without using the gasoline engine) for approximately 25 minutes before turning on its engine."

This kind of throws a bone in that train of thought I think.
:(

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Lol. Back on page 8 I mentioned be tolls would be out. And boy are they. Driving to Orlando from Ohio. Realized that if I get the Rivian we would have made the entire leg today without needing to charge and could charge up at the hotel overnight. That woulda been cool.

I’ll check back when I see more info on the hybrid range and cost. Until then I’m going to wade out of the toxic pool.

Okay trolls back to screaming about left wing conspiracies funded by big solar.

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
Seriously, I’m interested in this model but after 4 pages I just skipped to the last cuz I can’t stand listening to these people. We should just start going into the other threads and trolling them. Holy shit.

I for one am excited. 30 isn’t much range but living in nyc in mostly stop and go traffic with a 6 mile commute where i can plug in, that equals some big savings for me.

Sponsored

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
You got me. I have absolutely no clue what you're trying to say.
You can do the exact equivalent to hill assist or engine braking and you'll be CREATING energy.

The parts that jumps out at me is the bold CREATING energy part. I'm guessing others are stumbling there too.

Regenerative braking isn't creating energy, it's converting it from one form to another. To some people this is nitpicking and means the same thing. To others it is an ENTIRELY different thing, because words have specific meanings, especially in technical discussions.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
The parts that jumps out at me is the bold CREATING energy part. I'm guessing others are stumbling there too.

Regenerative braking isn't creating energy, it's converting it from one form to another. To some people this is nitpicking and means the same thing. To others it is an ENTIRELY different thing, because words have specific meanings, especially in technical discussions.
Recovering energy might be a more accurate term... but that's really semantics. Regardless regenerative braking turns wasted energy (otherwise lost in the form of brake heat) into useful energy (electricity). As you mentioned, energy is never created, only converted from one form to another (welcome back to physics 101). There is never a net gain in energy, only losses due to inefficiencies inherent to all systems.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Perhaps. Or perhaps some folks are just intentionally being argumentative? I'm not sure. I'm not an engineer.

Last edited by a moderator:

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I for one am excited. 30 isn’t much range but living in nyc in mostly stop and go traffic with a 6 mile commute where i can plug in, that equals some big savings for me.
The problem is, rarely do the savings from EV/hybrid tech pay for themselves with lower gas costs. I guess if we can recoup a tax credit that helps, but otherwise, the cost of the tech is likely to eat away all of the savings and then some. See, 2.0T and premium gas requirement for one.
Sponsored