Sponsored

First sighting of 2020 Jeep JL Wrangler PHEV Plug-In Hybrid!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Ever watch star wars, star trek, battlestar galactica? See any Gasoline Cars? See any electric cars? lol, i know those are fake news
So even though I understand your point about advancement of electric vehicle technology, I will point out that Battlestar Galactica (reboot) made frequent use of HMMWVs in the scenes on Caprica. :bandit:
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (Gladys) - 89' Civic SI
So jets and cargo ships will also go electric? What about the cars in India and Africa? I'm fairly confident there will be a demand for oil until it is all consumed, and if demand falls the price will fall too.
Comparing ICE cars to horses is silly. Horses have almost no advantages over ICE, whereas ICE vehicles have more advantages over electric cars than the other way around. I think comparing diesel trains to electric trains is a better analogy, and we have both running simultaneously for the past 100+ years.
Eventually gasoline will go bye bye, IMHO.

Edit: and oil and diesel, ect.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So even though I understand your point about advancement of electric vehicle technology, I will point out that Battlestar Galactica (reboot) made frequent use of HMMWVs in the scenes on Caprica. :bandit:
Lol, damn it I didn't watch all of Battlestar Galactica. I suck. Delete my post. =)

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So jets and cargo ships will also go electric? What about the cars in India and Africa? I'm fairly confident there will be a demand for oil until it is all consumed, and if demand falls the price will fall too.
Comparing ICE cars to horses is silly. Horses have almost no advantages over ICE, whereas ICE vehicles have more advantages over electric cars than the other way around. I think comparing diesel trains to electric trains is a better analogy, and we have both running simultaneously for the past 100+ years.
Jets and cargo ships are going electric as we speak; India, China, Africa , especially China, are ahead in electric vehicles. They can do this because they don't have an entrenched oil industry, gasoline infrastructure. Build new, for electric, as China is.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, damn it I didn't watch all of Battlestar Galactica. I suck. Delete my post. =)
heh, you could say they ran on Tylium instead of JP-8. ;)

Sponsored

Lecroj

First Name
Jon L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB JLU, 2012 MDX, 2010 Mini
Jets and cargo ships are going electric as we speak; India, China, Africa , especially China, are ahead in electric vehicles. They can do this because they don't have an entrenched oil industry, gasoline infrastructure. Build new, for electric, as China is.
Would love to see a video of an electric passenger jet. How many tons of batteries does it take to fly a 777 from NY to LA?
Ships aren't much different. They might be able to run on batteries for short trips in Scandinavia but batteries don't have the energy density to efficiently carry stuff around the world.
As far as third world abandoning gas, there are over 100 million mopeds/motorcycles in India and who knows how many hundred million cars/buses and you don't think there is an "entrenched" oil industry? I'm sure third world countries are just dying to dump trillions into improving the electrical grid to handle 100 million electric Teslas and Jeeps, not to mention paying for the higher initial cost of electric vehicles. China is an anomaly due to their authoritarian and monetary structure, but they would just be trading dirty coal generated electric for gasoline at this point.
Not saying electric propulsion doesn't have its place, especially if you are a rich American and your company charger pays for all of your refills, but the cost and physical limits of batteries mean that it is not the optimal solution for the bulk of situations. Pull the subsidies and mandates see how well electric cars fare.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Would love to see a video of an electric passenger jet. How many tons of batteries does it take to fly a 777 from NY to LA?
Ships aren't much different. They might be able to run on batteries for short trips in Scandinavia but batteries don't have the energy density to efficiently carry stuff around the world.
As far as third world abandoning gas, there are over 100 million mopeds/motorcycles in India and who knows how many hundred million cars/buses and you don't think there is an "entrenched" oil industry? I'm sure third world countries are just dying to dump trillions into improving the electrical grid to handle 100 million electric Teslas and Jeeps, not to mention paying for the higher initial cost of electric vehicles. China is an anomaly due to their authoritarian and monetary structure, but they would just be trading dirty coal generated electric for gasoline at this point.
Not saying electric propulsion doesn't have its place, especially if you are a rich American and your company charger pays for all of your refills, but the cost and physical limits of batteries mean that it is not the optimal solution for the bulk of situations. Pull the subsidies and mandates see how well electric cars fare.
I guess you haven't been paying attention to the world-wide adoption of laws limiting carbon, which has led to an enormous increase in Research and Development, in aircraft, vehicles, ships. This is happening now, batteries are improving exponentially..
You are several years behind in grasping what is happening world wide, enjoy the Surprise of new and improved technology.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pull the subsidies and mandates see how well electric cars fare
It's like a tiff district in real estate. The city knows they won't grow property taxes in a certain area, so they give tax breaks so a developer builds there. He gets his nut and the city gets higher property tax base 10 years later.

It's a catalyst. They give money away so people buy them, so the manufacturer sells them, so the technology is propelled ahead and jump started.

It's the Govt investing in a cleaner smarter world 10 years down the line that otherwise wouldn't have occurred.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you happen to be wheeling in one of those forests where the trees have electrical outlets, this is going to be awesome.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you happen to be wheeling in one of those forests where the trees have electrical outlets, this is going to be awesome.
Better solar panels, higher capacity batteries, it all takes time, eventually electric cars will be obsolete too either with new technology. Horse and buggy.....

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Cargo ships and jets might be some combo of biofuel, or ammonia, or hydrogen fuel cell.

Also, since the 1970s those diesel trains are actually electric too; they just tow a huge generator behind them.

Lecroj

First Name
Jon L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB JLU, 2012 MDX, 2010 Mini
I obviously derailed the thread and I call uncle. I thank you all in advance for buying your Italian union built plug in jeep with increased complexity and a 30 mile range on batteries. I no longer have to worry about my beach house getting flooded.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
I am not an electrical engineer. That said, can you show me a solar array that is suitable for the wilderness that can charge a HUGE transportation battery from empty to 80% in less than 1 hour?

As to your first point, one does not need a big battery to go rock crawling. One needs a big battery to get there and, once there, one needs access to charging stations that are as ubiquitous as gas stations. If the actual charge time is 1 hour, that’s great! Assuming of course, that there aren’t 4 vehicles ahead of you at the one charging spot.........
Yep, if you were planning to camp for several sunny days, and you were willing to lug a few large solar panels, you could probably get a bit of a charge over the course of several full days, but it would take a massive (too large to be transported) array in strong sunlight to put any kind of charge into a vehicular battery in an hour. And I know of what I speak because I live in a net zero solar house and my other non-Jeep car is an EV...
Sponsored