Sponsored

First scheduled service at 7K miles - dealer says I need a $400 scheduled service, threatened to void new car warranty

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
This is normal,.. so you're gonna complain and make a stink? What do you think they will do then?

When you go to a restaurant and you don't like the food do you send it back? ... you'll wind up with someones picked nose in it, saliva or some springs in it.
I can't believe I'm reading this on this forum. The first scheduled maintenance, outside of tire rotations and oil changes, according to the Jeep manual, is at 20,000 miles. There's no way this is justifiable. This is NOT normal. It's this attitude that allows dealerships to persist with these tactics. I suppose you'd be totally fine getting mugged in New York (or anywhere) and just say pay up, this is normal. I certainly hope that if you have children, you don't give them advice or they'll be taken advantage of their whole lives.

Last edited:

macphisto13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT but wanting to add a Jeep to my stable
I know that it's silly, but I bypass the Jeep WAVE freebies. I've had bad luck with inconsistent service on routine maintenance. [including finding a half-eaten burrito seeping into my rear seat.] Free isn't always free.
They even included a burrito? Was it bean or beef? And did they include guac? Oil change and lunch, now THAT's a dealer to keep.

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
Do not let your first oil change go 7K miles! I changed mine at 1K then again at 3K. Then every 5K…

Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
I can't believe I'm reading this on this forum. The first scheduled maintenance, outside of tire rotations and oil changes, according to the Jeep manual, is at 20,000 miles. There's no way this is justifiable. This is NOT normal. It's this attitude that allows dealerships to persist with these tactics. I suppose you'd be totally fine getting mugged in New York (or anywhere) and just say pay up, this is normal. I certainly hope that if you have children, you don't give them advice or they'll be taken advantage of their whole lives.
It is the norm, that's why you see treads like this! This is why we have and need lemon laws... been there done that. People are saying go back and demand the service... BS they had there chance, take whatever action and move on!

So what you're saying they mugged you once, go back and have them mug me again.. can't believe I'm reading that.

They're already not happy there little scam didn't work so you want to give them a second chance? Never said I haven't been in the fight.

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
My change oil light went on at 7K miles (my Jeep was purchased new 11 months ago) so I took it to the dealer for my first Jeep Wave oil service and tire rotation. The dealer wanted me to also do (in addition to the Jeep Wave oil service and tire rotation) the first ‘scheduled maintenance’ at a cost of $400 which includes checking a bunch of things and lubrication. I declined and they made me sign a waiver saying I was declining this recommended service and that it may affect my new vehicle warranty. Has anyone heard of this? They are saying this is from Stelantis, not the dealer, and they refused to do the oil service without me signing this.
Report them to Stellantis....that is total BS and don't sign a thing.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
It is the norm, that's why you see treads like this! This is why we have and need lemon laws... been there done that. People are saying go back and demand the service... BS they had there chance, take whatever action and move on!

So what you're saying they mugged you once, go back and have them mug me again.. can't believe I'm reading that.

They're already not happy there little scam didn't work so you want to give them a second chance? Never said I haven't been in the fight.
I read your reply as telling the OP that it's normal to pay for $400 for a 7,000 mile service checkup. It didn't sound like you meant it's normal to be scammed by your dealer. I agree that I wouldn't go back there, but I think what people are also saying is that if you tell them you're on to them, they won't take advantage of you again next time. It may still be useful to go back and have them remove the "your warranty is potentially voided" thing from the record based on that being total B.S. If you're in a collision and your insurance or whomever will only pay to have it towed to the nearest dealership, you don't want to have to deal with that EVERY time you walk in the door.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
I read your reply as telling the OP that it's normal to pay for $400 for a 7,000 mile service checkup. It didn't sound like you meant it's normal to be scammed by your dealer. I agree that I wouldn't go back there, but I think what people are also saying is that if you tell them you're on to them, they won't take advantage of you again next time. It may still be useful to go back and have them remove the "your warranty is potentially voided" thing from the record based on that being total B.S. If you're in a collision and your insurance or whomever will only pay to have it towed to the nearest dealership, you don't want to have to deal with that EVERY time you walk in the door.
I certainly wouldn't tell my intentions and then hand them the keys, you'll get that burrito somewhere! The jeep I have now, I brought it in @ 1K miles for the free oil and filter change and tire rotation. Did they change the oil idk, did they change the filter idk, but what I am sure of is they didn't rotate the tires. I let it be known and that was there chance.

Sponsored

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

Are you serious? I have a feeling people who react this way have never actually read the warranty.
I guess I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm just saying, if someone says you're contractually obligated to do something and you disagree, you don't have to just take them at their word. You can ask them to show you the specific contract language that obligates you to perform said actions.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I guess I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm just saying, if someone says you're contractually obligated to do something and you disagree, you don't have to just take them at their word. You can ask them to show you the specific contract language that obligates you to perform said actions.
And the paperwork that they have you sign doesn’t say the service is obligatory either. It goes like this:
Dealer recommends cleaning and lubricating caliper slides (a common, simple add on)
Customer declines
Customer signs paper saying they decline recommended service
Caliper slide locks up due to rust and water intrusion
Dealer denies warranty coverage.

It’s a strong arm tactic of course, but it’s not without good legal standing in the case of the warranty. It’s not like they are saying denying tire shine will void engine warranty.

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

And the paperwork that they have you sign doesn’t say the service is obligatory either. It goes like this:
Dealer recommends cleaning and lubricating caliper slides (a common, simple add on)
Customer declines
Customer signs paper saying they decline recommended service
Caliper slide locks up due to rust and water intrusion
Dealer denies warranty coverage.

It’s a strong arm tactic of course, but it’s not without good legal standing in the case of the warranty. It’s not like they are saying denying tire shine will void engine warranty.
I think we're saying the same thing from a different angle.

I'm saying sign and do nothing, without them showing you that you're required to do or sign something. Ya know?

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Disclaimer:
tl;dr BLUF -summary - digest - short statement for people with short attention span ;) - don't call me names just because I like to write or ramble in detail.

Sorry that you had to go thru what you went thru. My experience with North NJ Dealership were HORRIBLE! They are a pain to deal with and are not transparent. Next time try Alex M. at Suresky CDJR at Goshen NJ for no frills, no BS transaction in Jeep sales and services.

Detailed experience here:

North Jersey here. I have bought three Jeeps for the past 3 years (the first one was a 2019 Sport S that I had to trade in for 2021 Rubi as it was making some noise in the rear differential. I just custom order a 2022 JLUR).

My experience with most of North Jersey Jeep dealership - Teterboro, Rt 17, Rt 46, Paramus (and 2 others) has been super negative. They are arrogant, they overcharge, they don't listen to my needs, and I don't think that these assholes have any idea of how to do business. Don't even get me into the issue of transparencies - a price was quote and agreed upon but when I was about to pay - the price change. And all the additional fees that was tacked on it. It was a HORRIBLE experience.

So I don't blame you that you got some asswipe dealership that tried to do what they do to you. I would NEVER shop at any dealership around my place - period.

Out of frustration and hearing that New York State have a fixed document fees of $75, I decided to check out some NY dealership for my 2019 Jeep - I found one close to Jersey border and I think I paid an okay price then (I did not join this forum yet). I got a problematic Jeep from that place (not their fault of course). This forum educated me a LOT on Jeep - and I decided to trade in my problematic Jeep for a new Jeep. The original NY dealership sales director that I bought my first Jeep from was a jerk. I jokingly asked him if he is really to make a sale - and he sourly told me - it depends. 🙄 And then he quote me above average price and would not budge on the price.

I already have the price in mind due to the information and price sheet that I got from this amazing forum and all the awesome members - and what that dealership quoted was way too high. Not to mention that the sales director gave me the impression that he is not that interested in making the sales even though I have good relationship with his staff and the service department. So bye bye.

I was doing a price comparison with most of the dealership that was below MSRP here (you know the two competitive dealership) they were quick to get back but I am too far from them. Someone here recommended Suresky CDJR in one of the thread and that was one of the BEST thing that had ever happened to me.

I emailed Alex Musumeci - VP Sales and deals with online inquiries and he gave me the price that I exactly have in my mind. No bullshit. He was very direct, transparent - honest (hard to say that about many dealership) and he gave me a very good price for my 2019 Jeep trade in. He gave me about 5% below invoice - factoring in the trade in and closer to my home (about an hour away) I bought a 2021 Rubicon from him. Super easy transaction. We did everything via email. I did not meet him until the day I picked up my Jeep.

They have amazing service department - I was having slight wiring issue and they took care of it immediately. I think I had two oil change (I am running about 14000 miles now) and I think through Jeep Cares - I did not have to pay for the oil change.

Recently I ordered 2022 JLUR (Gobi) and I was really happy and surprised that I got about 4% below invoice from Alex when other dealership was playing hard to get and charge way above MSRP due to scarcity. He also gave me a price above what Carvana for my Honda CRV. So yes I sing his praises. Its the best dealership ever. I would not hesitate to recommend him. Perhaps you might want to try out Suresky Jeep in Goshen (845-450-0013) for your future service needs. Yes it might be a bit out of your way but a drive through Palisades Parkway is always a pleasant experience.

I wish you all the best. I am really sorry that you had to go through all that negative crap. NJ dealerships suck.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase