Sponsored

First Round of Mods + Red Seat Belts!

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Been following the forums closely for the last year and a half awaiting the diesel JL to be released, but finally decided to just pull the trigger on a Sting Gray fully loaded 2.0L Turbo in August and couldn't be happier with it! Sold my 2012 White JKU after picking up the JL. First round of mods is pretty much done...

Farewell to the JK:
IMG_6971.jpg
IMG_4884.jpg

JL Getting Upgraded at the Dealer and Delivery Day:

20180821_120805.jpg
IMG_2787.jpg

JL After Round 1 of Mods:

IMG_0026.jpg IMG_0020.jpg

Exterior:

- Paint protection film: Got the Xpel film put on immediately after brining the JL home, did the full hood, front grille, all lights, and all 4 full fenders. Overall the JL seemed easier than the JK to wrap and resulted in much less seams especially on the fenders. On the hood I removed the Rubicon decals and put them back on over the film to avoid the little bubble around the decals I had on my JK when I went over them, makes the film virtually invisible and highly recommend it this way!

IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0028.jpg

- Ceramic coat: Also applied the Gyeon ceramic coating over the entire vehicle including where the PPF was, crazy how well this stuff works, makes the Jeep look so clean even after a few weeks, bugs etc. are so much easier to remove after road trips, totally worth it.

IMG_0030.jpg

- Tint: tinted the front windows to match the rears

- Swapped out the antenna for a black one, not a huge fan of the shorter ones so stuck with the original size but blacked out

- Painted the muffler black

- Mopar 2" Lift: had this dealer installed before picking up the JL, a little bit surprised at how high it ended up being, way higher than my JK and much more than a 2" lift!

- Mopar Rock Rail Sliders: had these dealer installed also, I had the ACE rock rails on my JK and wasn't a huge fan of how they looked when doubled up over the stock rubi rock rails, went with these mopar rails as they still offer protection and offer enough of a step to make it easy to get in./out and have a sleeker profile than the ACE rails

IMG_0031.jpg

- Wheels/Tires: Went with the Quadratec hard rock style wheels, loved these on my JK but wanted a blacked out look and the wide wheel, and went with the 35" BFG K02s, very happy so far with these, getting 20-21 MPG mixed city/hwy with these and the lift, missed the little red Willy’s Jeep from the factory wheels so added some decals

IMG_0023.jpg

- Spare tire reinforcement: Added the mopar kit as well, like the look and at least the peace of mind, not sure it does much
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Lighting

- Rigid Midnight 20" light bar: swapped this over from my JK and wired up to the aux switches, to my surprise the rigid L brackets that come with it were very close to lining up with the factory bolts on the steel bumper, bent the brackets a tiny bit and lined the bottom with foam to protect the bumper and the mount is rock solid, secured it with light lock bolts for a little bit of theft protection

IMG_0024.jpg

- Rigid Midnight 6" SR light bars: also swapped over from my JK but needed the updated JL brackets from ZRoadZ, wired these up to an aux switch as well

IMG_0032.jpg

- Rigid Midnight Dually Diffused cubes: since the reverse lights on the LED tail lights are not replaceable/swappable with brighter bulbs, I added these duallys next to my hitch. I don't tow so I didn't mind blocking the tow connectors, if I use my hitch its for a bike rack etc. These were also mounted to factory bolts in the bumper and I wired these up to the reverse lights to come on automatically, huge improvement now and they are low/pointed down so they don't blind anyone behind you

IMG_0033.jpg

- Brawlee tailgate LED: added this to the rear window and wired it inside the factory tubing that was already there and inside the hardtop so no wiring is visible except at the hard top disconnect point. Wired this up to a switch in the cargo area

IMG_0009.jpg
3031838E-3706-4915-A569-5D0EEB3A9EC0.jpeg

- 3rd brake light flasher: wired up my 3rd brake light flasher which flashes the 3rd brake light 4 times before it goes solid when you apply the brakes, had this on my JK as well, little extra safety for those distracted drivers behind you, I was able to squeeze the tiny little module into the actual 3rd brake light stand/housing so it was pretty easy to install

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Interior

- Mopar tailgate table: added this as well as some molle bags, made some custom patches to keep everything organized (yes its OCD hahah) but the patches came out pretty nice, added bags to the back of the front seats as well with patches

EDIT:
the smaller bags on the seat backs are these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075BKFS69/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the four bags on the tailgate table are these in the various colors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DF1SRL4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

more info on the patches in my thread here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/custom-jeep-patches-for-molle-bags.14950/

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg

- Under seat bags: Wanted a little extra storage so grabbed the JK under seat storage bags from Dirt Bagz, they fit the JL just fine, provide some extra storage, and when you need to put the seats down you just pull them right out, much easier than just throwing a bunch of crap under the seats, added patches to these as well

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

- Floor mats: added the mopar slush mats and rear cargo mat (kind of annoying to have to cut the seat fabric to install that and they dont stay clipped in well, added the molded mopar mat for the storage tray under the cargo area as well in addition to the mopar door sills

IMG_0039 2.jpg

- Fire Extinguisher / Snow Brush Mounts: added a fire extinguisher mount on one roll bar and used a flash light mount to mount my snow brush on the other side with the factory mounting bolts

IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg

- Tuffy Safe w/ light: added the Tuffy center console safe with the combo and wired up an LED light inside of it that is wired up to the ignition on wire from the footwell aux wires, much easier to see whats in the safe now when reaching in to grab stuff

IMG_3081.jpg
IMG_3083.jpg
IMG_3082.jpg

- Rewired my iPhone cable: didn't like the iPhone cable for CarPlay coming out of the console out the top of the safe so I drilled down into the console under the mat and ran the cable down and out the center console and it comes up near the e-brake since I keep my phone in the cup holder or under the e-brake.

IMG_0040.jpg

- Custom seat covers: like to keep seat covers handy for the dogs or messy days so I had these amazon covers embroidered with the Rubicon logo to match the seat embroidery

IMG_0043.jpg

- Other misc: added the Tazer JL, a sunglass roll bar holder from my JK, screen protector on the UConnect... also turned my Mopar crate that the lift kit came in into a little step to help the pup get into the back since its borderline a little high, worked perfectly!

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg

Still To Do

Next few items on my list:

- Black lug nuts/locks: I've got the black gorilla locks/lug nuts waiting to go on, haven't had a chance yet

- Red seatbelts: loved my recon red seatbelts I added to my JK, since these aren't available for the JL, I picked up a fresh set of black JL seatbelts and am having them refinished currently in red, they should be back next week and will be installing them then

- Roof racks: debating if I am going to stick with my Thule roof rack I have or give the Mopar one a shot

- Hood lock: waiting on this to be released still

Update 10/20/18:

Red seat belts are in!

IMG_0325.jpeg

IMG_0324.jpeg

IMG_0327.jpeg

IMG_0326.jpeg

Last edited:

cwadle

First Name
cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
wow! Super thought through, Seems like you're really going all out on the jeep! Love it!

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Like they say,” if you want it done right, do it yourself “ And you did one hell of a nice job !
Question for you, the third brake module, where did you get it ? Thanks and enjoy your ride

Nickmimi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON diesel - Sarge
Looks great. Where did you get the bags for the tailgate and seat backs? Who made your patches? Thanks for sharing.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
This is fantastic. Where did you get the patches done? And please post a link for those seat covers.

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Awesome job !
wow! Super thought through, Seems like you're really going all out on the jeep! Love it!
thanks!

Like they say,” if you want it done right, do it yourself “ And you did one hell of a nice job !
Question for you, the third brake module, where did you get it ? Thanks and enjoy your ride
thank you sir. the module is from Amazon, had it in my JK and swapped it over: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SQEI4GO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Looks great. Where did you get the bags for the tailgate and seat backs? Who made your patches? Thanks for sharing.
This is fantastic. Where did you get the patches done? And please post a link for those seat covers.
thank you! Added links to the bags and patches in the main posts, here they are again:

the smaller bags on the seat backs are these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075BKFS69/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the four bags on the tailgate table are these in the various colors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DF1SRL4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

more info on the patches including my design files you can download and order from the same website as me in my thread here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/custom-jeep-patches-for-molle-bags.14950/

the seat covers are just these that I had embroidered, if you'd like the embroidery file to take it elsewhere near you to have it done let me know via PM I can email it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDGGC6A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored